Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:52   #1
saltydog452

Pierce mag +1 extensions in G 36

Just curious, has anyone noticed previously absent reliability issues after installing the Pierce +(something) extension?...did an X-P mag spring solve the problem?... or did you have to go back to OEM 6 rd mags and springs ?

Thanks,

salty

Last edited by saltydog452; 07-30-2010 at 09:55..
saltydog452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 21:24   #2
the perfesser

No reliability issues with Pearce +1 mag extensions and stock springs. The only change I can note is greater difficulty slingshotting the slide on a fully-loaded (= 7 round) mag. My off hand strength is not great, in any event. I do not view this as a problem, for the 7-rounder is the reload mag to be loaded from slidelock, and any malfunction with subsequent rounds will involve an underloaded -- an hence easily manipulated -- mag.
the perfesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:00   #3
Atlas
transmogrifier

I've used the +1 extensions a bit with no problems.
I did find eventually that I just prefer the +0 extensions, but I like having the +1 extensions available as well.

My hands are so small that the standard magazine with no extension is comfortable for me also.

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 21:14   #4
rwils53

I ran two mags. through 4 full cycles each today. Flawless.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:33   #5
bklynpete
Viet Nam Vet

I've been carrying and shooting with a Pearce +1 mag ext for over a year now, no issues at all.

Pete
bklynpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 13:25   #6
fasteddie565
Combat Diver

I had one mag with the Pierce +1 that balled up occasionally, I took it apart and think that when I put the +1 on, I kinked the spring or somehow had it mis-seated. Try disassembly, cleaning and making sure your spring is seated properly. What kind of problems are yo having?
Old 08-23-2010, 19:53   #7
thunder380

Tried a +1 (have +0's on all my other mags). Nothing but problems! Disassembled and cleaned/checked/reassembled; same problem. Got another +0 and deep six'd the +1. Have seen some posts that suggest changing the spring; sort of makes sense but I am one of those anal 100% guys so I'm not screwing with "Glock Perfection"
thunder380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 20:11   #8
Little Joe

I always add the Wolff + 10% mag springs. The 10% refers to length. You are lengthening the mag with the +1 mag extension. It makes sense to me to the lengthen the spring as well. The stock spring was designed for a six round mag. It may work okay for a while with the stock spring, but when you start having problems switch to a Wolff +10% spring and watch those problems disappear. Just hope your first problem doesn't happen when it counts for real.

Those springs are cheap enough to get it correct straight off. It's worth it to me.
Little Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 22:26   #9
thunder380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
I always add the Wolff + 10% mag springs. The 10% refers to length. You are lengthening the mag with the +1 mag extension. It makes sense to me to the lengthen the spring as well. The stock spring was designed for a six round mag. It may work okay for a while with the stock spring, but when you start having problems switch to a Wolff +10% spring and watch those problems disappear. Just hope your first problem doesn't happen when it counts for real.

Those springs are cheap enough to get it correct straight off. It's worth it to me.
Most excellent advice! Your last sentence is why I'm such a stickler for my carry piece. Have been close enough to "for real" a few times to have had it "scared" into my very being!!

Maybe I'll give the +10% spring a try and resurrect that +1 (never enough ammo "on board"...even if its .45, right?

Thanks

Thanks
thunder380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:11   #10
Little Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder380 View Post
Most excellent advice! Your last sentence is why I'm such a stickler for my carry piece. Have been close enough to "for real" a few times to have had it "scared" into my very being!!

Maybe I'll give the +10% spring a try and resurrect that +1 (never enough ammo "on board"...even if its .45, right?

Thanks

Thanks
You're welcome.

LJ
Little Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 21:13   #11
the perfesser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
I always add the Wolff + 10% mag springs. The 10% refers to length. You are lengthening the mag with the +1 mag extension. It makes sense to me to the lengthen the spring as well. The stock spring was designed for a six round mag. It may work okay for a while with the stock spring, but when you start having problems switch to a Wolff +10% spring and watch those problems disappear.
Good observation: At the range I will keep an eye on the functionality of mags with +1 extension, and at the first sign of a problem implement your advice. As noted in my previous post, I will continue to use the unextended mags for concealed carry, with a +1 only as the reload.
the perfesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:51   #12
bunk22

I've got two Pearce +1 magazines and three Pearce +0 magazines. I need the extensions as I can't stand having to fold my pinky under. Anway, I've put about 50 rounds through my 2 +1 extensions without issue. My G36 is brand new with only 250 rounds through her so I'll see how she continues to perform but I like the Wolff spring idea. It's inexpensive and worth a try I think.
bunk22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 17:53   #13
va_g22

I've put 250 rounds through my two magazines with Pearce +1 extensions. No issues. Stock spring setup. However, I carry with +0.
va_g22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 21:46   #14
Pecos Bill

Any issues with concealment using the longer bases? I would like to try the +1 but am afraid of a bulge from the base.?
Pecos Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:47   #15
saltydog452

Pecos,

No concealment problems. I am kinda 'squishy' around the middle though. The added length to the handle is covered with a roll of fat.

Carrying IWB, the added length helps me to grab something useful during presentation. That would not be a good time for a self-inflicted wedgie or a tee shirt display.

My main concern, other than accessability, is repeat reliability. The first round is pretty much a 'gimmie', not so with whatever is left in the mag stack.

salty
Old 09-03-2010, 09:38   #16
bklynpete
Viet Nam Vet

I've been carrying my G36 for over a year now, and have more then 1k rounds through it. I use +0 and +1 mag ext, and never had an issue with any of them (no spring change). I use a M-Tac holster and always carry with a +1 mag in it. I'm 5'6" and 140lbs, and nothing prints. This makes the G36 about a 1/2" shorter then my Kimber Pro Carry. Maybe about the same size as a Officer model 1911, but about 1/2 lb lighter then even an aluminum frame model. I carry a spare mag with a +0 ext, because it's less bulky in my pocket. I figure 14 rds of .45acp total, is fine for my retired lifestyle. When I carry my Kimber then it's a total of 17 rds.
bklynpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 16:45   #17
Pecos Bill

Anyone want to recommend a place to purchase the Pierce +1's?
Old 09-08-2010, 09:18   #18
saltydog452

It might be polite to order from a GT sponsor.

sd.
Old 09-19-2010, 15:31   #19
Pecos Bill

Got my +1 extension. Thanks, I love it. No feed problems (50 rounds) so far. No spring change.