Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:42   #1
PhoenixCCW

Fed up with my PM9

First off, I've been a loyal and raving fan of Kahr since I got my PM9 in 2005, so this isn't a flame thread or anything like that. I'm just expressing my frustration with the sudden demise of the formerly reliable gun after 5 years and several thousand rounds and, even more so, Kahr's seeming lack of care with fixing the problem (granted Ian is no longer there - he was the helpful one).

In any case it started recently when I suddenly couldn't lock the slide back. After trying a few of their suggestions, including clipping a turn or two off the recoil spring (which to me is totally unacceptable in a carry piece), they agreed to take the gun back for service. It came back with, you guessed it, the end of the recoil spring clipped! They also replaced the slide lock and magazine catch.

Tried to lock it back - VERY stiff - but I could do it so fine. Off to the range, 100 rounds with zero failures. Back again a week later and another 100 rounds with zero failures. Nice! I was ready to put it back into my carry rotation, until......

I broke the gun down for cleaning and lots of black plastic shavings fell out. Sure enough the right-side polymer frame rail, directly above the trigger, was chewed up and thinned out to half the original thickness. Not only unreliable for carry, but unsafe for shooting if you ask me.

I contacted Kahr again. Their reply? "This is normal!" WHAT??? Sorry guys but break-in happened many thousands of rounds ago!

At this point I'm very disappointed with Kahr and afraid that I have an expensive paperweight on my hands. In any case I rarely carry it anymore anyway because I can conceal my G27 almost as easily, but still, I want something to carry when I'm shooting the 27 at the range, or in very light summer clothing when pocket carry is in order. As much as I've loved the PM9 and as much as it's the perfect ultra-compact carry piece, I'm not about to go off and buy another of their overpriced guns after I feel like they screwed me on this one.

Anyone else have similar experiences or any suggestions?
PhoenixCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:11   #2
artificialgrey

I've had a rather disappointing customer experience with Kahr regarding a PM9 that required shipping it to them. Long story short, they replaced my recoil assembly, but messed up my magazine catch in the process. When I received it back and seeing what they did to it, I called them back and this time I got Ian on the phone. After briefly explaining my reluctance to ship it to them once more, he sent me a replacement mag catch.

Is Ian really no longer working there? I think that dude was the last hope they had of retaining me as a customer.
artificialgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 15:50   #3
PhoenixCCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificialgrey View Post
Is Ian really no longer working there? I think that dude was the last hope they had of retaining me as a customer.
Unfortunately he's gone. He was extremely helpful. Around the time I returned the gun is when he left and his replacement seems like he can't be bothered. I won't be buying any more Kahrs after this experience, especially considering the ridiculous prices on their guns.

Now my dilemma is finding a PM9 replacement. No other 9's come close in size. I won't buy a Kel-Tec due to quality issues. I won't trust my life with a .380.
Old 07-28-2010, 16:13   #4
mrsurfboard
The Anti-Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixCCW View Post
Unfortunately he's gone. He was extremely helpful. Around the time I returned the gun is when he left and his replacement seems like he can't be bothered. I won't be buying any more Kahrs after this experience, especially considering the ridiculous prices on their guns.

Now my dilemma is finding a PM9 replacement. No other 9's come close in size. I won't buy a Kel-Tec due to quality issues. I won't trust my life with a .380.
But yet you did with a Kahr.
Old 07-28-2010, 17:01   #5
PhoenixCCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsurfboard View Post
But yet you did with a Kahr.
Yeah because in 5 years and thousands of rounds I never had a failure except for two during break-in (first 50 rounds for me). It was 100% until they went off and changed the recoil spring design, and they no longer manufacture the old one because they presumably want to screw everyone into buying a new gun.

No thanks, Kahr.
Old 07-28-2010, 17:12   #6
itstime

I have three of their pistols and honestly for what they go for I wish I never purchased them. I've never used their CS mostly because I don't want to therefore never shoot the Kahrs. I know, what a waste. But for what they go for, they should stand behind their stuff 200% and don't. Geeze, Hipoint and Keltec do at a small percentage of the cost of a Kahr.
itstime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 19:22   #7
briang2ad

Sounds like poor CS on this one.

I would start taking it up the chain as FAR as I could go. Sometimes that is what it takes. And if the boss doesn't know this stuff is going on, he won't fix it.
briang2ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 22:38   #8
PhoenixCCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang2ad View Post
Sounds like poor CS on this one.

I would start taking it up the chain as FAR as I could go. Sometimes that is what it takes. And if the boss doesn't know this stuff is going on, he won't fix it.
That is absolutely my plan. I'm not going to get stuck with a paperweight.
Old 07-28-2010, 23:54   #9
Cowart

Quote:
Now my dilemma is finding a PM9 replacement. No other 9's come close in size.
Thats incorrect. The Rohrbaugh is fractionally smaller and lighter than the PM9 and has a good quality reputation - see http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/node/9
Cowart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 21:22   #10
PhoenixCCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowart View Post
Thats incorrect. The Rohrbaugh is fractionally smaller and lighter than the PM9 and has a good quality reputation - see http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/node/9
Yes I've come across that one in doing my research, sounds awesome! The price is VERY steep but we're already halfway through summer and I've dressed around the Glock 27 ... I suppose I have between now and next summer to save up my pennies for that one
Old 07-30-2010, 12:59   #11
at_liberty

I have been trying to work through similar issues with an older PM40. Kahr seems to have a batch of springs that aren't right. They handle them like a part number on a computer screen but the actual springs don't fit. Somebody there needs to stop making assumptions and check their stock.

They also do not supply the right parts, when you have the older recoil spring assembly with the smaller sized button end. I have a $100 worth of stuff I can't use and would only be told I waited too long to return it. I will just include it all when the gun goes back. The gun is currently working okay with the right ammo, but I cannot replace recoil springs. They don't have any that will work.

BTW, in spite of the problems with the PM40, I like my P40 and T40 a lot and shoot very well with them. The PM40 is just a fanny pack gun for driving. I bought it used and obviously paid too much for it. The P40 was a steal by a couple hundred dollars, so the average isn't too bad.

Last edited by at_liberty; 07-30-2010 at 13:04..
at_liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:44   #12
PhoenixCCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by at_liberty View Post
They also do not supply the right parts, when you have the older recoil spring assembly with the smaller sized button end. I have a $100 worth of stuff I can't use and would only be told I waited too long to return it. I will just include it all when the gun goes back. The gun is currently working okay with the right ammo, but I cannot replace recoil springs. They don't have any that will work.
What they're doing now is offering a $175 "retrofit" to allow the new recoil springs to be used in the older guns we own. Ridiculous if you ask me. They're acting like Microsoft now - forcing you to buy an upgrade or what you have won't work anymore.

As for me, I did an experiment: I tried on lots of different light summer clothes with my Glock 27 and found that it disappears just as readily as the PM9 did. So I'm abandoning my search for another micro gun and sticking with the G27.
Old 08-02-2010, 13:58   #13
MinervaDoe

It's a shame that the polymer Kahrs seem to have problems. My MK9 has been a flawless tackdriver. That said, I prefer my G26.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 16:52   #14
b1012sharp

Quote:

A G26 is very concealable and reliable...I'm just sayin'
b1012sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 17:13   #15
JackC53
BOONDOCK SAINTS

If the Glock 26 is "too big" for you, have you considered revolvers? When it's really hot out or when I just need to grab something quick to run to the store, my S&W 340PD is ultra light, very concealable and .357 magnum rounds WORK. With a CT laser it's great. If the price bothers you, their 442 is just a little heavier, .38 +P is fine, and it's half the price. Just an idea...
Old 08-09-2010, 08:54   #16
briang2ad

Quote:
What they're doing now is offering a $175 "retrofit" to allow the new recoil springs to be used in the older guns we own. Ridiculous if you ask me. They're acting like Microsoft now - forcing you to buy an upgrade or what you have won't work anymore.
This sounds VERY disappointing. I would still try going up the chain, plaguing them with calls, very respectfully, but getting to a VP and getting a NEW gun. It does NOT need a retrofit, if its falling apart - it needs to be replaced.
briang2ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 23:10   #17
revel8
hedgehog

agh :/
revel8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 20:51   #18
alank2

Hi,

I recently picked up a PM9 and it did great on the first range session, but the second range session resulted in the slide locking back before the mag was empty. I fiddled around with the slide lock spring a bit, but in the end the issue was that a cartridge in the magazine was getting pushed forward and pushed forward it would contact the slide lock lever. I filed down a bit of the lever and it is working great now.

What explanation did they give for the plastic rails getting eaten up? Is it out of warranty or still in warranty? You would think they would have to fix it if it is still in warranty...

I love Glock because they take care of customers, but a G26 is considerably bigger than the PM9. I pocket carried my PM9 today for the first time and it was great.

Good luck,

Alan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
alank2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 18:29   #19
RVER

My PM9 sold for $650.00 new. I've had (2) malfunctions during the first 10 or so rounds and has functioned perfectly since. Accuracy is great.

Would I do it again? Not sure. Stories such as this one make me really happy that I kept my Glock 23. I amy have purchased a Kel-Tec P11 instead and saved a bunch of money. I've had a P32 for years without any problems.
RVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:14   #20
the perfesser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVER View Post
My PM9 sold for $650.00 new. I've had (2) malfunctions during the first 10 or so rounds and has functioned perfectly since. Accuracy is great.

Would I do it again? Not sure. Stories such as this one make me really happy that I kept my Glock 23.......
I am with RVER on this. My PM9 has been great since I bought it. No failures to fire or to feed since the first 100 rounds and a few failures of the slide going fully forward into battery. Very good accuracy too, and I like the trigger. I have reconciled myself to the necessity of loading always from slidelock.

From what I understand, I am one of the many lucky ones who are similarly quite satisfied with their PM9s. But what I read about too many folks' problems with the pistol and with CS has me wary. So while I will keep the PM9 as the alternative pocket-carry to my snubbie, I have no great desire at the moment to expand my Kahr holdings......
the perfesser is offline   Reply With Quote