Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-08-2010, 17:08   #1
n2extrm

Got my new 650 up and running

Well I had decided that I would go ahead and buy a new press. I wanted to add a second press and after much debate, a thread by C4W and some poking form Jack I did it. (I could not let allow jack to keep picking on flatlanders for being indecisive.)

I went to set up my new 650 and found my bench would not work. I needed a 3/4" over hang and did not have it. Then I took a good look at my bench and decided it had to be redone. I sent a message to C4W who agreed and gave me some great ideas and suggestions. Thank you Steve.

The bench as it was Friday night.

Reloading

I rebuilt the bench and got it up in running in short order. The place was really a mess and still has a bit more to go.

Today loading 45acp.

Reloading

It was a busy weekend with a lot of other things going on. As such it is a work in progress.

As for the press I have loaded 400 rounds or so today and I am very happy with it. Set up was easy, the press was ordered set up for 45acp and without dies. I inspected it as per the instructions and all the parts were correct and properly adjusted. I basically only had to add my dies. I removed the powder measure and dies from my 550 and moved them over. This was where I had some minor issues. I will say adjusting and setting up dies on the 550 is easier, the auto-indexing on the 650 can be a pain compared to the 550.

I found the loading process very simple and fast. I had a few simple issues. I missed a 40 case in my sorting and it got stuck in a 45 causing the case not to feed. My fault. I had a case get stuck in the feeder blocking the wheel that rotates. I noticed I had not heard any noise looked up and could see the empty tube and the problem. I had 1 case feed up side down. As soon as I moved the arm forward/down I felt something was wrong and spotted the problem. I had 1 small primer 45 case get past me and that was spotted in priming. I pulled it out and tested the ramp for unused primers.

I did not worry about speed at all. So much is going on at once I was trying to learn where to look and what to watch, how it all worked together. I did take notice in the time I went through a full primer tube (100 primers) only 3 songs on the country station had played, so call it 12 minutes probably less.

At the end of 400 rounds I had a few questions and I am sure unclebob will help me out. But all in all I am very happy with it and fairly comfortable with it's use. I did at first regret not getting the powder check, but in the end I feel a little better without it then before. I still may add it. I do not think the 650 is a good first press, but that is MHO. A lot of stuff to watch and you may be better served going to it from another progressive. Again JMHO.

I wonder how you 650 guys end off a session? On the 550 I would run it out of primers, dump my powder and call it a day.

Is there an easy way to stop the indexing? How about the case feeder? I know you can turn it off, but with a full tube if you have a problem can you stop it?

Last edited by n2extrm; 08-08-2010 at 17:13..
n2extrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 17:28   #2
Glockin26

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2extrm View Post

Is there an easy way to stop the indexing??
Don't pull the handle.
Glockin26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 17:33   #3
AZBru88

Congrats enjoy your new 650! Where is your roller handle on your 550? Have to have them on mine!
AZBru88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 17:35   #4
n2extrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBru88 View Post
Congrats enjoy your new 650! Where is your roller handle on your 550? Have to have them on mine!
Thank you. I never tried the roller handle till the 650. Everyone kept telling me to get one, now I need a second one!
Old 08-08-2010, 17:44   #5
oldsoldier

Cut off the toe end of a cotton sock and put it over the ball on the 550 until you pick up the roller handle. Makes it a lot easier on your hand. I think they should ship the Dillon presses with the roller handle and be done with it.
oldsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 18:00   #6
Colorado4Wheel

Looking good. Glad to hear you got it done this weekend and your up and loading. Looks good.

Do you have the "Brass Sorter" Dillon and Midway USA sells for about $40. With a casefeeder it's very worth it to not have a piece of the wrong brass gum up the works.
Old 08-08-2010, 18:31   #7
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

I have a very special Rocky Patal Vintage 92 tucked away in the humidor just waiting to be lit with a wafer thin piece of cherry wood when the big announcement comes and what do we get... hey, hey everyone, I got a new press! I ain't wastin' a good cigar on a Blue boat anchor.

And what's this stuff about 'rebuilding' the bench? Looks like you tacked on a piece of one by on the front lip to give you the overhang. Probably didn't take you and Little Stevie more than 6 or 7 hours to figure out that complex modification. Did you apply for the necessary building permits and call for an inspection?

Oops, oops, almost forgot about the new peg board... nice touch but it needs an additional permit.

Now that we have the obligatory gracious congratulations out of the way lets get down to the nitty gritty. (Not to be confused with the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band which should be included in your loading musical repertoire.)

I'm not familiar with the 650 case feeder, although the shell plate is interchangeable with the LNL feeder, but on the LNL stopping the cases from dropping is as simple as unscrewing the shuttle activation plunger. I would imagine the 650 system has something similar. Takes about 3 seconds and lets you finish a primer tube or just load another caliber without using the feeder.

I cut my primer alarm rod so it goes off when there's two primers left, I pull the handle one more time, disconnect the shuttle plunger and just keep pulling the handle until the shell plate is empty. Works slick.

I never empty my powder measures unless I'm changing powder. Yeah, yeah, I don't know what I'm doing... it's going to eat the plastic hopper, the powder will explode in the middle of the night causing the entire Rocky Mountain range to burn to the ground and wiping out the few existing families of endangered Pribble mice. Screw 'em, it'll save me money on mouse traps.

Unclebob will be around as soon as he can find his glasses and give you the skinny on the case feeder... he owns the original patent drawings.

Oh, in case you didn't get the subliminal message... congratulations.

Now where the hell is my nephew?

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 18:46   #8
Colorado4Wheel

Ultimate reloader shows a little metal clip he made that stops the cases from coming down
Old 08-08-2010, 19:04   #9
unclebob

First welcome too the world of the 650. The more you load with it the more you well not want too load on the 550. At least that what happened too me.
Going by your picture. Your 550 looks like you have the fail Safe rod on the wrong side of the powder measure. It goes left too right.
I would highly recommend you getting the strong mount. This well bring the press up too where it needs too be. What I have found you want too stand too the left of the center on the press where you can look down at station 3 too check for powder in the case. Glance over too station one too make sure there is not a case upside down. Really that is all you need too look at. As the case is moving too station 4. Place the bullet on the case and ride it over.
Fell the primer being seated. Any resistance stop. Did it fell right going in? Turn your radio off. You are also hearing what is going on. Did the brass feeder start and stop. Or is still running.
When setting up your dies leave all of the buttons off. Sizer die just donít come all the way down
Station two first set your bell. If you need too adjust it? Let the case go too station 3 pull it out and put in back in at station two. Same with the powder measure drop.
Station 4, start height with your COL and work your way down. The Redding computation bullet seating die that that a snap. Also if you use different bullets. Station 5 the same thing. As the ram is coming down pull the case out.
I load with no button in station 3. Makes it a lot easier too check it the primer did not feel right in going in. etc.
On your case feeder you do not have that washer under the brass plate? Also make sure it is all the way down. When you put it no move it back and forth just too make sure.
I have never found the need to stop the auto indexing. But if you do take off the shell plate and remove the Index Pawl. Install the shell plate you now have manual indexing.
Do not Do not take off the Indexer Block.
If you want too stop feeding primers take off the Primer Cam. There is no adjustment on that.
While you have the shell plate off put grease in the hole that the index Pawl sets into. This well help when the shell plate moves over and lock in place that pawl does not jump up and knocks powder out of the case. Also the Index Ball Spring cut half of a coil off that also helps also.
If you need too take off the brass feed tube. First turn off the brass feeder. Then if you can press the case feed arm and eject a case out the bottom. If you cannot do that. Take a small screwdriver and at the case feeder in that slot try and raise the case then pull the tube out. Some times easer said than done.
Any thing I can help you with just let me know. Hope this helped you out some.
GSSF Life Member
Old 08-08-2010, 19:04   #10
n2extrm

Jack

Thank you for all your kind words. As usual you have brought a tear to my eye.

As for the bench all permits were filed and inspections past as well as a consult from a structural engineer. (I know he was legit because of the boots)

This is what the mess looked like Friday when I knocked off.

Reloading

As for your nephew, August 27th is the date for the c-section if we don't go before that. I don't know if I told you but mom gave me a good scare on easter Sunday and as such is going to be a c-section. They do not want her to go into labor. She is OK but I think the doc is going to tell her it's time at the appointment tomorrow.

I only dump the powder because the building is detached and the humidity here in the summer is high. If I am going back to reload the next day I don't bother. Same for primers I figure 90 degrees and 90% humidity isn't the best for them. As you can see the meassure is stained from when I used to be in the house, you know before the new arrival was expected. Now she has me banished!
Old 08-08-2010, 19:08   #11
n2extrm

Steve,
Thanks I just looked at his clip I will have to fashion on of those.
I do not have the case sorter. I keep forgeting to get one when I order. I got to do it now.
Old 08-08-2010, 19:13   #12
n2extrm

Unclebob
Thanks again. So far the press is awesome. I hope to get a little more fluent with it. I only asked about indexing for when you adjust powder charges. On the 550 you can keep dumping the case and slip it right back in and try again, not so easy on the 650. I do intend to leave it set up for the 45acp so not too big of a deal, and I think I settled on WST for 45. That being said, in the few moments I spent loading on it, yeah I can see the 550 getting put aside and some caliber conversion for the 650 on order. That will totally defeat why I added a press! But so far the 650 is great!
Old 08-08-2010, 19:14   #13
unclebob

Jack you forgot the other piece of plywood he put on top. Boy you are slipping I caught that and I donít need my reading glassís too see it.
By the way with my bionic eye I no longer need glassís first time in 50 plus years. But I never could figure out. I need glassís too drive a car but I could fly an airplane with out them.
I know
GSSF Life Member
Old 08-08-2010, 19:17   #14
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
Jack you forgot the other piece of plywood he put on top. Boy you are slipping I caught that and I donít need my reading glassís too see it.
By the way with my bionic eye I no longer need glassís first time in 50 plus years. But I never could figure out. I need glassís too drive a car but I could fly an airplane with out them.
I know
Is it one of those airplanes that only goes up and down when Jack puts quarters in it?

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 19:23   #15
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2extrm View Post
Unclebob
Thanks again. So far the press is awesome. I hope to get a little more fluent with it. I only asked about indexing for when you adjust powder charges. On the 550 you can keep dumping the case and slip it right back in and try again, not so easy on the 650. I do intend to leave it set up for the 45acp so not too big of a deal, and I think I settled on WST for 45. That being said, in the few moments I spent loading on it, yeah I can see the 550 getting put aside and some caliber conversion for the 650 on order. That will totally defeat why I added a press! But so far the 650 is great!
Just take the case and going from the left side of the press. Using the base of the case and push the Primer Station Locator Tab back and slide the case back into the shell plate.
GSSF Life Member
Old 08-08-2010, 19:26   #16
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
Is it one of those airplanes that only goes up and down when Jack puts quarters in it?
No, it was a real Cessna airplane.
GSSF Life Member
Old 08-08-2010, 19:32   #17
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 19:33   #18
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
I think he's a little sensative about it

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 19:57   #19
Colorado4Wheel

My solution for the overhang issue was pretty simple. I actually like what he did much better.
Old 08-11-2010, 13:14   #20
labdwakin

Send a message via Yahoo to labdwakin
You can get a little single cell Mag-Light that the body just fits in that hole in the center of your toolhead. Get a big heavy O-ring and use that on the body of the flashlight and VIOLA! you have a reloading light that lets you see what's going on a little better.

SORT your brass CAREFULLY. That was my biggest nemesis when I first got my 650. I don't have the casefeeder on mine yet, but if I have someone filling primer tubes and the brass feeder tube for me while I load, I can do 1000 rounds an hour if I feel like standing there that long.

Anyhow... GRATZ :d