Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-05-2010, 18:25   #1
sdelam

Hornady quick change bushing

So I've been wanting to try one of these bushings in my Lee classic cast and see if it would work. I love the idea of being able to set the dies up once and leave them while still being able to develop loads on a single stage.

Since they are on sale, I picked one up and installed it tonight. I took a few rough measurments with the calipers and it seemed about dead on as a match for the LNL So I played with some 9mm and it seems that the classic cast seats about .005 deeper than the LNL. Not too bad but I think I would still like to shim it.

Anyone know where to get a .005 shim to place under the bushing? I've also thought about playing with the amount of turns I screw the bushing into the press until I find the right spot, then marking it and appling some locktite and screwing it back in. Not sure if it would come loose or not, I would really rather have a shim. What you guys think?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tnumber=799411
Old 08-05-2010, 18:27   #2
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Call Hornady, they'll send you the shim for free.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 19:53   #3
sdelam

Alright, I couldnt wait until tomorrow so I got some feeler gages out and tried to see how much shim I needed. I found that two layers of clear packaging tape is the exact amount of shim I need to make the two presses match. I am stoked over this, I was about to start looking at buying an additional set of dies for the single stage. I may call Hornady anyway and see if they have a shim kit or something, but it will work for now.
Old 08-05-2010, 20:21   #4
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelam View Post
Alright, I couldnt wait until tomorrow so I got some feeler gages out and tried to see how much shim I needed. I found that two layers of clear packaging tape is the exact amount of shim I need to make the two presses match. I am stoked over this, I was about to start looking at buying an additional set of dies for the single stage. I may call Hornady anyway and see if they have a shim kit or something, but it will work for now.
If you get the powder measure shim that hornady gives out for free, I'm guessing it will probably raise it that .005..

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 20:32   #5
sdelam

I was wondering if those would work since they are meant to go between the LNL bushing and and the press and not below the conversion bushing which is a larger diameter since the LNL bushing goes in side it. I dont have any to play with since I just use white thread tape on
my powder measure bushing. Thanks guys.
Old 08-05-2010, 20:47   #6
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
I was wondering if those would work since they are meant to go between the LNL bushing and and the press and not below the conversion bushing which is a larger diameter since the LNL bushing goes in side it. I dont have any to play with since I just use white thread tape on
my powder measure bushing. Thanks guys.
.005 isn't much, would an appropriate sized washer(under the conversion bushing) work?

IGF

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 08-05-2010 at 20:48..
Old 08-05-2010, 21:15   #7
Colorado4Wheel

Tuning .005" out of a dieset sounds like a lot of trouble for very little gain.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:59   #8
sdelam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Tuning .005" out of a dieset sounds like a lot of trouble for very little gain.
I agree, it isnt much and might not matter in the big picture but I guess I have a little OCD and want it perfect.

While playing with it last night I used a set of feeler gages to see how much shim I would need. I found .005 was too much, .0025 was just about right. I doubt I find a washer at lowes that is only .0025 so the tape will have to work.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:51   #9
at_liberty

Quote:
So I've been wanting to try one of these bushings in my Lee classic cast and see if it would work. I love the idea of being able to set the dies up once and leave them while still being able to develop loads on a single stage.

Since they are on sale, I picked one up and installed it tonight. <snip>

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tnumber=799411
I have Hornady bushings and adapters in hand and find that they fit only RCBS sized, 1 1/2" threads, not 1 1/4" standard, i.e they are not usable on Lee presses. I checked and my part numbers are the same as show on the linked page. I was about to return them as misrepresented when I read your post. I am really missing something here, because you clearly imply that you have been able to install yours.
at_liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:56   #10
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by at_liberty View Post
I have Hornady bushings and adapters in hand and find that they fit only RCBS sized, 1 1/2" threads, not 1 1/4" standard, i.e they are not usable on Lee presses. I checked and my part numbers are the same as show on the linked page. I was about to return them as misrepresented when I read your post. I am really missing something here, because you clearly imply that you have been able to install yours.
I believe you have to spin that threaded insert out of the Lee/RCBS press, then thread in the LNL adapter..

IGF
Old 08-06-2010, 07:07   #11
at_liberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
I believe you have to spin that threaded insert out of the Lee/RCBS press, then thread in the LNL adapter..

IGF
I don't find any insert in the press. The die threads are in the body of the SS press as well as the turrets of the others. It makes sense that adapters wouldn't work, if Hornady dies thread directly into my presses. Maybe there is a model of Lee press that has an insert but mine don't.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:10   #12
unclebob

Quote:
I don't find any insert in the press. The die threads are in the body of the SS press as well as the turrets of the others. It makes sense that adapters wouldn't work, if Hornady dies thread directly into my presses. Maybe there is a model of Lee press that has an insert but mine don't.
What press do you have?
GSSF Life Member
Old 08-06-2010, 08:21   #13
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...g/classic.html

In the product description...

Quote:
Threaded die adapter accepts standard 7/8 - 14 dies, remove and the press accepts 1 1/4 - 12 large series dies.
So remove the threaded die adapter, and simply thread in the hornady bushing. The conversion kit isn't made to work w/ a tool head(Loadmaster, LCT, etc.). It's really designed for most single stage presses(or any press w/ a 1 1/4-12 thread, that you want to use 7/8 dies in)
IGF

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 08-06-2010 at 08:25..
Old 08-06-2010, 08:34   #14
unclebob

If your press has where your dies screw into looks like a nut. Just unscrew that and install the Hornady adaptor. If your press does not have a nut on top then you cannot use the LNL system.
GSSF Life Member
Old 08-06-2010, 08:38   #15
unclebob

Also when you install the LNL adaptor read the directions on how too do it first. Its very simple if you do it right. Pain too undo your mistake.
GSSF Life Member
Old 08-06-2010, 10:49   #16
at_liberty

My presses don't include any insert and nut, and I don't need any better press, so I will just return the Hornady stuff. The description said nothing about the critical feature that defines a generation or model of press as compatible.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:50   #17
at_liberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
Also when you install the LNL adaptor read the directions on how too do it first. Its very simple if you do it right. Pain too undo your mistake.
The directions are a few sentences that say nothing about an insert and removing it. I guess that requirement would be obvious if I actually had an insert. What it doesn't do is stop me from ordering something I can't use.

Last edited by at_liberty; 08-06-2010 at 10:59.. Reason: added comment to clarify
Old 08-06-2010, 10:53   #18
unclebob

What press do you own?
GSSF Life Member
Old 08-06-2010, 11:24   #19
at_liberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
What press do you own?
An Anniversary kit SS from about 2003. I also have the little cheapo C press as a priming station. I have a turret and two progressive models also. I load only 9mm, 40S&W, and 45 ACP pistol ammo.

Now that this has come up at the same time as the arrival of my Redding G-RX base sizing die for 40 S&W and experiencing how much leveraging and force is required to drive a bulged case through the die, I might well spring for a new SS press.
Old 08-06-2010, 13:20   #20
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:
I agree, it isnt much and might not matter in the big picture but I guess I have a little OCD and want it perfect.

While playing with it last night I used a set of feeler gages to see how much shim I would need. I found .005 was too much, .0025 was just about right. I doubt I find a washer at lowes that is only .0025 so the tape will have to work.
Notebooke paper is .003", you could try that.