GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:10   #81
Frank V

I think a gun writer one time (might have been Massad) said he tried carrying a black gun in a black OWB holster wearing a dark shirt & was amazed at the lack of poeple that even notticed. Could be?
Frank
Old 06-19-2011, 17:05   #82
1911gobang

OC stories....

After our local IDPA matches, there is usually a group that will converge on a local restaurant for lunch. The first one that comes to mind is a Chinese buffet. There was about 14 of us in one group, and about 10 in a second group, nearly all of us OC'ing, and not one altercation. There were a few looks, and a couple of the guys were asked what they were carrying, and that was it.

The next one that comes to mind was a group of about 12 of us stopped at a local Andy's and, except for my 13 year old, we were all OC'ing. We walked in a sat down next to a table with three state troopers and two local SD officers, and again, not a word was said....when we all walked in as a group, you could have heard a pin drop (seriously....just like an old west movie....) but when we all sat down and started ****-chat, everything went back to normal.....

It's amazing how friendly and polite people get when there are folks around who aren't afraid to excercise their 2A rights....

Fortunately, I live in a fairly conservative area, and apparently OC isn't a big deal....NC has a law on the books about "going armed to the terror of the public" that I am waiting on clarification of, but I prefer OC. I have nothing to hide, and I want otherhuman scum to know that I ain't their *****.....

Of course I have my CHP, and I will play by the rules to keep it, but OC just screams "Don't start none, won't be none...."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

2008 F250 Super Duty 4x4 Crew Cab for sale!!
1911gobang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 17:39   #83
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Open carried to Kroger today. The only OC related 'event' was when I just barely overhead some small child asking his mother, in a confused voice, about how I was police with a tattoo on my leg.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:04   #84
SouthernBoyVA

Over the past month or so, I've had more than the usual number of folks making comments and talking to me when I have been OC'ing. None were negative. In fact not only were they all positive, but engaging as well. I expect that here in Virginia, even from foreigners (read that as out-of-staters).

The GATTTOTP law in North Carolina is a strange one and can be a Catch-22 event unfortunately. I have CC'd through NC but have never OC'd there. I'm afraid I might slip up and do something not in accordance with NC laws because in Virginia, OC'ing is the normal mode of carry whereas CC'ing is the exceptional mode.
Old 06-25-2011, 21:02   #85
KiloLee
Glock 17-RTF2

Send a message via AIM to KiloLee
About two weeks ago, I had the displeasure of walking into a local 1-stop-shop gas station near my home. I was simply getting some gas, drinks and snacks with my G17 on my hip. As it's my turn in line to approach the counter, the attendant suddenly puts her hands together in a "pistol" formation, and loudly "fires" several times in my direction, in this highly occupied store. I give her the "are you serious?"-stare and place my items on the counter. She is still "firing." She rings me up, gives me my total, and proceeds to basically SCREAM "Why you gets ta carry dat big 'ol gun around!? Who be lettin' you do dat!? Why you need dat!?"

Carry Issues

I handed her my payment, recieved my change, and replied "To protect us all from idiots like you." Her jaw dropped, and several other customers busted out laughing. I just walked out, shaking my head.

Why is it that people think anything like that is funny/acceptable?

...But complain about them doing their jobs when they ARE around?
KiloLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 21:03   #86
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloLee View Post
About two weeks ago, I had the displeasure of walking into a local 1-stop-shop gas station near my home. I was simply getting some gas, drinks and snacks with my G17 on my hip. As it's my turn in line to approach the counter, the attendant suddenly puts her hands together in a "pistol" formation, and loudly "fires" several times in my direction, in this highly occupied store. I give her the "are you serious?"-stare and place my items on the counter. She is still "firing." She rings me up, gives me my total, and proceeds to basically SCREAM "Why you gets ta carry dat big 'ol gun around!? Who be lettin' you do dat!? Why you need dat!?"

Carry Issues

I handed her my payment, recieved my change, and replied "To protect us all from idiots like you." Her jaw dropped, and several other customers busted out laughing. I just walked out, shaking my head.

Why is it that people think anything like that is funny/acceptable?

That's hilarious

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 07-06-2011, 14:44   #87
stevo1001

Its soooo freaking hot here in florida and i have a 30inch waist i can still get away with a kinda loose shirt but i would still love to have my 23 on the out side so i can where a guy harvey shirt in my size....LETS GOO FLORIDA GET ON THE FREAKING TRAIN
stevo1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:48   #88
jdorson1

No open carry in Florida

We have had ccw here in Florida for about 20 years or so but no OC. We now have a very gun friendly governor who just signed into law three gun friendly laws. One of which eliminated as a felony, if your carry gun is seen buy anyone in situations such as the wind blowing open your shirt or taking off or putting on a jacket while getting in or out of a vehicle. This makes me feel more at ease when I carry which in most of the time.

Hopefully the powers to be will begin working on OC laws.
jdorson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:12   #89
Nightrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKINMYGLOCK View Post
People think you are the spawn of Satin if you open carry in northern ohio. That's why I carry IWB.
I live In a suburb of Cleveland, Oh and open cary quite often, I also have a CCW but have never had a bad experince when OC'ing
Nightrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 21:54   #90
RGbiker

New guy here in Arizona. I OC nearly each day. Black handgun of my choice, black belt, black holster, black shirt, dark colored pants and gun is carried cross draw.

I'll bet nobody notices the hand gun.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:48   #91
RGbiker

Another OC day in Tucson over the weekend. Into two liberal people infested restaurants, Beyond Bread on Speedway and Sweet Tomatoes on Broadway.

No issues from management, no screaming soccer moms, no panic calls to 911 and no traumatized children. Just another ordinary OC day in a free state...
Old 08-31-2011, 20:09   #92
MKEgal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hempfieldninja
i just started telling people that im off duty when i see them staring at my hip. that seems to comfort them
And thereby perpetuate the stereotype that the only people with guns are either cops or robbers.
A (very) small part of why I OC is education, getting people to understand that guns do not automatically equal either LEO or criminal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapak2ja
"Do you always carry guns into a family restaurant? You scared the crap out of my kids! Thanks a lot!"
He then turned and walked quickly away.
...OC frightens children and those unused to seeing weapons in public. Therefore, OC should not be practiced in family situations.
OC does not frighten people. In fact, most people don't notice.
If I were wearing a cross & someone else was scared, should I not wear it in public? Should I then be confined to my home? Certainly not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveksux
I think if a man scares my kids because he's carrying a gun, I'm not going to walk up to the scary man with the gun and mouth off...
If he's actually dangerous, and armed, no point in focusing his attention on me.
+100

Quote:
Originally Posted by crsuribe
I would just leave my gun in the car whenever I go to [insert any place]. You're probably gonna get in trouble by obeying that law if people freak out when they see you open carrying, and they probably will.
Spoken like someone who doesn't OC & hasn't seen it.

Carry in a home improvement store: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPeZS2_RA_Q
Same chain, different store, different day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDj0TnKx0UQ
In a grocery store: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMXBaDKUdGg
And the longest, in a bank: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKxYSczw_94

Notice that few people notice, & of the ones who do, most go on about their day. Some smile at me. Nobody freaks out.

#####

Now in line with the topic of the thread...
I posted this in the WI forum of OCDO when it happened, but am happy to share it more widely because it was such a great experience.

My house was burgled about a month ago, & in trying to get info for my insurance co (estimating values of things that were taken) I called a local jewelry store [Kessler's Diamonds in Germantown, WI] to ask if they had a chart I could look at, or maybe I could look at real stones on pieces in the case?

Gal on the phone said "sure, no problem, come on in" so I did.
Looked for signs on the way in, had none.
Went to the desk & introduced myself... same gal I talked w/ on the phone, who definitely saw the G17, but did not freak out.

She showed me to a seat & gave me a chart to look at, & shortly one of the sales people came over & started showing me real stones.
He, too, did not freak out.
In fact, he insisted that I hold a $13,000 2ct diamond solitare.

: drool :

We had a brief chat about carrying, & I told him I appreciated his time & would be telling my friends how well I was treated.
I've had several people, even from a couple hundred miles away, say they'd go to that store just because of their being welcoming.
or see
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
for contact info for my lawer.
MKEgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 20:34   #93
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

More open carry. More "nothing happened, nothing to report".

Well, I guess I have something...I carried my new G21SF for the first time today.

Last edited by Warp; 08-31-2011 at 20:35..
Old 09-05-2011, 09:16   #94
SCmasterblaster

I OC at my NH grocery store every time I go there

I park in the handicap parking spot and walk into the busy grocer OCing my G17. I go and sit in the electric shopping cart and motor all around the store shopping. My G17 is in an open holster at 3 o'clock, and NO ONE has asked me about it.
Old 09-06-2011, 00:08   #95
RGbiker

Another "no serious OC issues to report" from Tucson, in light of the influx of liberal minded parents in town getting their UOA kids settled in for the new semester.

Got a couple of "Stink Eyes" from two women at nearby Trader Joe last week, but manager there is OK with OC or CC in his store.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:04   #96
SCmasterblaster

What 'burb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightrain View Post
I live In a suburb of Cleveland, Oh and open cary quite often, I also have a CCW but have never had a bad experince when OC'ing
I'm from Brook Park, but I live in VT now. I OC in NH.

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 09-06-2011 at 12:05..
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 19:08   #97
RGbiker

Another OC day in Tucson Arizona. Stops included Ace Hardware, Beyond Bread (Trendy sandwich shop where Libs, UOA faculty and other left wingers gather), Walmart, Fry's Food and local indoor pistol range for weekly practice.

No negative issues to report - nothing, nada, zilch..

Maybe I need a bigger handgun?........
Old 09-21-2011, 08:55   #98
SCmasterblaster

I OC in NH quite a bit. Into my big grocery store, into my favorite restaurant. No one ever comments about it here in West Lebanon, NH. Perhaps they all think that I am an LEO . . . . .
Old 09-25-2011, 12:49   #99
BigDeeeeeeee

Open carried for the last couple years here in Idaho, eastern Washington, and western Montana with a couple stink eyes, a dozen "what kind of gun is that?", and just the other day a "I commend you for exercising your rights".

Overall pretty boring around here.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:05   #100
KiloLee
Glock 17-RTF2

Send a message via AIM to KiloLee
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
A (very) small part of why I OC is education, getting people to understand that guns do not automatically equal either LEO or criminal.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Notice that few people notice, & of the ones who do, most go on about their day. Some smile at me. Nobody freaks out.
He, too, did not freak out.
In fact, he insisted that I hold a $13,000 2ct diamond solitare.

1- Education, agreed. I think when most people get scared/worried/concerned, etc., it's because they don't actually know the laws of the area. In fact, I've been questioned by people on a few occassions about legality of carrying and so on. While I share what I "know", I also advise everyone to do their own research, as to not get caught up on any misinformation I may provide. I've even had two gentlemen (seperately) inquire about carrying. I found out that they were new to the state, and had been wanting to carry, but were totally unaware of being able to. I advised them to check on it. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------

2- On a few occassions, I've actually felt kinda bad about some people's reactions to me carrying. I've noticed a few have become really...uneasy, to say the least. I've noticed some places, that I had been before, have their workers suddenly become super-polite, all "yes sir, no sir."

I have NEVER intentionally intimidated anyone, and I don't intend to, so I feel bad when someone becomes genuinely fearful. I do make it a point to be polite from the start, as well. I always greet someone as Sir or Ma'am, please and thank you, that whole bit.

I even had a conversation about a week ago with a guy in the parts department at a local Acura dealership. He spotted my weapon, inquired, even called me on my politeness. He stated that he appreciated it, and it kept him pretty at-ease, though he wasn't really nervous to begin with.

Sorry for my spotty posts, guys. I've been using a slow cell phone to get on here, until today.

...But complain about them doing their jobs when they ARE around?

Last edited by KiloLee; 10-07-2011 at 10:06..
KiloLee is offline   Reply With Quote