Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-11-2010, 21:42   #1
sambeaux2249

Good, inexpensive sabot slugs for rifled barrel?

I picked up a rifled barrel for my Benelli nova a while back. It's made by Ithaca, to fit the Nova.

I'm not sure where to find sabot slugs in my area; I haven't had much luck so far. I also don't know what kinds of sabot slugs to pick up, and as expensive as they are I don't want to try 20 different styles. Any suggestions for where to buy and WHAT to buy?

I've also heard good things about the Remington Buckhammer. Any opinions?

Thanks.

Sam
Old 08-12-2010, 05:51   #2
southernshooter

slugs

I shoot hornady 300 grain sabots but they aren't cheap. Like $12.95. Theory has it that regular rifled slugs will lead up the rifling in a rifled slug barrel. I have shot some in my 870 and when I clean it I just don't really see any leading up. Maybe you have to shoot alot of them, but shooting 5 or 6 at the time I don't see any leading so far.
Old 08-12-2010, 19:32   #3
Ferdinandd

You'd have to load them yourself, which isn't hard, but I'd recommend a Lyman 525 grain pellet shaped slug loaded in a common wad, loaded over a propellant charge delivering 1300 fps or so, at minimum. From what I've heard, these work very well in rifled barrels - I only have smoothbores. You can buy the projectiles for $.50 or less, and have them really cheap if you cast them...
Ferdinandd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:29   #4
a1b2c3

No sabot slugs are cheap unless you roll your own. I've used the Remington copper solids in a rifled barrel and they are excellent and very accurate.
a1b2c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 14:37   #5
Hedo1

A rifled slug barrel really starts to benefit you past 50 yds. Inside 50 yds. the non sabot slugs will hold their own (3-4moa) with sights at this distance in most cases.

When you get out to 100-150 yds. the sabot slugs in a rifled barrel will still shoot 3-4 moa. The non sabot slugs will be spread out wider. My favorite ones right now are the Winchester Dual Bond sabot slugs. They drive a 375 gr. slug at 1800 fps. in the 2 3/4 version.

So unless you are planning to shoot at longer distances the non sabot ones will shoot just fine, and they are much cheaper. You could save the sabots for longer shots.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:24   #6
sambeaux2249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedo1 View Post
A rifled slug barrel really starts to benefit you past 50 yds. Inside 50 yds. the non sabot slugs will hold their own (3-4moa) with sights at this distance in most cases.

So unless you are planning to shoot at longer distances the non sabot ones will shoot just fine, and they are much cheaper. You could save the sabots for longer shots.
Well... I kinda like the idea of being useful at longer ranges. And I don't much care for the idea of having a barrel that I can't use because I don't have any ammo suitable for it. I'd like to have a few boxes of sabot slugs on hand.

I don't mind rolling my own, but I hadn't actually considered that. My shotgun press has been collecting dust for years. The last time I looked,
it was a dollar cheaper per box to buy promotional ammo than it was to
load it.

Thanks to all. I'm still interested in commercial ammo, but I'd greatly appreciate tips on finding components and/or recipes. The Lee slug mold looks interesting...

Sam
Old 08-15-2010, 12:27   #7
hmchardy

I got into making my own slugs after seeing this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g06a6RWC4A

Be forwarned, if you decide to get into casting your own your friends and family will begin to look at you in a whole new and funny way.

Here is a great web site that you will want to know about if you decide to go into this venture further...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/
hmchardy is offline   Reply With Quote