Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-10-2010, 15:05   #1
jack76590

extra strength spring for slide release lever

If there any place I can purchase an extra strength spring for the glock slide release lever?

Over time and not really that many rounds, this spring weakens in my G27 and the slide release lever will engage with rounds in the mag. It is not a question of me brushing the lever with my thumb. I have had it happen as many as three time in a mag and then disappear once I replaced the slide release lever, which of course includes new spring.

And I use only the standard slide release lever, as the heavier-extended version would be worse.

I am old enough to remember this happening when people put heavy-extended slide release levers on the heavy recoiling airweight commanders.
jack76590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 15:17   #2
JR
GT Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to JR Send a message via Yahoo to JR
Nope, no such thing as a heavy slide stop lever spring.

FYI: I do not agree with your findings. I am sure your shooting style is accidently engaging the slide stop lever. When the gun is under recoil the edge of your thumb is creeping up along side and engaging it. There is a simple test you can use to verify. Remove the top end, flick the slide stop lever upward. If it springs back down into position you are good to go. It has performed its job flawlessly! Now to prove it to yourself insert a loaded magazine. You will see there is absolutely NOTHING near the slide stop that would engage it.

Odds are you recently installed an extended slide stop and the problem has sprung up like a nasty weed. The easy fix is to modify your shooting grip and adopt "high thumbs". This grip is very common among 1911 shooters. The other fix is to go back to the standard slide stop.
Old 08-10-2010, 16:28   #3
jack76590

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
Nope, no such thing as a heavy slide stop lever spring.

FYI: I do not agree with your findings. I am sure your shooting style is accidently engaging the slide stop lever. When the gun is under recoil the edge of your thumb is creeping up along side and engaging it. There is a simple test you can use to verify. Remove the top end, flick the slide stop lever upward. If it springs back down into position you are good to go. It has performed its job flawlessly! Now to prove it to yourself insert a loaded magazine. You will see there is absolutely NOTHING near the slide stop that would engage it.

Odds are you recently installed an extended slide stop and the problem has sprung up like a nasty weed. The easy fix is to modify your shooting grip and adopt "high thumbs". This grip is very common among 1911 shooters. The other fix is to go back to the standard slide stop.
I never installed an extended slide stop, as I stated in the initial post.

Also as I stated in the initial post it happened about three times per mag and then stopped, when I installed a new part. I did not mention this was for several mags in a row, not just one. Therefore, I really believe it was the part and not me.

This repeated failure was the first time it happened, last time I simply replace the part at the first sign of failure. So possible in later situation my thumb has engaged. But no way in my opinion was my technique the case, when I ran a couple of mags thru the glock, being very careful to assure my thumb was down and had about three lockbacks per mag and then it stopped immediately and for several thousand rounds after I replaced part.

I have tested the spring tension, as you suggested and it does get weaker with use and this is when problems happen. But the spring would have passed your test, when I was having the bunch of lockbacks. It is difficult to tell exactly, when the spring is weak enough for this problem to occur. This makes preventive maintanence difficult.

Appreciate your response but we will have to agree to disagree on this one, at least in regard to the cause of my initial problems.

Last edited by jack76590; 08-10-2010 at 16:54..
jack76590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 16:49   #4
JR
GT Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to JR Send a message via Yahoo to JR
I appreciate your reply. I read right over the point you made about installing (not) a extended slide stop, my bad.
It still stands to reason the malfunction is self inflected. Especially after you perform the verification test as I outlined. Even if the spring is weak, it is weak pulling down and out of the way.... Not up and engaging. We can agree on that, correct?

I hope you find the answer. If you do, please post it here. I would love to provide another GT'er with two options for failure instead of one.

Last edited by JR; 08-10-2010 at 16:50..
JR is offline   Reply With Quote