SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-08-2010, 13:18   #1
CTfam
DREAM BIG.

AK-74 vs VZ-58 Help me choose!

I need to make a decision here and I'm torn between these two. This will be my go to rifle for everything from HD, SHTF, Zombies, UFOs, Rise of the fourth Reich, etc...

I am familiar with the AK and I love the platform. I don't know much about the 5.45 round other than the surplus is cheap right now and supposedly it makes some nasty wounds in soft targets. Here in CT I can't own an AK-47 in 7.62x39mm.

The VZ-58 looks like a great rifle and I prefer the 7.62x39mm. Everyone who owns one seems to love it but I have no experience with it.

Parts and ammo availability isn't an issue for me. Whatever I choose I will be stocking up on plenty of ammo and mags. The VZ looks to be the better rifle but for the price of one Czechpoint VZ I can purchase an AK-74, ten mags and 4K rounds of 7N6. There is something to be said for that.

What would you choose and why?
Old 08-08-2010, 13:31   #2
mikeyU

One now and one later. I like both calibers for different reasons. I would grab an Arsenal SGL-31 for your 74.
mikeyU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 13:38   #3
CTfam
DREAM BIG.

They look nice. Only thing is I can't have any muzzle brake or bayonet lug. I would just convert a Saiga.
Old 08-08-2010, 16:32   #4
digilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTfam View Post
I would just convert a Saiga.
A big Plus One. I have a 5.45 Saiga and love it. Plus, you can convert it a little at a time, as you get funds.
Old 08-08-2010, 16:37   #5
Aceman

FOr pure sudden total emergency - I gotta go with the AK-74. Ammo and mags for the price is the first issue, and then it's everything else.

The VZ is the infinitely cooler, hipper, better weapon IMO (never shot one for the record), however, it's a rare bird. I love 7.62x39 for all kinds of reason over gopher round guns....but they are effective.

VZ is the gun to own after your first AK.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 16:45   #6
tk47

Me personally, I'd go with the vz. I just like the 7.62 better since it is kind of an all purpose round. The one big advantage that stands out to me is that it can be used to hunt medium sized game out to about 150yds. The 5.45 while an amazing anti-personnel round doesn't have the same SHTF versitility of the 7.62 with some softpoints loaded up. That's why I went with an SGL-21.

I'm not familiar with CT law so I'm a little perplexed as to why they would let you own a 74, ar-15, or a vz which is basically the same thing as a 47 just with different internals, but not let you own a 47

Last edited by tk47; 08-08-2010 at 16:49..
tk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 16:45   #7
ri.ben

are we talking saiga vs century vz?i would do some serious reading on cen. vz before i bought one.not condemning it, just cause i never did.that said in my humble opinion vz gets the shoot ability award(although with 545 i think the recoil and accuracy becomes moot) and ak gets durability(mostly cause i can get over the aluminum mags on vz) and simplicity (break down /reassembly).neither advantage i think will effect practical use.to me your decision lies with the round and if vz turns you on enough to pay more.the czechpoint vz i looked over seemed very well built and smooth as glass.
ri.ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 16:53   #8
ri.ben

i see now you are speaking of the czechpoint.
ri.ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 17:08   #9
07 LMB Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk47 View Post
Me personally, I'd go with the vz. I just like the 7.62 better since it is kind of an all purpose round. The one big advantage that stands out to me is that it can be used to hunt medium sized game out to about 150yds. The 5.45 while an amazing anti-personnel round doesn't have the same SHTF versitility of the 7.62 with some softpoints loaded up. That's why I went with an SGL-21.

I'm not familiar with CT law so I'm a little perplexed as to why they would let you own a 74, ar-15, or a vz which is basically the same thing as a 47 just with different internals, but not let you own a 47
Because of the name...seriously. We can't own AK's here in Cook County despite being able to legally buy them pretty much anywhere else in the state.

Last edited by 07 LMB Z06; 08-08-2010 at 17:08..
07 LMB Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 20:01   #10
CTfam
DREAM BIG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk47 View Post
Yeah tell me about it... The AK-47 is named specifically on an assault weapons ban list that never "sunsettted" here. We are able to buy 74s, VZs and other similar weapons. Just can't have any muzzle breaks, Bayo lugs, folding stocks... Don't even get me started!!!

Anyways, I love the AK platform and price point. I shot a Czechpoint VZ once at the range and wow it did feel great. This is a big decision because I am selling off most of my collection and I will just dedicate $$$$ to ammo mags and training for my go to pistol and rifle. I'm done being a collector. Glock/AK or Glock/VZ??? Maybe I'm splitting hairs.
Old 08-09-2010, 20:07   #11
CTfam
DREAM BIG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
FOr pure sudden total emergency - I gotta go with the AK-74. Ammo and mags for the price is the first issue, and then it's everything else.

The VZ is the infinitely cooler, hipper, better weapon IMO (never shot one for the record), however, it's a rare bird. I love 7.62x39 for all kinds of reason over gopher round guns....but they are effective.

VZ is the gun to own after your first AK.
I do own a Saiga .223 that i converted. It's a great rifle but the surefire mags cost $30 a piece. Plus I'd rather stack 7N6 over wolf .223 in the long run. Great rifle but I'm not ready to commit to it and really stack deep. I'd basically be going from one gopher round to another for my own reasons.

But man that VZ is light weight, slick as hell and shoots the hammer of death 7.62x39mm!
Old 08-09-2010, 20:29   #12
digilo

Quote:
I do own a Saiga .223 that i converted. It's a great rifle but the surefire mags cost $30 a piece. Plus I'd rather stack 7N6 over wolf .223 in the long run. Great rifle but I'm not ready to commit to it and really stack deep. I'd basically be going from one gopher round to another for my own reasons.

But man that VZ is light weight, slick as hell and shoots the hammer of death 7.62x39mm!
If you converted the Saiga, it wouldn't need $30 surefire mags. Buy a bullet guide kit from Dinzag and install it, ($33) it's easy- one hole to drill and tap- and you can run 5.45 mags with a follower change, or Tapco .223 AK mags ($15 ea).

I have a .223 Saiga I fully converted, with a 20" barrel, and I use the cheap Tapco mags, and never have a problem.

Also, re: the 5.45 vs .223, they're close to the same caliber, but the .223 relies on fragmentation to do the job, whereas the 5.45 tumbles to do it's damage. Tumble is less dependent on velocity than fragmentation. Check out the 5.45 round sometime- that bullet is 25mm long. Imagine what a 1-inch long bullet .221 or so in dia does to tissue when it starts tumbling and helicoptering inside. Just something to consider. Also, the 5.45 round is accurate out to further distance than the 7.62x39 round.
hope this helps

Last edited by digilo; 08-09-2010 at 20:47..
digilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 22:19   #13
captdomm

vz 58

vz-58 for me.I was in the same position as you a short time ago,i live in c.t. and was looking at ak74's when I came across the vz-58.I now have 2 vz's with quite a few rounds through them.from the milled steel receiver,light weight,light recoil,ease of maintenance and breakdown to easy availability of parts including magazines they would be my go to weapon,hands down.though my ar's have a slight edge in accuracy in distances over 100yds I find the vz's and the 7.62 round the cats ass out to that distance.I have done to few modifications to mine and if you are in central c.t. pm me and I would be more than happy to help you make up you're mind.The Kalashnikov Klub
captdomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 22:47   #14
captdomm

vz-58

In my experience regarding c.t. law,ak47 in 7.62 no go,in 223 yes.ak 74 yes,vz-58 in 7.62 yes,30 rd mags yes,flash hiders no, muzzle breaks yes but have to be welded and or welded and pinned to barrel,collapsible stocks have to be blind pinned to make them immovable.feel free to add anything I forgot.
Old 08-10-2010, 19:52   #15
CTfam
DREAM BIG.

Very nice! Good to see a CT resident checking in. Someone let me shoot a quick mag through their VZ at the range a while back. Didn't do any accuracy testing or anything.

I'm pretty much sold on the VZ at this point. I'm right outside of Hartford captdomm. Where do you shoot?
Old 08-10-2010, 21:36   #16
captdomm

vz-58

p.m. sent
Old 08-11-2010, 00:49   #17
Novocaine

I will take AK over VZ and Mak over CZ-82 (but CZ-75 over Yarygin) any day but since you already have converted Saiga in .223, -74 is not going to offer much over it other than the price of ammo. Get VZ.
Novocaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 19:47   #18
my762buzz

Quote:
Here in CT I can't own an AK-47 in 7.62x39mm.
Damm you need the new 7.62x39 Izmash Improved caliber AK. It fires that caliber and yes you guessed it right it also happens to fire the 7.62x39 caliber also. This newer caliber chamber neck is band recessed which improves reliability also. Its only available with 7.62x39 RAA saigas. You will know if you own a 7.62x39 Improved caliber rifle because it will bulge the case necks. Your state's attorney general will have no choice but to accept the new caliber designation AK into the approved list. LOL

The Kalashnikov Klub
my762buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 23:20   #19
gp35fn

I have both, and which is better is a tough decision. The VZ58 is light and offers superb handling, but only comes in 7.62x39mm-not my first choice in caliber. The AK74 comes in the 5.45x39mm- a far better caliber then 7.62x39mm IMO. The AK 74 is more rugged then the VZ58 and has far less recoil-and alot of more parts/magazine options,it is my first choice.
Two of my D-tech VZ58.
The Kalashnikov Klub
One of my CURII 5.45 AK.
The Kalashnikov Klub
gp35fn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 00:48   #20
TED

Regarding the picture of the chamber and casing above...

That is a picture of the chamber of an AK made for civillian use in another country (Russia IIRC) it is done allegedly to help crime investigators identify if the round was fired by a military or civillian weapon.

TED
TED is offline   Reply With Quote