Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-15-2010, 17:58   #1
Glockin26

CCI 350 magnums for 10mm?

I ordered some magnum primers because my brother didn't want wolf primers for his virgin G29. On any given load how much should i reduce the powder from max. Any help will be appreciated.
Glockin26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 17:49   #2
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

If you are shooting a stock barrel, I would start at 12% below max at least and work your way up in 2-3 grain increments. If it's what I experienced, you won't make it to max before your brass starts smiling at you.

This is the reason I use an aftermarket barrel now.
Old 08-18-2010, 19:11   #3
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Glockin26, I have subsituted the 350's directly on some of my loads without issues but have seen some where the pressure is more.

During some of my testing, I found Alliant Power Pistol's burn rate to be better suited for the shorter barrel. One of my loads I liked was 8.0grains under the Hornady 200XTP seated to 1.260", these when 1140 fps.

Best of luck!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 21:50   #4
Taterhead
Counting Beans

The one powder that has presented noticeable pressure issues for me, with 350 primers, is 800-X. I've encountered pressure symptoms well below levels were fine with normal primers, and well below published max data. If you are using published load data, starting at beginning loads should be just fine though.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 14:23   #5
Burien

Wolf LP are all I use in my g-29 $18 a thousand at Wiedners last week, function every time.
Burien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 20:44   #6
MakeMineA10mm
Lifetime Membership
300AAC brass

In the 10mm mag primers are really unnecessary. They cause more problems than they're worth. The slowest, hardest-to-ignite powder in the 10mm is AA#9, and I find that the Winchester LP (which are about half-way between standard and magnum primers) are plenty for that powder in the 10mm case (which is not that large...).

In exchange for the magnum primers, you'll get a lot more pressure, when with most powders, you're able to load to the max pressure already. Also, ignition is almost never an issue. (10mm case isn't that large.) So, it's really more trouble than it's worth. As noted by Kegs above, you'll get pressure signs before you get to max loads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Looking for: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Last edited by MakeMineA10mm; 08-26-2010 at 20:44..
MakeMineA10mm is online now   Reply With Quote