SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-27-2010, 19:35   #1
CDR_Glock

History of the pistol in the US Military

Mas

I want to thank you for answering all of the questions that I have asked thus far. Your experience and insight has made me wiser.

What, in your opinion, is the best pistol used by the military? The 1911 or the Beretta M9? Does your opinion regarding the choice to apply to both our men and women in the military?

With what you know in the industry and the history of handguns in the military, do you see another change in the official pistol being used?

I have read that the Beretta 9mm is the most reliable 9mm pistol to exist. Is that true? What is the most reliable pistol in other calibers, such as the 45 ACP and the 40 SW? I would favor the Glock, personally, for the latter two with the 19 as a tie with the Beretta.
CDR_Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 23:50   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

The military by and large is happy with the Beretta M9. It's one of my own favorite pistols, FWIW. History shows it to have a very high order of reliability, up there at the top with the Glock, so long as it is issued with appropriate magazines.

The M9 has a long trigger reach that can be problematic for those with short fingers, a category that includes a disporportionate number of female troops. In that regard, the 1911A1 has the shortest trigger reach, followed by the Glock, with the M9 third in that particular lineup.

With GI ball, I definitely prefer the .45 to the 9mm.

I wouldn't be at all suprised to see limited runs of .45s being accepted for special purposes somewhere down the road, but I'd be surprised to see the 9mm M9 replaced as a general issue service pistol anytime soon.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 18:24   #3
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mas Ayoob View Post
The military by and large is happy with the Beretta M9. It's one of my own favorite pistols, FWIW. History shows it to have a very high order of reliability, up there at the top with the Glock, so long as it is issued with appropriate magazines.

The M9 has a long trigger reach that can be problematic for those with short fingers, a category that includes a disporportionate number of female troops. In that regard, the 1911A1 has the shortest trigger reach, followed by the Glock, with the M9 third in that particular lineup.

With GI ball, I definitely prefer the .45 to the 9mm.

I wouldn't be at all suprised to see limited runs of .45s being accepted for special purposes somewhere down the road, but I'd be surprised to see the 9mm M9 replaced as a general issue service pistol anytime soon.

best,
Mas
I am considering an additional pistol for home defense, plinking and possible concealment (I already carry a Glock 23 and 27).

What are your thoughts about concealing a Beretta 92 FS INOX?

I have considered a Stainless 1911 45 ACP, also (Colt Gold Cup Trophy). What would you recommend for a 1911 Stainless 45 ACP in the $900-$1000 price range (new)?

I would eventually want to get the 1911 with your signature on it for $2300. Maybe it can be my retirement gift or when I make O-6 in the military.
Old 07-28-2010, 18:54   #4
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Stainless Berettas are good. So are stainless 1911s, of course. In the price range you cite, my Colt, Springfield, and Kimber guns have all served me well. I'm very pleased with the way the Signature Model Ed Brown guns came out, but you'll have to check with Ed Brown Custom to see if they're available at this time. It was my understanding that the "signature models" only ran for a year at a time, and I believe the year for the one with my name on it has run out.

best wishes,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 21:22   #5
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mas Ayoob View Post
Stainless Berettas are good. So are stainless 1911s, of course. In the price range you cite, my Colt, Springfield, and Kimber guns have all served me well. I'm very pleased with the way the Signature Model Ed Brown guns came out, but you'll have to check with Ed Brown Custom to see if they're available at this time. It was my understanding that the "signature models" only ran for a year at a time, and I believe the year for the one with my name on it has run out.

best wishes,
Mas
I saw the Custom Ed Brown in a store (it was still there about a month ago). Beautiful gun. A little steep for me, right now.

I ended up buying a Kimber Pro Raptor II for concealment.

Thanks for all of your advice, all of the time. We all appreciate your extensive participation on this board.

Last edited by CDR_Glock; 07-29-2010 at 19:45..