Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-16-2014, 16:36   #1
WarCry

Denim lint?

So I'm new to this carry thing - as is everyone in IL - so I need some expert help here.

I took my gun out of the holster yesterday to....handle some paperwork, right?....and noticed that there's a LOT of denim lint built up around the barrel (it's a hybrid holster, so the end of the slide/barrel is exposed), but there's also quite a bit around the trigger.

I'm about to strip it down for a quick clean, so I'll see if there's more in other places, but I wanted to see if there's a way to prevent this, or if it's just part of life carrying IWB? It's a G23, so I'm not overly concerned about the gun not working when needed, but I'd prefer to keep it as clean as possible, too.
Old 08-16-2014, 16:47   #2
Bruce M

If you carry a gun daily it will acquire some lint. If you carry a gun daily for years openly or concealed it will acquire some lint for years. It does not seem to matter if it is S&W revolver or a Sig or a H&K or a Glock. It does not seem to matter if the trousers are wool or polyester or denim or if the shirt is cotton or man made. It does seem to me that concealed seems to generate more lint than carrying openly. It does not seem to matter if the holster is leather or manmade stuff made to look and feel like leather or Kydex.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 16:51   #3
itstime

Lint happens. You're gonna have it.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 18:05   #4
Pierre!
NRA Life Member

Yes, as others have said - Embrace The Lint! You will get to enjoy it as long as you CCW...

Just a quick fluff and buff is all you need from time to time. I keep a horse hair paintbrush handy for times like this.

It's a good problem to have, when you think about it... the ability to collect lint with your firearm *LEGALLY* when carrying concealed!!!

Be Safe Out There...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Download YOUR copy of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

My Gift to You, AND it's >FREE<
Pierre! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 18:26   #5
Patchman
Florist

OCing would have prevent this.

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 19:02   #6
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
OCing would have prevent this.
And put me in jail.

I know it's probably a really dumb thing to worry about, and I'm sure some are shaking their head, but these are the little things that aren't talked about a lot because it is, apparently, so common. There are just some of us (about 70,000, last I heard) in IL that are just learning these things, and it's all new to us*.

*probably a few less than the 70,000, since I'm sure some folk had them in other states at some point.
Old 08-16-2014, 19:19   #7
John Rambo
Raven

Lint happens. Don't get too concerned about it. The gun will still go bang if you need it to. If you get some serious dust bunnies around your hammer and such, it might be time to pick 'em out, but I don't ever bother and none of my guns have ever malfunctioned.
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 19:33   #8
xmanhockey7

I've never had this issue. Even my guns I pocket carry have been lint free.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:44   #9
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Hey warcry! Glad to hear you are carrying everyday. I haven't left my house without it since I got my permit in hand.

As far as lint once a week I clean my carry gun(s).

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire
Old 08-17-2014, 04:55   #10
RonS

I have always found that denim jeans generate a good bit of lint. I used to wear jeans seven days a week but for the last few years I have been wearing Docker type pants and twill cargo pants because they are cooler and lighter. I get less lint in my pocket knives since then. (I seldom pocket carry my Glock, only if I am at home and just feel the need to use my pocket holster instead of putting on a real holster.)
Old 08-17-2014, 07:23   #11
ca survivor

I have a little brush, that I brush the lint off every 4 to 5 days.
Old 08-17-2014, 13:11   #12
Caver 60

Wal Mart sells a really good can of 'compressed air'. (Actually it's not compressed air, but serves the same purpose). It's called Ultra Duster and is sold back in electronics. The can is a sort of greenish/reddish color with a green plastic spray top. The label also says 'Industrial Strength'.

Works great for blowing the 'dust bunnies' out of places they shouldn't be. And if some of the liquid comes out of the can it won't hurt anything. It's safe for electronics and even labeled for guns.
Caver 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 13:56   #13
Patchman
Florist

I blow lint off every part of a Glock EXCEPT for the backstrap space/gap (whatever you call it). It you blow it, it gets blown into the gun. Instead, I use a Q-tip to wipe the lint out.

Old 08-17-2014, 14:04   #14
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

I use this to determine when to clean the gun. I always clean after a range session but in between I clean to clear lint. As others said, do not blow lint into the action, so I power wash with aerosol cleaner from the inside out or disassemble and clean with solvent and air or ultrasonic. Lint picks up the oil (what little there is).

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 15:06   #15
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
Lint picks up the oil (what little there is).
Yes, lint is attracted to excess oil. Also remember that plastic in general attracts dust/lint.

Last edited by Patchman; 08-17-2014 at 15:06..
Old 08-17-2014, 20:08   #16
Current Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caver 60 View Post
Wal Mart sells a really good can of 'compressed air'. (Actually it's not compressed air, but serves the same purpose). It's called Ultra Duster and is sold back in electronics. The can is a sort of greenish/reddish color with a green plastic spray top. The label also says 'Industrial Strength'.

Works great for blowing the 'dust bunnies' out of places they shouldn't be. And if some of the liquid comes out of the can it won't hurt anything. It's safe for electronics and even labeled for guns.
That is a great solution for those without an air compressor
Old 08-18-2014, 06:52   #17
SouthernBoyVA

First up, don't use oil or grease to lube your carry gun. Use a quality dry lube such as Hornady's One Shot. While it will not stop lint/dirt buildup, it will reduce it considerably. And it is a fine lubricant to boot.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:43   #18
Dave514

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
I've never had this issue. Even my guns I pocket carry have been lint free.

I suppose it depends on the material of the pants. Some of those 'new' synthetics are lint free.

Carry Issues
Dave514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:48   #19
poodleplumber

I'm another of those "brush it off a couple times a week" guys. I don't necessarily do so before range trips, and I have never had a problem. Seems like lint is a small problem not worth sweating.
poodleplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 00:01   #20
Chuck TX
CLM Number 243
Charter Lifetime Member

I just clean it up from time to time or blow it out with an air compressor.