Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-22-2010, 14:41   #1
tuica

I have seen the light

I have often on this site argued that the 45GAP was an interesting concept that had very little practical application. Increased awareness and study recently caused me to pick up a used G37 (w/ 3 mags) at a gunshow yesterday. I paid $400 for a model so unused that another vendor - who repairs/makes alterations on Glocks - exclaimed on his examination that "this gun has never been fired." So, here I begin a journey into the world of a new caliber. Like Sweeney said in his book: if this cartridge would have come out in the late 1980's - the (handgun) world would be quite different." Question. Have some access to ammo locally, but who does the best mail order/prices for the GAP? Able, Midway, Cabella's, CT Dirt, Georgia A...others? Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 08-22-2010, 16:53   #2
jeffreybehr
GAPist #1944

This will get you started...
http://www.ammoengine.com/find/ammo/.45_GAP

...and reading lots on this forum will get you caught up. I have a 37 I shoot (often very poorly) in competition and have carried a 38. Its magz had the Pearce +1 (+2? just '+'?) extenders...
The Bull Dawgs Club
For some reason, even tho I'd had a couple 23s with Pearce pinky extenders that felt great, the 38 never felt great, and I sold it.

The 37 is the softest-shooting Glock I've ever shot; I can shoot hundreds of rounds in a day and never know it after.

If you don't reload and will use the 37 for PD, I recommend the Speer 185 GoldDots.
Old 08-22-2010, 20:14   #3
Lotsa Glocks

I have been very happy with GA's Canned Heat. I plan to start reloading once my current stock is depleted and I have a sufficient supply of brass. HTH.

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense?" Patrick Henry
Lotsa Glocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:07   #4
tuica

Thanks for the leads.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:56   #5
legion3

I have been critical (and still am concerned) over the lack of ammo. Especially 230 grain SD. However, I did venture into the GAP world with a 37, 38 and 39 last week. All were like yours, $400 each OTD.

While HST and Ranger still are alluding me, I have picked up several boxes of ammo both SD and range. 200 grain Speer GD's appear to be the option. Although I did find a few boxes of 230 Grain Federal Hydra Shok.

I saw a FL state Trooper at the Orlando show this last weekend and he had his 4th Gen G37 in his holster.

As I have said if the ammo ever does a 41AE, I guess I can frame them or hang them above the mantel.
legion3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:17   #6
tuica

Certainly hope the cartridge is here to stay, and they are more prevelant on your side of the US than here in the west. But it is going against a tried and true American Icon (I own several) in the 45 ACP. It has also only been around since 2005, so may become more popular with time. If they do go south, we will perhaps own a valuable collectable.
Old 08-23-2010, 13:01   #7
jeffreybehr
GAPist #1944

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion3 View Post
...if the ammo ever does a 41AE, I guess I can frame them or hang them above the mantel.
...or reload for them. One recovers the reloading-equipment cost in the 1st 10 - 20 boxes of ammo, so why not?

Here are a couple 185HPs by Montana Gold and Magnus...
The Bull Dawgs Club

Berry's plated bullets also work very well at GAP velocities.
The Bull Dawgs Club
Old 08-23-2010, 15:20   #8
tuica

Well done.
Old 08-24-2010, 13:37   #9
dragonmalice

Keep an eye on AIMSurplus - they've had 200 grain Lawman come up twice now for $16. Looks like they already sold out again (not me this time), but maybe it will be a regular thing.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...AP&groupid=108
Old 08-24-2010, 15:03   #10
tuica

Thanks, dragonmalice.