Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:26   #1
reloader_22

S&W Model 17 or 18

Looking for feedback on these models. CDNN has a sale on either model for $749.00. I've been looking to add a 22 to my stable and have been eyeing the Ruger 10-22 5.5" stainless. Like this due to the 22 mag cylinder. The Smith looks tempting but most likely not as versitle. Your comments on the Smiths would be appreciated. Thanks
reloader_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:44   #2
deadite
Groovy.

You can't go wrong with either a 17 or 18. I sort of like the longer sight radius of the 17, though. The shorter barrel of the 18 is good if you want to pack it while you're hiking or something. I guess it all depends on what you're looking for in a 22. If you want a plinker, the 18 is great, but if you want the longer sight radius of the 17 for target shooting, I would go with that. It's not that the 18 wouldn't make a fine target gun, but I like longer barreled target guns.

I, personally, would really look for an older model of S&W 17 (K22 Masterpiece) or 18 back before they had the integral locks for no other reason than because the hole is unattractive. Also, the older ones are more collectable because they're pinned and recessed, meaning that the barrel used to be pinned on and the holes in the cylinder were recessed so that the rim of the cartridge is flush. Just a nicer over-all revolver that shows real craftsmenship.

Do you mean a Ruger Single Six? The 10-22 is a rifle. They're nice guns, too, but I'm not into the dual cylinder deal. The reason I don't like them is because the barrel's bore is actually drilled for 22 Mag, which is slightly bigger in diameter than the 22 LR, so while you can shoot 22 LR, it doesn't shoot that well or as well as a designated 22 LR. Alot of folks think that the 22 Mag is just a longer cartridge than the 22 LR, but they're completely different animals. If you look around you may find an older Single Six that was a 22 LR designated single action. If it were me, I would stick with a designated 22 LR revolver like the S&W model 17. In a contest, I would bet on the guy shooting 22LR out of a designated 22 LR revolver over the 22 LR out of a 22 Mag chambered revolver.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that the model 48 of Smith and Wesson was a designated 22 Magnum revolver.

Also, the Rugers are single action verses the double action of the Smiths, which, in my opinion, make the Smiths more versitle. Don't get me wrong, I really like Rugers and have a small amount of them, but for your purposes, you might enjoy a Smith better in the long run.

More food for thought, you may want to look into a S&W 617, stainless, full underlug, with a 10 shot cylinder. Very cool revolver that would last forever!

deadite

Last edited by deadite; 08-08-2010 at 14:25..
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 17:05   #3
reloader_22

Thanks for the great response. You're correct I did mean the single six. My fingers were working faster than my brain. I like the comments regarding the 22LR fired out of a revolver also chambered for the 22WMR. I'll look on gunbroker or other auction websites for a slightly used Smith model 17. The model 48 is also intrieging. Thanks again..
reloader_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 14:10   #4
deadite
Groovy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloader_22 View Post
Thanks for the great response. You're correct I did mean the single six. My fingers were working faster than my brain. I like the comments regarding the 22LR fired out of a revolver also chambered for the 22WMR. I'll look on gunbroker or other auction websites for a slightly used Smith model 17. The model 48 is also intrieging. Thanks again..
No problem. As you might have noticed, it's a little bit of a passion for me.

Yeah, the 22LR out of a 22 Mag bore is a little remembered fact that really effects accuracy in your target revolver. Look at the difference between the two:

Rimfire Forum

Rimfire Forum

You'll notice that, besides it(22 Mag) being just longer, the 22LR bullet is equal in diameter as the brass case. The Mag is set inside the case. The rims are totally different diameters, the 22 Mag being the widest.

Another thing to remember is that, while a 22 LR revolver will shoot just about everything when it comes to brands, quality ammo really pays off in accuracy. I'd avoid any incarnation of Remington rimfire ammo or most bulk ammo in the 500 round mega-boxes... It's all junk, is dirty, is inaccurate, and are sometimes 30-40% duds out of the box.

CCI is a great brand when it comes to rimfire ammo.(Standard Velocity or Mini Mags) It's what I shoot mostly. The Match ammo available like Eley and Wolf Match are great, too. It's a little more expensive(meaning way more than the bulk), but personally, I find shooting reliably and accurately with no duds better than not doing so. I like shooting like a laser as opposed to picking duds out of my gun, cussing, and trying to spin them around over and over until they fire.

Make sure to come back and tell us what you get!

deadite

Last edited by deadite; 08-08-2010 at 14:31..
Old 08-08-2010, 14:24   #5
deadite
Groovy.

Btw, if you're also looking for a semi-auto, there's a ton of information about those, too.

deadite
Old 08-10-2010, 09:41   #6
CajunBass

Send a message via AIM to CajunBass
I wonder just how much real difference there is between a Ruger convertable and a "22 LR only" Single-Six. I mean does the .001 difference in the bore really make a lot of difference? I really don't know, since I've never fired the magnum cylinder on any of my dual cylinder guns, Ruger or Colt. They do seem to shoot just fine with 22 LR though, as do my two older Single-Sixs that were made before the 22 magnum was even available.

In short I've never noticed any difference in just shooting the guns, but then I've certainly never done any serious tests either.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
CajunBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:31   #7
deadite
Groovy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
I wonder just how much real difference there is between a Ruger convertable and a "22 LR only" Single-Six. I mean does the .001 difference in the bore really make a lot of difference? I really don't know, since I've never fired the magnum cylinder on any of my dual cylinder guns, Ruger or Colt. They do seem to shoot just fine with 22 LR though, as do my two older Single-Sixs that were made before the 22 magnum was even available.

In short I've never noticed any difference in just shooting the guns, but then I've certainly never done any serious tests either.
I just know that when I reload other calibers, that little bit of difference does effect accuracy.

I wish we lived closer. I can envision a cool dude's day of fun rimfire shooting and testing.

deadite

Last edited by deadite; 08-10-2010 at 12:43..