Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:13   #1
GJ1981
Pitying Fools

1911 Pinned Grip Safeties

Mas,

I am wondering if you have seen any cases with a 1911 that had its grip safety pinned in a SD scenario? I am wondering about the legal aftermath side.

I find that I am most comfortable with a 1911 but under high-speed draws I sometimes go for too high of a grip/etc and fail to fully activate the GS. Both of my carry 1911's have the larger memory pads. I am always training to fix my mistakes but I always think about what-ifs.

I have given some serious thought to the "Answer" Package that Wayne Novak is offering, which eliminates the GS. I spoke with one of his builders and he did make a few good points, most importantly was as soon as standard 1911 is held the GS is/should be disengaged so having it pinned just takes operator error out.

I have read arguments where people tried to make it seem like ND's were more possible while re-holstering with pinned GS's, but again, the GS would be disabled with grip pressure on a normal pistol and any ND would have be the result of other factors.

Thanks
GJ1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:28   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

I'd be more inclined to build up the back of the grip safety a little more, myself.

Personally, when I holster i do so with the thumb on the hammer. This allows the thumb to hold the hammer back if the thumb safety has been missed and something interdicts the trigger. It also pulls the web of the hand away from the grip safety, activating it and making it pretty much impossible for the gun to discharge in the holster even if pressure is applied to the trigger.

I haven't personally done a case in which the defendant's grip safety had been deactivated. I have, however, been involved in one case where the prosecutor hammered on the theme, "the defendant was so reckless he deactivated the safety device on a lethal weapon!" That's a powerful argument with a lay jury, and one I'd really rather not have come up if I was the defendant.

You might also try shooting with your firing thumb a little lower. It tends to pull the web of the hand tighter into the grip safety and operate it more effectively.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote