Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-28-2010, 23:02   #1
irontexan27

P238 grip screw... Whoops. Help.

In a stroke of sheer brilliance, while tightening my grip screws, I over tightened a screw and stripped the hole. Does anyone know where I can get longer grip screws or what I need to do to go about getting it fixed.

Thanks for any help.
irontexan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 18:06   #2
rfd339

Send a message via Yahoo to rfd339
Best thing to do is to call Sig or your local smith. They will probably drill and tap new grip screws one size up. longer grip screws will hit the magazine or keep the magazine from being installed. Good luck and hope this helps.

SIG SAUER, Inc.
18 Industrial Drive
Exeter, NH 03833
Phone: 603-772-2302
Fax: 603-772-9082
http://www.sigsauer.com
rfd339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 20:02   #3
Lazarus63

I changed out the grips on my P238 for some great G10’s I had ordered… without realizing it they were just a tad thicker than the original grips and the grip screws couldn’t reach as deep and engage all of the threads – just a little tightening and I stripped that screw hole threads.

Originally, I thought about just having the screw holes in the frame drilled out to take slimline 1911 bushings (I never felt too comfortable about stainless steel screws repeatedly going in/out of the aluminum holes). After sending the frame off to a top of the line gunsmith shop, they determined that the cutout’s in the frame didn’t offer enough room to permit bushings to be put in… so they made longer “proper” length grip screws and as long as I am gentle to just “snug” the grip screws in position, I haven’t had any further problem.

But as rfd339 said, they can’t be so long that they interfere with the magazine travel. The only other option I thought that would work was to either have new grips made to relocate the grip screw hole and have a new hole drilled/tapped in the frame (I’m not too thrilled about doing it this way).
Old 07-31-2010, 16:19   #4
Cobra64
Deals in Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus63 View Post
I changed out the grips on my P238 for some great G10’s I had ordered… without realizing it they were just a tad thicker than the original grips and the grip screws couldn’t reach as deep and engage all of the threads – just a little tightening and I stripped that screw hole threads.

Originally, I thought about just having the screw holes in the frame drilled out to take slimline 1911 bushings (I never felt too comfortable about stainless steel screws repeatedly going in/out of the aluminum holes). After sending the frame off to a top of the line gunsmith shop, they determined that the cutout’s in the frame didn’t offer enough room to permit bushings to be put in… so they made longer “proper” length grip screws and as long as I am gentle to just “snug” the grip screws in position, I haven’t had any further problem.

But as rfd339 said, they can’t be so long that they interfere with the magazine travel. The only other option I thought that would work was to either have new grips made to relocate the grip screw hole and have a new hole drilled/tapped in the frame (I’m not too thrilled about doing it this way).
P239 grip screws are longer than most others. Many use them when installing wood grips on P226s and P229s.

As to the OP, if you stripped the threads, screw length will solve nothing, and in fact will cause issues with inserting the magazine. Your only alternative is to have the hole retapped to a larger diamter screw.

BTW, this is not an unuasual occurance to those who swap out their grips and detail their guns on a frequent basis. Every time will cause wear and eventually a stripped thread. Steel frames are less risk, and 1911s have staked bushings that can be replaced. Some complain that Hogue screws are too soft, and snap screw heads off, but maybe that's safer than stripping frame threads. Just my $.02.
Cobra64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 19:04   #5
rfd339

Send a message via Yahoo to rfd339
I agree with you on the Hogue grip screws being soft . I removed one from my first 1911 that had Hogue rubber grips added and broke it off due that reason or the locktite the the other owner had soaked the screws with. I know Sig uses it on there grips screws(red) because my P239 had it on the grips screws when I installed the DAK wood grips. I guess the moral of these thread is to be very careful and pay attention when installing grip screws.
rfd339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 19:47   #6
Cobra64
Deals in Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfd339 View Post
I agree with you on the Hogue grip screws being soft . I removed one from my first 1911 that had Hogue rubber grips added and broke it off due that reason or the locktite the the other owner had soaked the screws with. I know Sig uses it on there grips screws(red) because my P239 had it on the grips screws when I installed the DAK wood grips. I guess the moral of these thread is to be very careful and pay attention when installing grip screws.
Yup, keep the torque under 200 foot pounds.
The Sig Sauer Club
Cobra64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:05   #7
irontexan27

Thanks for the replys, I kinda figured that was what was going to have to be done. Live, pay, learn.
irontexan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 17:36   #8
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

I have Horned Lizards coming for my new 238.

This thread may have saved me some gray hair. Thank you.
Old 08-18-2010, 18:03   #9
Lazarus63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
I have Horned Lizards coming for my new 238.

This thread may have saved me some gray hair. Thank you.
"It's always the pioneer that catches the arrows!"