GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 18:25   #1
sdelam
Senior Member
 
sdelam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 299
Hornady quick change bushing

So I've been wanting to try one of these bushings in my Lee classic cast and see if it would work. I love the idea of being able to set the dies up once and leave them while still being able to develop loads on a single stage.

Since they are on sale, I picked one up and installed it tonight. I took a few rough measurments with the calipers and it seemed about dead on as a match for the LNL So I played with some 9mm and it seems that the classic cast seats about .005 deeper than the LNL. Not too bad but I think I would still like to shim it.

Anyone know where to get a .005 shim to place under the bushing? I've also thought about playing with the amount of turns I screw the bushing into the press until I find the right spot, then marking it and appling some locktite and screwing it back in. Not sure if it would come loose or not, I would really rather have a shim. What you guys think?



http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tnumber=799411
__________________
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
sdelam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 18:27   #2
GioaJack
Conifer Jack
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Conifer, CO
Posts: 10,025
Blog Entries: 3
Call Hornady, they'll send you the shim for free.


Jack
__________________
Life is a little bit tragic but mostly magic... Learn to deal with the tragic and CHERISH THE MAGIC

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 19:53   #3
sdelam
Senior Member
 
sdelam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 299
Alright, I couldnt wait until tomorrow so I got some feeler gages out and tried to see how much shim I needed. I found that two layers of clear packaging tape is the exact amount of shim I need to make the two presses match. I am stoked over this, I was about to start looking at buying an additional set of dies for the single stage. I may call Hornady anyway and see if they have a shim kit or something, but it will work for now.
__________________
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
sdelam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 20:21   #4
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows
 
IndyGunFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 30,139
Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelam View Post
Alright, I couldnt wait until tomorrow so I got some feeler gages out and tried to see how much shim I needed. I found that two layers of clear packaging tape is the exact amount of shim I need to make the two presses match. I am stoked over this, I was about to start looking at buying an additional set of dies for the single stage. I may call Hornady anyway and see if they have a shim kit or something, but it will work for now.
If you get the powder measure shim that hornady gives out for free, I'm guessing it will probably raise it that .005..

IGF
__________________
Quote:
Ronald Reagan
"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under."
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 20:32   #5
sdelam
Senior Member
 
sdelam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 299
I was wondering if those would work since they are meant to go between the LNL bushing and and the press and not below the conversion bushing which is a larger diameter since the LNL bushing goes in side it. I dont have any to play with since I just use white thread tape on
my powder measure bushing. Thanks guys.
__________________
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
sdelam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 20:47   #6
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows
 
IndyGunFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 30,139
Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelam View Post
I was wondering if those would work since they are meant to go between the LNL bushing and and the press and not below the conversion bushing which is a larger diameter since the LNL bushing goes in side it. I dont have any to play with since I just use white thread tape on
my powder measure bushing. Thanks guys.
.005 isn't much, would an appropriate sized washer(under the conversion bushing) work?

IGF
__________________
Quote:
Ronald Reagan
"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under."
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 08-05-2010 at 20:48..
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 21:15   #7
Colorado4Wheel
Senior Member
 
Colorado4Wheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 14,298
Tuning .005" out of a dieset sounds like a lot of trouble for very little gain.
__________________
Steve
Colorado4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:59   #8
sdelam
Senior Member
 
sdelam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Tuning .005" out of a dieset sounds like a lot of trouble for very little gain.
I agree, it isnt much and might not matter in the big picture but I guess I have a little OCD and want it perfect.

While playing with it last night I used a set of feeler gages to see how much shim I would need. I found .005 was too much, .0025 was just about right. I doubt I find a washer at lowes that is only .0025 so the tape will have to work.
__________________
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
sdelam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:51   #9
at_liberty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelam View Post
So I've been wanting to try one of these bushings in my Lee classic cast and see if it would work. I love the idea of being able to set the dies up once and leave them while still being able to develop loads on a single stage.

Since they are on sale, I picked one up and installed it tonight. <snip>


http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tnumber=799411
I have Hornady bushings and adapters in hand and find that they fit only RCBS sized, 1 1/2" threads, not 1 1/4" standard, i.e they are not usable on Lee presses. I checked and my part numbers are the same as show on the linked page. I was about to return them as misrepresented when I read your post. I am really missing something here, because you clearly imply that you have been able to install yours.
at_liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:56   #10
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows
 
IndyGunFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 30,139
Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak


Quote:
Originally Posted by at_liberty View Post
I have Hornady bushings and adapters in hand and find that they fit only RCBS sized, 1 1/2" threads, not 1 1/4" standard, i.e they are not usable on Lee presses. I checked and my part numbers are the same as show on the linked page. I was about to return them as misrepresented when I read your post. I am really missing something here, because you clearly imply that you have been able to install yours.
I believe you have to spin that threaded insert out of the Lee/RCBS press, then thread in the LNL adapter..

IGF
__________________
Quote:
Ronald Reagan
"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under."
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:07   #11
at_liberty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
I believe you have to spin that threaded insert out of the Lee/RCBS press, then thread in the LNL adapter..

IGF
I don't find any insert in the press. The die threads are in the body of the SS press as well as the turrets of the others. It makes sense that adapters wouldn't work, if Hornady dies thread directly into my presses. Maybe there is a model of Lee press that has an insert but mine don't.
at_liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:10   #12
unclebob
Senior Member
 
unclebob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Mary Esther FL
Posts: 6,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by at_liberty View Post
I don't find any insert in the press. The die threads are in the body of the SS press as well as the turrets of the others. It makes sense that adapters wouldn't work, if Hornady dies thread directly into my presses. Maybe there is a model of Lee press that has an insert but mine don't.
What press do you have?
__________________
Team Carver Custom
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Benefactor Life Member
GSSF Life Member
___________________________________________
unclebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:21   #13
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows
 
IndyGunFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 30,139
Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak


Quote:
Originally Posted by at_liberty View Post
I don't find any insert in the press. The die threads are in the body of the SS press as well as the turrets of the others. It makes sense that adapters wouldn't work, if Hornady dies thread directly into my presses. Maybe there is a model of Lee press that has an insert but mine don't.
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...g/classic.html

In the product description...

Quote:
Threaded die adapter accepts standard 7/8 - 14 dies, remove and the press accepts 1 1/4 - 12 large series dies.
So remove the threaded die adapter, and simply thread in the hornady bushing. The conversion kit isn't made to work w/ a tool head(Loadmaster, LCT, etc.). It's really designed for most single stage presses(or any press w/ a 1 1/4-12 thread, that you want to use 7/8 dies in)
IGF
__________________
Quote:
Ronald Reagan
"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under."
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 08-06-2010 at 08:25..
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:34   #14
unclebob
Senior Member
 
unclebob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Mary Esther FL
Posts: 6,838
If your press has where your dies screw into looks like a nut. Just unscrew that and install the Hornady adaptor. If your press does not have a nut on top then you cannot use the LNL system.
__________________
Team Carver Custom
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Benefactor Life Member
GSSF Life Member
___________________________________________
unclebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:38   #15
unclebob
Senior Member
 
unclebob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Mary Esther FL
Posts: 6,838
Also when you install the LNL adaptor read the directions on how too do it first. Its very simple if you do it right. Pain too undo your mistake.
__________________
Team Carver Custom
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Benefactor Life Member
GSSF Life Member
___________________________________________
unclebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:49   #16
at_liberty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 350
My presses don't include any insert and nut, and I don't need any better press, so I will just return the Hornady stuff. The description said nothing about the critical feature that defines a generation or model of press as compatible.
at_liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:50   #17
at_liberty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
Also when you install the LNL adaptor read the directions on how too do it first. Its very simple if you do it right. Pain too undo your mistake.
The directions are a few sentences that say nothing about an insert and removing it. I guess that requirement would be obvious if I actually had an insert. What it doesn't do is stop me from ordering something I can't use.

Last edited by at_liberty; 08-06-2010 at 10:59.. Reason: added comment to clarify
at_liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:53   #18
unclebob
Senior Member
 
unclebob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Mary Esther FL
Posts: 6,838
What press do you own?
__________________
Team Carver Custom
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Benefactor Life Member
GSSF Life Member
___________________________________________
unclebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:24   #19
at_liberty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
What press do you own?
An Anniversary kit SS from about 2003. I also have the little cheapo C press as a priming station. I have a turret and two progressive models also. I load only 9mm, 40S&W, and 45 ACP pistol ammo.

Now that this has come up at the same time as the arrival of my Redding G-RX base sizing die for 40 S&W and experiencing how much leveraging and force is required to drive a bulged case through the die, I might well spring for a new SS press.
at_liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 13:20   #20
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL
 
ilgunguygt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Peoples Republic Of Illinois
Posts: 4,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelam View Post
I agree, it isnt much and might not matter in the big picture but I guess I have a little OCD and want it perfect.

While playing with it last night I used a set of feeler gages to see how much shim I would need. I found .005 was too much, .0025 was just about right. I doubt I find a washer at lowes that is only .0025 so the tape will have to work.
Notebooke paper is .003", you could try that.
__________________
***RIP Okie, GT will never be the same without you Mr Mayor!***
ilgunguygt is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 14:16.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,077
311 Members
766 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42