Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-12-2010, 00:43   #1
steve4102

Jacketed vs Plated vs Lead

OK, short and sweet, what is the point of loading plated bullets?

Of course lead is the best buy in bullets and even better if you cast them yourself. But, some indoor ranges do not allow lead bullets, so it's jacketed or plated. What I can't get my head around is, why plated? To be more specific, why would I pay more $$ for plated when I can purchase real jacketed bullets for equal or less $$? They seem like a solution to a nonexistent problem.
steve4102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:31   #2
hounds2

plated bullets are cleaner. indoor ranges like them. when reloading, they are cleaner too... lead in my blood is high and its because i am not a carefull reloader. it is something that is easily overlooked but should be paid attention to. i can buy precision delta fmj for the same price as berrys and they shoot better. but, the open base makes handling them more problematic with lead exposure. you have to be sure to wash up thouroghly after reloading. not so with plated. plated bullets dont like to be pushed either. anyting over about 900 fps will not work for my guns. good luck
hounds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:33   #3
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Well, for one, most FMJ have an exposed lead base. Plated bullets are completely encapsulated. In some calibers and bullet styles, plated bullets are much easier to find, and I'm sure in some instances, cheaper... (.380 comes to mind)...
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:27   #4
at_liberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hounds2 View Post
plated bullets are cleaner. indoor ranges like them. when reloading, they are cleaner too... lead in my blood is high and its because i am not a carefull reloader. it is something that is easily overlooked but should be paid attention to. i can buy precision delta fmj for the same price as berrys and they shoot better. but, the open base makes handling them more problematic with lead exposure. you have to be sure to wash up thouroghly after reloading. not so with plated. plated bullets dont like to be pushed either. anyting over about 900 fps will not work for my guns. good luck
I am taking that 900 fps as relative to a specific caliber and gun, not an absolute barrier.
at_liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:29   #5
PCJim

As already said....

Another option is to purchase bullets in the JHP design. The manufacturing technique of JHPs is the reverse of FMJs. Instead of the exposed lead base of an FMJ, you have a partially exposed HP in the JHP (plus a better defense round should someone approach you at a bubba range).
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:36   #6
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

Plated bullets historically have been cheaper than jacketed. Recently prices went all over the place during the demand spike and the volatile lead market. They are starting to decrease back to where they were a few years ago. I use plated both in my commercial ammo and in personal ammo. I only use jacketed bullets for defense loads.

There are some bullet manufacturers that sell jacketed bullets for cheaper than the rest of the crowd. One that comes to mind is Montana Gold, which uses the cheaper brass jacket rather than copper/gilding metal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
freakshow10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:22   #7
ron59
Bustin Caps

As Freak mentioned... Montana gold sells CMJ bullets, which means COMPLETE metal jacket, the base is not exposed and it is not plated but jacketed.

I love their 147gr 9mm, about the same price as PD I think as MG's prices include shipping (and assuming you're buying a large order, such as 3000 147grainers).

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote