SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-07-2010, 23:55   #1
To Arms!!

Send a message via ICQ to To Arms!!
Grip - Thumbs. Where do you place?

I was reading through the Glock Annual '10 magazine and noticed that some shooters were gripping their Glocks differently than I do. Page 32/33 are good examples. They are putting their thumb that is on their trigger hand on top of the thumb of their weak hand.

The thumb of my weak hand goes over my trigger hand thumb. My trigger hand thumb rest in the depression of the grip.

So, what is your thumb position when you shoot (Glocks) ?
Old 08-08-2010, 01:33   #2
talon

Edited due to misunderstanding.

Last edited by talon; 08-08-2010 at 01:34..
talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:59   #3
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

Different for different folks. I like my off hand thumb over my firing hand thumb.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:05   #4
English

The recommended Modern Isosceles grip has the thumbs pointed forwards with the shooting hand thumb over the support hand thumb. This has the advantage of keeping the support hand in place as the pistol recoils but is only possible with some hands. If the thumb joint at the web of the hand will bend more than about 45 dgrees you can probably do this. Otherwise not!

The advantage of putting the support hand over the shooting hand thumb, which goes near the mag release, is that the pistol is held in a normal single handed grip and so the support hand can move off and on into a single or two handed grip with no change to the shooting hand. For close range response to some kind of surprise attack, single hand shooting is the most useful technique. For longer ranges, two handed is better. Rapid changes from one to the other are a useful capability to have. If, for example, you are engaging someone at enough distance to use two hands when someone surprises you with a close range attack from your 5 O'clock, you can get the pistol pointed at the short range threat far faster with a single handed grip than with a two handed grip.The disadvantage is that two handed shooting is probably not as fast except, possibly with more practice but if your thumbs don't bend far enough you have no option anyway.

English
English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 22:49   #5
PhoneCop
TeleDetective

The thumbs go where you feel comfortable and allows you to shoot well. The individual finds what works for them. It doesn't matter what some internet-expert thinks if it simply doesn't work for the shooter.

Practice, experiment, learn, adopt, adjust, repeat.

With that said I use a Thumbs Forward grip with strong thumb above (not on or over) the weak thumb laid loosely along the frame where it meets the slide.

Last edited by PhoneCop; 08-09-2010 at 15:35..
PhoneCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:04   #6
RDW
BTDT

Pistol - Thumbs Forward.

Revolver - Thumbs Down (Hammer Grip).
Formerly Posted as "Big Dawg #383" (10/2000)
Joined John Birch Society in 1961; when others were Hippie Scum & NOW they're running our Country!

I'm MUCH MORE Conservative NOW.
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grip, thumb position