Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-28-2010, 16:26   #1
WoodenPlank
Who?

Issues with G23 mags in a G32?

JR,
A while back I discovered that the 13 round magazines I use in my G32 (all of which are marked .40) have had a couple of problems. Not only do the round count indicators not match the number of loaded rounds in 3 of the 4 magazines, but all 4 of them were capable of being loaded to 14 rounds of .357SIG. Thinking that I had a case of weakened springs (the magazines are all used and came with the gun, so I have no idea for the age of most of them), I ordered new magazine springs. I just installed the replacement springs - and the problems persist.
Three of the four magazines are standard (IE: no LEO markings) mags, the fourth is a LEO-marked Clinton ban era 13 rounder. This LEO-marked magazine is the only one of the four that actually displays the correct round count in the indicator holes. The other three always indicate one round LESS than what is in the magazine. All four can be loaded to 14 rounds (I keep them at 13, however).
Any ideas about what could be causing this? Is it somehow related to the fact theyre marked as .40? These magazines also were giving me some issues with not locking the slide back on empty, so I am hoping that the new magazine springs have at least fixed this issue.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 17:07   #2
JR
GT Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to JR Send a message via Yahoo to JR
Is the bottom of the mag flat or do you have a +2 installed?
Old 07-28-2010, 22:03   #3
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
Is the bottom of the mag flat or do you have a +2 installed?
All of these are on flat mags. I have two magazines with +2 extensions. One is marked .40, one is marked .357. The .357 magazine displays correct round counts up to 13 rounds (obviously, there are no holes for 14 and 15), while the .40 mag with the +2 has the same issues as the flats.
Finally, I have a pair of G31 15 round magazines that also show correct round counts. These are, obviously, marked .357.
Is there some difference between the follower in .357 magazines and the .40 ones that would cause this?
Old 07-29-2010, 19:58   #4
JR
GT Sponsor

There have been multiple follower upgrades since the beginning.
Assuming the original was a 0 because it was simply marked 40, the current number is 8. That makes at least 9 variations for hi-caps and at least 2 variations for the 10 round mags..
Yes this could be the cause of the issue you are describing.

FYI:
Any follower marked 5 or lower needs to be replaced with a #5 follower. http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Search.aspx?TERM=glo-1028-5
Any follower marked 8 or lower needs to be replaced with a #8 follower. http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Search.aspx?TERM=glo-1028-8

Yes there is a difference between the 40 follower and the 357. http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Search.aspx?TERM=glo-1593
357 followers are up to a -2 so that accounts for 3 variations not including at least 2 variations for the 10 round magazines. Yes this also could be the cause of the issue you are describing.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:01   #5
WoodenPlank
Who?

I checked the four 13-round magazines I have. The three non-LE marked ones all have 8 followers (previously I had only looked at the magazine bodies, not followers), and the LE-marked magazine has a 3 follower. It is the LE magazine that shows the correct round count, interestingly enough.
Of my two magazines with +2 extensions, one is marked on the body as .357, the other as .40, and I noticed something interesting - the indicator holes are not cut the same on the two magazines. They are more spread out on the .40 magazine. I guess this would explain, except for why the LE .40 magazine shows correct round counts.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:27   #6
JR
GT Sponsor

Good enough explanation for me.