Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:03   #101
RussP

Folks, just a reminder that this thread is to post about your personal open carry experiences. It is NOT the place to discuss the posts. Nor is it the place to get into pissing contests. Any more of the latter will result in infractions.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921

Last edited by RussP; 10-07-2011 at 19:33..
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:08   #102
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I open carried my new Ruger GP100 for the first time. It goes in a very nice Simply Rugged Tribute OWB thumbreak holster.

I got a really nice bison burger too.

Carry Issues

Ruger in holster on the right

Carry Issues

I also open carried plenty of other places on plenty of other days. Most recent interactions were a couple nights ago at Walmart. I needed somebody to open the ammo counter in the evening (almost 9pm) and the store was pretty slow/empty, including empty of employees. Nobody was in sporting goods so I went over to automotive. Nobody there either. So I picked up the phone and Dialed 0 then told the operator what I needed. She paged for somebody. About 10 minutes later I repeated that act and she again paged. About 5-7 minutes later I walked up to the front of the store and asked for a manager. The employee asked why, I explained, she was like "oh yeah I've heard that page it's been awhile", so she got somebody else who got on the phone and then another page went out asking specifically for ammo counter keys.

Anyway nobody seemed to act any differently in any way that I could tell and they did eventually get somebody over there with a key so I could buy my ammo. I made it worth their while and spent over a hundred bucks. Service sucks but on some things you cannot beat their prices.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 10-07-2011 at 12:09..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 21:17   #103
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Open Carried again today. Again to the Mall of Georgia, including the Apple Store. Today was the release day of the new iPhone so they were pretty busy. They even had a couple Sheriff Deputies stationed in the store. My wife got a phone and a case. Now I want to upgrade the case on mine...hers is better.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 12-16-2011, 17:11   #104
artosaari33

The girlfriend and I decided we were going to get out and finish our Christmas shopping today. So, i decided to open carry my Glock 19 since I have only open carried once and we were going to be out all day. We did a lot of running from store to store and ended up going to Walmart last. As we were shopping I passed a Louisville Metro cop that was apparently looking for trouble; he confronted me about the glock on my hip and told me i was disturbing the peace and would have to take the gun back to the car and I could come back in. We argued for a few minutes, then I just gave up because this guy was just not gonna give up and let me go on my way..... just figured I'd share.

[Moderator Note: There is a new thread in the open forum [URL="http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1388201"]Open Carry experience at Walmart in Kentucky[/URL] for further discussion of this post.

Last edited by RussP; 12-18-2011 at 19:07..
artosaari33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 14:09   #105
xmanhockey7

Since so many people seem to think OCers are causing panic and people to wet their pants I will do what I do on OCDO when I open carry. I will share whatever happens when I OC. Whether it be nothing happens or I get tackled, tased, and arrested.

Today I open carried to get a physical at a new doctors office. When I was in the reception area there was an elderly man (probably in his 80s) who could barely walk and was trying to find a place to put his coat. There was a coat rack across the room. I asked him if he was looking for a place to put his coat and he answered yes. I told him I could put it up on the coat rack if he'd like and he said he would. So I hung up his coat as I was being called to see the doctor. The nurse or whatever the assistants are called didn't make any mention to my gun and neither did the doctor. When I was done and checking out I saw a girl about 20 in the reception area noticed but didn't get me a second look or pee her pants or run out screaming into busy traffic.

Then I went to get lunch at a local restaurant called Taco Bobs. It's a small fast food place. Walked in and noticed the only person there notice my gun but again not a second look or wet pants. The owner was there as was another girl who has been working there for years. They're used to me OCing in fact this was the first place I ever OCed and the owner told me he felt safer, figured someone looking to rob them would probably leave if they saw me (maybe it's my physical stature and not the gun. I am 5'7 150ibs ) While I was eating the other man in the restaurant finished his food, then stood up and asked me if I needed a permit to carry like that. I explained to OC in MI you do not need a permit but if you don't have one it can be very restrictive. Gave him a quick overview regarding OC in MI. Overall good day OCing.
xmanhockey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 14:12   #106
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've open carried a few more times since I last posted about it. I went several places, from a gas station to a restaurant to a very large shopping mall.

Nothing at all to report beyond that.

Old 12-19-2011, 19:47   #107
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I guess I jinxed myself. This evening I had my first ever contact by a LEO while open carrying.

My wife and I were getting some last minute Christmas stuff at the Mall of Georgia. As I exited the restroom I walked by a uniform Gwinnett County Police Department Officer. Not long after exiting (into the edge of the food court) I saw their color of blue approaching me from behind and slightly off to the side. I slowed down and looked slightly in his direction, he made eye contact and said: (these will mostly be paraphrased, only some exact quotes)

Officer: May I see a permit?

Warp: Sure. [retrieves wallet from offside cargo pocket and hands over GFL and driver license]

Officer: [Looks over permit/license] It is not illegal, but maybe not the best idea to walk around the mall with a firearm visible to everybody.

Warp: Sideways head nod of acknowledgement of his statement

Officer: Somebody might freak out.

Warp: Nobody has yet that I am aware of and this is, oh, maybe my 20th time.

Officer: Why do you think I'm here?

Warp: I don't know.

Officer: Somebody looked at me and pointed at you as you walked by.

Warp: Okay.

Officer: [Explains that business may post no firearms and that that is binding, etc, and if they do it is binding.]

Warp: I understand, private businesses have the right to say what happens on their property. I haven't seen many of those signs down here in GA, the only one I know of is the Jared's jewelry store across the street.

Officer: The Havertys across the street is posted, and you will be stopped and asked to leave.

Warp: Okay...the Jareds and the Havertys?

Officer: Yes. Just be aware and that anywhere you might be stopped and asked for a permit.

Warp: I understand, that is reasonable.

Officer: [Returned my GFL/License] and said something that ended with Thank You.

I smiled and said Thank You, and we went our separate ways.

At no time during the interaction did he get on the radio. There were other officers in the area, as always...it's the Mall of Georgia...and in fact after he walked away I saw another uniform officer on the other side of the food court. The officer must not have been overly concerned as he approached me alone, despite backup being literally 20 seconds away, and he only looked at my GLF/DL without even getting on the radio for a quick background check.

There were a few other little things mentioned I left out because they are insignificant and I cannot remember the wording well enough. He mentioned that my permit was going to expire in the coming year and I said yes, I would be sure to renew it.

The whole thing probably took, oh...2 minutes?

And because I like pictures: I was wearing the Ruger GP100 in a Simply Rugged Tribute OWB holster (picture right) with a tan Beltman belt, kaki cargos, brown shoes and a tucked short sleeve T-shirt from Eddie Bauer

Carry Issues

Last edited by Warp; 12-19-2011 at 19:58..
Old 12-19-2011, 21:51   #108
xmanhockey7

Looks like you handled it well. I posted earlier that someone from Consumers Energy came to my house and I was open carrying. It doesn't appear he was actually from CE. I posted this on OCDO so I'm going to copy and paste it here:
Here comes the weird part of my day. I was laying in my room looking at some gun forums when I hear our sensor for the door go off and a knock. I was already OCing my Glock 22. I answer the door to a male claiming to be from Consumer Energy. I saw him look at my gun once but that was it. Said people in the area were complaining about gas prices being too high and wanting to see our statement and meter to make sure everything was ok. I told him I wasn't the home owner and he'd need to wait for my mom to get home. He asked if the next time he saw a car in the drive way if it would be her and I said yes. He said he'd come back later. I told my mom about this when she got home and said her CPL instructor (Sgt. for Kalamazoo County) warned them when this kind of stuff happens it could be a burglar looking to see if someone is home. Now the thing is this guy came a little after 3 o'clock when normally nobody is home. My step dad has already left for work and my mom is off picking my brother up from school. Only reason I'm home is because I'm home for xmas break. We did call Consumers and they said no one should be out here and they have not had that problem that they know of. Called the police and are waiting for them to show up. I'm hoping I scared him away.
Old 12-19-2011, 22:06   #109
Misty02

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
Looks like you handled it well. I posted earlier that someone from Consumers Energy came to my house and I was open carrying. It doesn't appear he was actually from CE. I posted this on OCDO so I'm going to copy and paste it here:
Here comes the weird part of my day. I was laying in my room looking at some gun forums when I hear our sensor for the door go off and a knock. I was already OCing my Glock 22. I answer the door to a male claiming to be from Consumer Energy. I saw him look at my gun once but that was it. Said people in the area were complaining about gas prices being too high and wanting to see our statement and meter to make sure everything was ok. I told him I wasn't the home owner and he'd need to wait for my mom to get home. He asked if the next time he saw a car in the drive way if it would be her and I said yes. He said he'd come back later. I told my mom about this when she got home and said her CPL instructor (Sgt. for Kalamazoo County) warned them when this kind of stuff happens it could be a burglar looking to see if someone is home. Now the thing is this guy came a little after 3 o'clock when normally nobody is home. My step dad has already left for work and my mom is off picking my brother up from school. Only reason I'm home is because I'm home for xmas break. We did call Consumers and they said no one should be out here and they have not had that problem that they know of. Called the police and are waiting for them to show up. I'm hoping I scared him away.
This is the Open Carry thread so I’m not going to go “full Mom” on you.

(Never open the door to strangers! If you must do a brief interview through the closed door, body to side where the wall and door frame is. Whatever they’re selling, you’re not interested. Worst case scenario, call the company they say they’re from and confirm before opening any doors.)

"In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them." - Sun Tzu

Outpost Member #69
Misty02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:06   #110
SouthernBoyVA

Let's see. Yesterday I OC'd at a local MacDonald's for a quick breakfast.. that place is always crowded. Then on to Lowe's for a few things. PetsMart was next. Then finally to Best Buy.

No one stared that I saw, no screaming, grabbing of children and running for the door and no comments of any kind from anyone. But then again, this IS Virginia and that is what I would expect to be the norm.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:18   #111
cgaler
CGALEUSMC

Anybody on here with negative experiences in Missouri. I haven't seen one post either way from Mo. open or ccw carriers????????????
cgaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:43   #112
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaler View Post
Anybody on here with negative experiences in Missouri. I haven't seen one post either way from Mo. open or ccw carriers????????????
I OC in SW MO. Springfield is OK, however Ozark, Nixa and Branson do not allow OC. There have been some references made about these cities allowing it, but only with a CCW permit. I have not confirmed this.

The Opencarry Forum, in the State sections, go to MO; this is a start to getting the specifics for MO.

I tried to OC this weekend, however, my wife doesn't care for it, so it was CCW only. Plus, we were going to the mall which posts no OC/CCW.

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632
The 10 Ring #00720

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. JTull7
R.I.P. Mullah (aka El_Ron1) ~ R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:43   #113
Oramac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaler View Post

Missouri is extremely hit and miss with regard to OC. It's left up to the individual cities/counties as to whether it's legal or not.

Check out this thread on OCDO for specific Missouri OC stories. Also, take a look around the MO section as well. Plenty of good info there.
Oramac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 19:28   #114
xmanhockey7

Open carried at Steak n Shake at around midnight. Went with a high school friend. Only a couple other group of people in there but everyone was at proximal tables. When the waitress saw my gun she said "wow you have a gun!" I said yes I do. She said she hadn't seen anyone carry like that but would like to get a gun for herself when she turns 18 and will look into being able to OC. When I went up to pay a few 17-18 year olds noticed and were looking at my gun but other than that no one else noticed or cared.
This afternoon I OCed for a dermatologist appointment. A guy in his 60s noticed my gun and stared for a second then went back to reading his magazine while shaking his head. Other than that no other looks and no comments. Nobody appeared to pee themselves or even care.
Old 12-21-2011, 21:35   #115
xmanhockey7

Open carried at Lowe's, Home Depot, and Best Buy. No problems or issues at any location.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:21   #116
SGT HATRED

Just got home from OCing at CVS. Before I left I put on my black hawk cqc, chambered a round and holstered my 220 elite. Grabbed an extra mag threw on a light unzipped sweater and out the door I went. Picked up a few last christmas cards with no stink eyes or even second glances.

However when I got home and went to put the sig back in the safe, I realized that what I thought was my extra mag was actually the magazine I had intended to put in the pistol. I was quite embarrassed with myself but thankful for the sweater which concealed it if looking from behind. Anywho a rookie mistake that won't happen again...
SGT HATRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 16:43   #117
SCmasterblaster

My biggest problem here in VT on the NH border is with my G17 carry. I can OC or CCW in VT, but in NH I must OC. In the winter-time weather, I have a heavy coat on, covering my G17. But If I cross the border into NH I must take the coat off and never wear it, for wearing it in NH would mean CCWing my G17 unlawfully. Yes, for $100 that I don't have, I could get an out-of-state CCW in NH, but I don't have $100 for a long while. For now, I'll just have to go outside without a coat(!)

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 09-15-2013 at 13:31..
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 21:43   #118
RussP

Folks, again, this thread is for telling about our OC experiences.

If you feel compelled to reply to a post, please do so by private message (PM) to the poster, or copy the post and quote it in your post starting a new thread.

Thanks

RussP

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921

Last edited by RussP; 12-22-2011 at 21:44..
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:38   #119
SouthernBoyVA

Well in 16 1/2 years of carrying on a regular basis, with the past 4 1/2 years being overwhelmingly open carry, I had a first-time experience around 11:45 this morning.

I was in Wegman's just west of Gainesville, VA on route 29, looking for something I couldn't find in some other stores. As I was paying at a register, a man in a uniform walked up to me and said, "Excuse me sir. We received a call about a suspicious person with a gun." I was both shocked and thought he was kidding (I had not determined initially that he was a county officer). I patted him with my open left hand on his upper arm and said, "You're kidding", then saw the county LEO patch on his jacket.

The whole time he was smiling so I did think he was kidding and maybe knew me. He then asked if I normally open carried to which I responded that I do both but mostly open carry because I have osteoarthritis in both knees. Then we (he, myself, and the cashier (an older man) joked about showing ID's for beer purchases (I was buying some wine along with something else). He asked where I lived (not an address, just a general area) and I told him, we bid each other good day and Merry Christmas, and he left. He never asked for an ID, was as pleasant as can be, smiled the entire time, and for some reason I got the very distinct impression that he didn't really want to approach me but felt he'd do the minimum just so he could report back. And the minimum was all he did.

I guess I'm not totally surprised knowing what kind of people frequent Wegman's. There seems to be a higher percentage of folks from out of state; Maryland, New York, and New Jersey seem to be the most common out-of-staters (I take notice of license plates when I go there). Plus the demographics of their customers are more to the left I would wager. And the place was packed this morning.

But this was a first for me. I would have loved to have know if the person making the report was an out-of-stater or someone not native to Virginia.

Last edited by SouthernBoyVA; 12-23-2011 at 14:59..
SouthernBoyVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 18:23   #120
xmanhockey7

OC'd at Steak n Shake (again). No problems or issues. I didn't even notice any looks.