SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:56   #1
repoman1984
under the pully

recruiter says: " I cant offer you anything specific"

I'm on the phone with the air force recruiter and he seems like a strait shooter and a nice person but he tells me even with my score he cannot guarantee or even promise me an MOS. I'm really not opposed to half the jobs in air force but hate the idea I'm sworn and then given my options. Is this current policy?
repoman1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:41   #2
n8up

You won't find out what MOS's are available or what you qualify for until you get to MEPS and talk to a job counselor (can't remember their exact title) down there. The recruiter's job is to find you, make sure you're qualified and get you down there. MEPS is the place for the MOS search.
n8up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:57   #3
Hackett

Send a message via AIM to Hackett
n&up hit the nail on the heard, and you def don't want to get Job-Locked and find it not available once you hit MEPs.

Also, you are legally bound until MEPs, after you pick your rate/MOS.

I'm currently working with a Navy recruiter to get to weight and join, and aced my ASVABs and am scheduled to take the DLABs at MEPs before I pic a rate. So I hope we both get one we really enjoy! (I'm hoping for Mil. Intel. but wouldn't mind quartermaster either, let alone NUK and the other science fields!)
Beretta Club Member #1, Tactical Shotgun Club #1884,
1911 Owners Group #1884 (pending), Sig Club #1884, Florida Glocker #1884, 21 Club #1884, GTDS Life Member
Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 13:22   #4
repoman1984
under the pully

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
n&up hit the nail on the heard, and you def don't want to get Job-Locked and find it not available once you hit MEPs.

Also, you are legally bound until MEPs, after you pick your rate/MOS.

I'm currently working with a Navy recruiter to get to weight and join, and aced my ASVABs and am scheduled to take the DLABs at MEPs before I pic a rate. So I hope we both get one we really enjoy! (I'm hoping for Mil. Intel. but wouldn't mind quartermaster either, let alone NUK and the other science fields!)
I just don't want to sign my name on the dotted line and then they say whoops no Intel, no SF. I really would be happy doing half the jobs in the air-force the issue is I hate signing a blind contract. Congrats on the asvab score what did you get? I got a 96.
Old 08-13-2010, 13:49   #5
Hoser
Mall Ninja

Get/find a different recruiter.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 20:55   #6
REACT

I retire from the Air Force at the end of this year after 20 incredible years. It was an amazing adventure and now itís time for me to start down another path just like I did 20 years ago.

I had originally wanted to work in AWACS for some damn reason. I canít tell you why now. Needless to say, it didnít work out that way. I ended up in a very different career field (doesnít matter what I...did) and I do not regret a single day. I have made some lifelong friends and I am a better person for everything that I have experienced.

This is a new beginning for you. You can either accept the job you are given or be upset when you donít get the exact job that you hoped for. With your ASVAB scores, you should be OK no matter where you end up. If nothing else, you can cross-train later.

Best of luck to you. Enjoy the ride.
Old 08-13-2010, 21:09   #7
Brigrat

Send a message via Yahoo to Brigrat
off topic, but trust me...go navy...go nuke...be happy...I didn't and will spend the rest of my life wishing I did...navy nukes have a job waiting for them in the civilian nuclear power sector, have great respect in the industry, and get training that will last a lifetime...do it...trust this former Jar Head...
Old 08-13-2010, 21:18   #8
Glocks&Ducs

I'm not 100% sure how it works in the Air Force, but I was a recruiter in the Marine Corps. When we had people above a certain ASVAB score, we could offer them what was called the Quality Enlistment Program. Sometimes they rated a bonus or accelerated promotion up to E-3. It also allowed them to select three MOS choices within a field. So I don't think it out of line for a recruiter to claim he can't guarantee you an MOS. With that being said, there are a few MOSs that have to be filled with certain qualified people, and those can be guaranteed at the time of enlistment. But those are far and few in between.

In essence, we could guarantee the field, but not the specific MOS. For instance, when I joined the Marine Corps, I was guaranteed Aviation Maintenance. My MOS choices were jet plane mechanic, helicopter mechanic, and avionics technician in that order. I wound up being a helicopter mechanic. While I would have preferred to work on jets, there was nothing I could be because I was still within my promised field.

So, at least in the Marine Corps, we couldn't guarantee an MOS, except in very limited cases. I know you are talking about the Air Force, but that should help you to ask the right questions the next time you talk to the recruiter.
Glocks&Ducs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 21:23   #9
Glocks&Ducs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigrat View Post
off topic, but trust me...go navy...go nuke...be happy...I didn't and will spend the rest of my life wishing I did...navy nukes have a job waiting for them in the civilian nuclear power sector, have great respect in the industry, and get training that will last a lifetime...do it...trust this former Jar Head...
I am currently training to work in the nuclear industry. And believe it or not, Navy nuke guys are not as well respected as you would think. While there are certain niches they can fill in the nuke industry, their Navy Experience is not necessarily an automatic in.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:52   #10
bluelineman
Infidel كافر

When I joined up in 1989, you could only get a guaranteed category, as stated above. I went in Open General & got lucky. At that time, that's all they would guarantee. Sounds like it's basically the same. I believe they do this so they can get the best match for you & your job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"Why is it that on June 4th 1967 I was a Jordanian and overnight I became a Palestinian?" - Walid Shoebat, former PLO Terrorist
كافر Infidel لقد كان محمد شاذ جنسيا
bluelineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 16:51   #11
repoman1984
under the pully

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
When I joined up in 1989, you could only get a guaranteed category, as stated above. I went in Open General & got lucky. At that time, that's all they would guarantee. Sounds like it's basically the same. I believe they do this so they can get the best match for you & your job.
What MOS did you get?
Old 08-14-2010, 18:22   #12
crazyasian1

Screw that, he's only worried about his bottom line, he gets you to sign up, he hits his quota and then he's done with you. You can come in with a guaranteed job (aka, Air Force Specialty Code - AFSC) depending on your time line. The AF is drawing down right now so the liars in the recruiting office can afford to be picky. But if you can afford to hold out, get a GUARANTEED job IN WRITING, and then go delayed enlistment program. That's when you enlist, but wait for your job to open up, when it does, you go to MEPS, BMT and all that good stuff. I enlisted in March, guaranteed Security Police (way back then), went to MEPS in July when they had a slot for me.

Last edited by crazyasian1; 08-14-2010 at 18:23..
crazyasian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 21:07   #13
bluelineman
Infidel كافر

Quote:
Originally Posted by repoman1984 View Post
What MOS did you get?
AFSC 913X0 (physical therapy), later when they changed the numbers around it became 4J0X2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"Why is it that on June 4th 1967 I was a Jordanian and overnight I became a Palestinian?" - Walid Shoebat, former PLO Terrorist
كافر Infidel لقد كان محمد شاذ جنسيا
bluelineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 21:15   #14
Glocks&Ducs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyasian1 View Post
Screw that, he's only worried about his bottom line, he gets you to sign up, he hits his quota and then he's done with you. You can come in with a guaranteed job (aka, Air Force Specialty Code - AFSC) depending on your time line. The AF is drawing down right now so the liars in the recruiting office can afford to be picky. But if you can afford to hold out, get a GUARANTEED job IN WRITING, and then go delayed enlistment program. That's when you enlist, but wait for your job to open up, when it does, you go to MEPS, BMT and all that good stuff. I enlisted in March, guaranteed Security Police (way back then), went to MEPS in July when they had a slot for me.
I think you are giving bum scoop, and your obvious bias for what recruiters actually do discredits the point you are trying to get across.

First off, nobody enlists, and then goes to MEPS. You have to pass MEPS screening prior to enlisting. No recruiting commander is going to hold a job spot for someone, especially months in advance, only to have them fail out of MEPS screening. That is counterintuitive. Also, the guaranteed job you got is one of the few that can be guaranteed. I mentioned it before, recruiters can normally only guarantee a field, not a specific job, and that is based on the applicants scores as well their moral character, and also job availability with the branch of service.

Even the Air Force website states, under every description of their job specialties, "All Air Force career fields are based on qualifications and job availability."

One other thing to keep in mind, is that just because you appear to have "aced" the ASVAB, does not mean you have the individual scores to get whatever job you want. The AFQT is only one indicator of how you scored on the ASVAB. That is the number that goes up to 99. A recruiter also has to consider how the applicant scored on the breakdowns for a specific field. The ASVAB is broken down into several sections, mechanical, clerical, electrical, and general. You can have a very lopsided score and still get a high AFQT. The score can be so lopsided, that you can actually be disqualified from enlisting.
Old 08-14-2010, 21:24   #15
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

My grandson just finished a hitch in the Air Force. He wanted to do something challenging in the Force.

He took the "test" and after that, he had his choice of almost anything. He chose Language (something). He spent most of his term in the language school in Monterey, CA., learning Arabic and Persian languages and dialects.

He had to show his "credentials" before being promised anything. This is just the way it is. If you test well, you will be accommodated. Good Luck.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 21:27   #16
Brigrat

Send a message via Yahoo to Brigrat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocks&Ducs View Post
I am currently training to work in the nuclear industry. And believe it or not, Navy nuke guys are not as well respected as you would think. While there are certain niches they can fill in the nuke industry, their Navy Experience is not necessarily an automatic in.
I have worked in the nuclear for a decade as a non-navy-nuke and can tell you first hand that while being a navy nuke is not a guarantee it is the next best thing, and certainly the best option if you plan to go in to the military any way. I am not saying that navy nuke is better than an engineering degree, but it is the best non-degree opetion there is. I went in the marines for four years, I would have been much better off going navy nuke. I am currently a Qualtiy Engineer in the nuclear world and would give anything to go back and go navy nuke instead of marine MP if I had the chance.
Old 08-14-2010, 21:43   #17
repoman1984
under the pully

my scores (open to see a better pic):The US Air Force Forum

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now my understanding is these numbers (air force) are based on fractions of 100 and M A G E represents the appropriate field, considering I have a G score of 99 I was hoping the recruiter was going to say "get your fat rear in shape for my air force cause your going into intel" or SF.
Old 08-15-2010, 00:08   #18
SchlaffTablett

Ok so here's how this works. You've taken a base line ASVAB probably at school or the recruiters office or where ever. That tells the recruiter if it's even worth it to pursue you or not. You've obviously gotten that far. Next step is to go to MEPS. When you get there, you may have to take the ASVAB again (which will be the official one), get your physical, fill out a bunch of papers, and speak with a career counselor/contracting person. When you speak with that person, you tell them what you want and they will look it up to see if your scores from your most recent ASVAB qualify you and wither or not there's a slot open in that AFSC. if so, they will assign you to it. At worst, what will happen is that they don't have any slots in your chosen career field(s) at which point you can either

A. Go in open general and roll the dice or
B. Tell them to FOAD till they can get you the job you want.

Understand that you are NOT committed until you sign that contract and that when you do it IS binding so make sure that whatever it says is correct. Don't be an asshat about it but don't let them rush you either and if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask them. Based on what you've said, you're looking for intel or SF, well PJ/CCT. Here's the deal with that... Intel is whatever but you need to keep in mind that PJ/CCT has a HUGE washout rate and if you sign up for PJ/CCT and wash out you will be assigned to whatever they have open from mechanic to basketball hander-outer. What used to happen (and you may want to verify with your recruiter) is that EVERYONE gets to try for PJ/CCT in basic. So sign up for whatever you want, then just try out when you get there. Worst case there is you dont' pass and continue on to whatever you were going to do anyway. One thing I'd like to pass on from a personal standpoint; remember after you're in and something happens to piss you off or whatever YOU SIGNED ON THE LINE. Especially if you are able to get exactly what you want you have no justification to *****.

If you haven't already, you will find that a lot of people will try and steer you into whatever job they were in (nukes etc) but ultimately you need to decide what YOU want to do and go for it. Now, with that said, I don't know what you want to do in the AF but I can tell you from 16 years experience that one of the best jobs, not just in the AF but period, is fire fighter. Believe me, it's a hard school and can be challenging career-wise, but man are the bennies great. PM if you'd like to know more about that one. Also, there are some jobs too that most people just never hear about. One of those is Tac-P. My best friend does it and if you're looking for something HSLD that doesn't require 2-3 years in tech schools with a much higher pass rate it's a pretty good choice as well. For both of those you need to be in good shape and willing to eat S__t every now and again but both are fantastic gigs. PM if you want to know more but if I don't hear back from you, good luck. You will not regret it.

Last edited by SchlaffTablett; 08-15-2010 at 00:18..
SchlaffTablett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:19   #19
Glocks&Ducs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigrat View Post
....and certainly the best option if you plan to go in to the military any way....
I think this is a far stretch of a statement to make, and simply your opinion because you are in the nuclear industry now. First off, more times than not, nuclear option in the Navy is going to see your butt on a submarine. I am going to go out on a limb, and say that few people actually consider sub duty a great option in the military.

The nuclear option in the Navy may be better than many other rates, or MOSs, such as MP, but I would hardly call it the best option. Some people join the military to be grunts, because that is what they want to be. For them, that is the best option.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:59   #20

Whine, whine whine. I know things have changed but come on.

When I joined the USMC the only thing I was promised was to learn how to run up and down hills and yell Gung Ho. They kept that promise. Everything after that was an adventure, sometimes pretty nice, sometimes very scary.
2952 is offline   Reply With Quote