SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-08-2010, 16:36   #1
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

If Dirty Harry were real, he would use Blue dot

I just got done shooting a couple rounds with Blue dot. These were just typical 12.5grs. of Blue dot behind a 155gr. XTP using cci 350s - The flash is just amazing, and the sound is just pure magnum.

I love Blue dot for just plain old fun.

For plinking rounds and for showing friends how bada55 the 10 mil is, I don't think you can beat it.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:18   #2
Meathead9

I couldn't agree with you more, Blue Dot is my new favorite powder. I just worked up to 12.5gr with some 150gr Noslers I picked up. I had the best precision with 12.5gr, and that load turned some heads to say the least. I think it convinced a couple guys to buy 10mm Glocks, and one guy told me he was going to order a G20L setup as soon as he got home.

I'm glad to see another guy on here that likes to have fun...
Old 08-09-2010, 08:27   #3
cwb

My only issue with Blue Dot is that it gets inconsistent as the pressure increases. Other than that, I like it.
cwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 21:31   #4
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb View Post
My only issue with Blue Dot is that it gets inconsistent as the pressure increases. Other than that, I like it.
I have heard this more than once about Blue Dot, but I have not found this to be the case in my own experiences. So I am curious about what symptoms you have noticed about BD that shows inconsistencies. I use BD a lot, so I am always interested in what I may be missing.

Blue Dot has been very consistent at max loads in my testing as evidenced by lowish SDs on velocities, good accuracy, and consistent measurements of case expansion.

P.S. I am aware of the safety bulletin regarding BD and .357/.41 mag loads.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:19   #5
chippy

WOW ! I can finally agree with "Meat-Head".

BD has always been my fav pistol powder since I started re-loading in the late 70's. 38/357 with an old "Lee-Loader". One at a time.
The sticky on 125grn. 357 scares me as I have loaded many,many .38/.357s with this powder & bullet. No press. problems. In fact, I have never personally had indications of high pressure with any of my Blue Dot loads in any caliber I have tried. Some have been VERY warm!
In my experience BD has been a very versatile, and forgiving powder choice. Good velocity, clean burning(likes a heavy crimp), and an impressive muzzle flash!

It's funny, I get way more bulges and "smileys" in my Glock-20 with factory loads than my high end BD loads.
Has something changed with Blue Dot?
chippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:35   #6
Meathead9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippy View Post
WOW ! I can finally agree with "Meat-Head".
I'm glad we agree on something too, although I can't remember disagreeing with you so much that this is a monumental accomplishment. I guess I'll look back through my posts, I take most disagreements on here with a grain of salt. Usually something doesn't translate like intended, and sometimes people are just in a bad mood. Anyone that shoots/loads 10mm is okay in my book...
Old 08-15-2010, 13:34   #7
chippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead9 View Post
I'm glad we agree on something too, although I can't remember disagreeing with you so much that this is a monumental accomplishment. I guess I'll look back through my posts, I take most disagreements on here with a grain of salt. Usually something doesn't translate like intended, and sometimes people are just in a bad mood. Anyone that shoots/loads 10mm is okay in my book...

LOL - I was refering to my avatar! Archie Bunker called his son-in-law"Meat-Head". They never agreed on anything! Classic conservative Republican vs. hippie liberal Dem. "All In the Family" was the TV show. It's a 70's thing....
Old 08-15-2010, 13:37   #8
chippy

P.s.

Hey Meathead, anybody who shoots a "10mm" is ok in my book too!
Old 08-15-2010, 20:24   #9
Glockin26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegs View Post
I just got done shooting a couple rounds with Blue dot. These were just typical 12.5grs. of Blue dot behind a 155gr. XTP using cci 350s - The flash is just amazing, and the sound is just pure magnum.

I love Blue dot for just plain old fun.

For plinking rounds and for showing friends how bada55 the 10 mil is, I don't think you can beat it.

So are you using magnum primers?
Glockin26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 22:03   #10
chippy

Non-magnum primers tend to work better. It has been reported that magnum primers create the "pressure spikes" you hear of with BD powder. Personally I use Winchester Large Pistol primers. They claim to be ok for both standard and mag. loads.
No problems here.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:09   #11
lunker

Some powders work fine with, or even prefer magnum powders (like AA #9). Some have the pressure issues (like Blue Dot) with magnum powders. I am just passing along this info from Handloader magazine. Unless I am out of large pistol primers, I don't use magnums.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 17:47   #12
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockin26 View Post
So are you using magnum primers?
YES. I am using CCI 350s, but I've used other non-magnums as well.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:12   #13
MinervaDoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
I have heard this more than once about Blue Dot, but I have not found this to be the case in my own experiences. So I am curious about what symptoms you have noticed about BD that shows inconsistencies. I use BD a lot, so I am always interested in what I may be missing.
I was using a very hot Blue Dot load from an old Sierra manual. I was 1/2 grain below their posted maximum, but it was still over a half grain hotter than any of the loads in my other manuals.

The load seemed to worked fine. Then one night I went to my local indoor range and they were venting in a lot of cold winter air. The load seemed suddenly very peppy, but I shot it without thinking much about it. By the end of the night, I had blown the magazine out of my Glock 34 twice and several of my cases had ruptrues down at the base.

I took apart several rounds with my ballistic hammer and reweighed the powder charge. It was right on. The reloads were very old, so the age of the powder may have been a factor, but I believe that temperature is also a factor with Blue Dot.

I am still in the process of unloading the rest of this ammo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by MinervaDoe; 08-24-2010 at 11:25..
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 17:33   #14
leeward419

Send a message via ICQ to leeward419
I love blue dot in my 357 sig, great powder, you gotta be careful though when the temperature drops, I am told it causes pressure spikes.The deal with the magnum primers (i dont use them as I only load full power loads (85-95 percent of max) is that with light loads, magnum primers prevent the load from igniting the powder from the front of the cartridge (ie flashover the powder charge) thereby burning from front to back, turning the cartridge into a shaped charge. Not a problem with loads filling up the full case.
Recently turned on to the 357 sig loving its power and flat shooting characteristics, thinking next glock the g20.
How accurate is the G20, is it worth the extra bucks getting the compensated version, and can yoiu shoot steel at 100 yards with the g20. Dont know much about the 10mm g20, looking for the next "big thing".
Thanks for any info

Last edited by leeward419; 09-21-2010 at 17:38..
leeward419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 18:22   #15
OhioGlockMan

I love the big muzzle flash that bluedot makes, sometimes a low flash powder isn't the most desirable for just havin fun
OhioGlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:50   #16
AZBru88

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeward419 View Post
Recently turned on to the 357 sig loving its power and flat shooting characteristics, thinking next glock the g20.
How accurate is the G20, is it worth the extra bucks getting the compensated version, and can yoiu shoot steel at 100 yards with the g20. Dont know much about the 10mm g20, looking for the next "big thing".
Thanks for any info
You'll have no problem knocking steel down at a hundred yards. I've been looking for a 20C to go with my 29 and 20. I've cooled off a little lately on the C model just because the 20 shoots so well, I really don't know if the C model will do anything for me. My second shot is very quick with the plain 20 model. Seems like it comes right back to point of aim! I will probably get a 20C soon, just for S's and giggles. But I'm not feeling the need like I was. Just another Glock to shoot and have fun with. I have a 19C, 17C, so I'm sure when I find a 20C I'll have to have one too!
Guys are telling me with the 6" hunting barrels they are seeing about 100 fps improvement. Don't think I'd spend the money on one, but the LW long slides do look pretty cool! Longer sight radius if your shooting lots of steel.
AZBru88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:09   #17
leeward419

Send a message via ICQ to leeward419
Quote:
You'll have no problem knocking steel down at a hundred yards. I've been looking for a 20C to go with my 29 and 20. I've cooled off a little lately on the C model just because the 20 shoots so well, I really don't know if the C model will do anything for me. My second shot is very quick with the plain 20 model. Seems like it comes right back to point of aim! I will probably get a 20C soon, just for S's and giggles. But I'm not feeling the need like I was. Just another Glock to shoot and have fun with. I have a 19C, 17C, so I'm sure when I find a 20C I'll have to have one too!
Guys are telling me with the 6" hunting barrels they are seeing about 100 fps improvement. Don't think I'd spend the money on one, but the LW long slides do look pretty cool! Longer sight radius if your shooting lots of steel.
I have the 32C it does help for target shooting, not sure if I like the holes if use the 20 for hunting now and then
Thanks for the info, leaning towards the plain 20
leeward419 is offline   Reply With Quote