Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-31-2010, 15:57   #1
n2extrm

308 rifle brass problems?

I have a lot of 100 Hornady cases I bought to try. I have loaded them and fired them 5 times as of today and they just won't shoot well. I have tried everything I can think of and no luck. Shot about 80 rounds today and had OK groups not great. Took out some factory Blackhills 175's shot a decent group. Tried some Blackhills brass I reloaded around a year ago, same lot of powder primers and bullets. One of the loads I shot in the Hornady brass, 1 hole in the paper and I was tired and NOT doing my part. I get better velocity and much better SD and groups with LC and BH.

Anybody else have bad luck with Hornady brass?

I think I may just order 100 Lapua and get it over with. My LC and BH has been great but it will not last forever.
Old 07-31-2010, 16:02   #2
Agg22

are they the Hornady match or regular? i think the standard non-match are softer. I've had good luck with winchester and even federal brass. Lapua is just so insanely expensive.
Agg22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 16:05   #3
n2extrm

Hornady Match.

Lapua is over the top, but they work great in my 6mmbr, I also had good luck with Norma in the br gun.
Old 07-31-2010, 17:31   #4
fredj338

AT 5x reloaded, they may need neck annealing. AS the brass work hardens, it doesn't want to give the same neck tension. Lapua anneals their brass after final forming & it holds up better than most.
Annealing is like voodoo. If you don't want to undertake the task, then toss the brass into the plinking bin or sell it to a M1A shooter for plinking. Good article. http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html
http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/jun96cases.html
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 07-31-2010 at 17:37..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 16:51   #5
n2extrm

Fred,

I have read that before. I have always wanted to try the annealing, but again it has to be done right. I was looking at the Hornady kit, looks pretty simple and cheap enough.

I will post some pictures of the groups and I don't think it could be neck tension, they are huge in comparison. I also can't seem to get the velocity up with this brass. I shot some factory BH 175's over the chrono and got 2550 plus or minus. The data for the load I am using puts it at 2600 fps in a 26 in barreled savage at 42 grains. I am at the max 43.6 and getting 2560 average. Should be around 2700 at this charge.

The LC stuff is shooting good at 8 or 9 reloadings? Don't know if that is really relevant though?
Old 08-02-2010, 17:09   #6
n2extrm

A couple of pics of groups.

Reloading

Reloading

Reloading

All 5 shot groups by me at 100 yards.
Old 08-02-2010, 18:19   #7
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Very nice groups for a 1000 yards... oh, wait, you said a 100 didn't you. Huh... I hear lawn bowling is an enjoyable sport.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 18:31   #8
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

The only Hornady 308 cases I've had were exactly the same as Winchester. They were made by Winchester from everything on them except the headstamp. Blackhills as far as I know has always had cases made by Winchester. Hornady may have changed but I'm pretty sure Blackhills is still the same as Winchester cases.
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 18:56   #9
n2extrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
Very nice groups for a 1000 yards... oh, wait, you said a 100 didn't you. Huh... I hear lawn bowling is an enjoyable sport.

Jack
Thanks Jack. I know I can allways count on you to help out and cheer me up. I wonder if wallmart still has water pistols on sale?There are 2 good groups in their and one ok group. Of course none of those were with the Hornady brass. And before you call me a red hater, the Black Hills stuff was in a red box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIockGuy24 View Post
The only Hornady 308 cases I've had were exactly the same as Winchester. They were made by Winchester from everything on them except the headstamp. Blackhills as far as I know has always had cases made by Winchester. Hornady may have changed but I'm pretty sure Blackhills is still the same as Winchester cases.
Thank you. I think I have some Winchester I never opened I got from a friend. Only 20 rounds but maybe I should look for it.
Old 08-02-2010, 20:48   #10
fredj338

If the only thing that has changed is the # of times you have fired the case, I am betting neck tension. If the bullet releases diff w/ each shot, POI will change a bit. Brass work hardens at diff rates from case to case. It's why your factory new brass is so uniform & the older brass is killing your groups. Try annealing, the Hornady kit looks simple & repeatable. I have done some w/ a torch & cases standing in water, seemed to work fine, but harder to get uniformity that way.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 22:58   #11
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

I'd say either annealing would help, or maybe you're getting a lot of runout.

Concentricity tool?
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 19:25   #12
n2extrm

Fred,

Thanks I am going to give it a try. Just got to decide if I want to buy the Hornady kit or just do the water pan. I do have around 70 or so LC cases that shoot well, but are up there in loadings and I am starting to split necks. The BH stuff was loaded 3x so that maybe the diffrence. I am guessing you just stand the cases in the pan of water, get em to glow a little pink and flip em over?
Old 08-03-2010, 19:29   #13
n2extrm

Zombie Steve,

I dont have a concentricity tool/gauge. I was looking at them and the new Hornady tool that is supposed to correct runout. It got mixed reveiws, I could see it making matters worse too. I may give it a try if the annealing dosen't help.
Old 08-03-2010, 22:46   #14
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIockGuy24 View Post
Not sure about this. Hornady has always made their own brass.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tku8YI68-JA
freakshow10mm is offline   Reply With Quote