Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-03-2010, 17:39   #1
Big Bad Jon

Bulllet weight question relating to sd carry

Ok, here it is. I hope I am asking this in the right area, but I have possibly a bad newbie question. My EDC weapon is a Glock 30sf, and currently I carry Winchester PDX1 230gr bullets. I have been reading up on the importance of velocity. I have been considering carrying Corbon JHP 165gr +P because the velocity is much higher and thus possibly being more effective. My question is by going WAY down on weight do I give up some of the stopping advantages of a heaver bullet? Your pros/cons of either set up or any other setup would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-05-2010, 22:09   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

The PDX load is pretty new, and I don't have any reports on actual shootings with it yet. Don't have them for 165 grain .45, either: it's an uncommon load.

When in doubt, look for the middle ground. 185 grain JHPs have always had a pretty decent reputation, and they honk the bullet's velocity up to significantly more than a 230's out of a short barrel. The CorBon 185 grain +P worked well in shootings, and so did the various standard pressure 185 grain JHP .45s, including Remington's after they redesigned their original JHP design for that weight and caliber.

Also worth looking at is Speer's Short Barrel .45 load, expressly designed to open up in shorter barrels. Fact is, I wouldn't worry about shorter barrel performance in high-tech, street-proven 230 grain .45 ACP loads like the Winchester Ranger-T and the Federal HST.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote