SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 07:12   #1
Glocking J

Magsafe ammo analysis and opinion

I would really like to get some input on Magsafe's .40cal 84gr. ammo for my G22 from you guys. I've read their promotional info and wanted to know if anyone out here has experience with it. Thanks as always.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:17   #2
Jim S.

I tried it in 38spl and 45acp when it first came out.
It has been found to be a poor penetrating round and layers of clothing compound this situation.
It may have it's place but I would not count on it to save my life.
There are many good quality modern hollow points out there that will out perform these types of rounds by far.
Old 08-15-2010, 18:16   #3
HGxyz

In the famous goat tests years ago, MagSafe out performed everything.

Whether that means anything or not, can you afford to practice frequently with this ammo, maintain familiarity with how it shoots, and be certain it is reliable in your gun (the recoil from this stuff is pretty low)?
Old 08-16-2010, 00:03   #4
Guntrainer

According to the Intl' Wound Ballistics Association, pre fragmented bullets exhibit insufficient penetration.

Stay with standard weights, standard brands. 165-180 gr bullets in the 40 work well.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:35   #5
Glocking J

Thnaks for your feedback guys. At this point, the penetration issue clearly determines the need for standard weights in my mind. Back to Speer Gold Dot hollow points in 165gr. weight for me. Again, I appreciate your feedback and thanks for the time--it's why this site is so helpful!
Old 08-16-2010, 07:55   #6
Adam5

The only .40 round that I carry is the 180gr Federal HST. One of the guys on my local forum did some expansion and penetration tests and they performed the best out of what he tested.

Let me see if I can find a link for you.

WWW.GEORGIACARRY.ORG Member
WWW.GEORGIAPACKING.ORG
Old 08-16-2010, 08:00   #7
Adam5

I found a link to one of his tests. It has links to his others.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/...p?f=34&t=31709

WWW.GEORGIACARRY.ORG Member
WWW.GEORGIAPACKING.ORG
Old 08-30-2010, 20:46   #8
Deputydave

Joe Zambone invented the Magsafe line more than a couple of decades ago. Joe passed away in a motorcycle accident, I believe in Australia after he sold the company. I talked with Joe several times on the phone and he sent me a video of his ammo testing that I still have now 15 years later.

Here is what I can offer...

The magsafe is not what you would call a good 'general purpose' round. By this I mean that it isn't a good round for L.E. where you may have to shoot through auto glass and such.

However...

The demonstration video, which featured cor-bon, hydro-shok and a bunch of other rounds was quite interesting in some regards:

1. I'm not sure why the issue of penetration is brought up in some of the reviews in that each magsafe round did normally penetrate 10-13 inches in gelatin. And in the video he was shooting through quite a variety of obstructions such as t-shirt, jeans, beef ribs, shoes, credit cards, wood blocks and sometimes a bunch of different things combined. The magsafe did blow through all of this and still do what it is advertised to do in the gelatin.

2. Here is the caveat though, the first 3-6 inches of the gelatin was pulped. The remainder were very small, thin lines where the pellets finally came to rest. Would those pellets cause enough trauma to put someone down in a hurry, in and of themselves? I personall don't think so. However, as I mentioned, the entry wound for several inches was pulped and large. For example;

Joe shot through a a bunch of rolled up clothing in front of a 1 inch strip of gel which was in front of a package of beef ribs in front of a couple of blocks of gel. So it was heavy clothing + 1 inch of gel + beef ribs + gel blocks. This was to simulate heavy clothing and then flesh over ribs. The round (I think 9mm) blew through the clothing and 1 inch gel, blew a hole through the ribs and had and entry wound in the gel large enough to stick his thumb in for the length of his thumb. The little pellets went their way to 10-13 inches but what was impressive was the size of the hole in the ribs and first block of gel. Translate this to a person and it would be one bloody mess in someones chest. So they will go through ribs.

Now, suppose a limb is across the chest (which happens often). That kind of a wound translated to a limb would be pretty damn nasty. I would wonder if the limb would be usable after a solid hit (at least right then and there). I'm not saying it would blow a limb off. But then...I don't know. Looking at what it did to ribs and gel after heavy clothing was pretty impressive. I would 'suggest' that the limb may be at least temporarily unusable. Would it continue on to the torso? Maybe, at least shallow perhaps.

Would this 'stop' an attacker? Well, nothing is a certainty with any round. Would having a heavily damaged limb with profuse bleeding stop someone from continuing an attack? Would a large, nasty, sucking chest wound stop someone from continuing an attack? The answer with this or any other round is maybe...maybe not. I can tell you though that normal, conventional rounds from handguns don't nornally make large entry wounds.

3. The magsafe, at least from the video was unaffected by clothing. And I mean A LOT of clothing. At one point he was putting carpeting and rubber soled shoes in front of the gel. It blew through all of it.

4. I don't think I'd use it in a semi, simply because it would cost a small fortune to run enough through to make sure it cycles your gun properly. I did shoot a fair amount years ago in a G19 without a problem for our agency in some tests. In a revolver...no problem.

5. Recoil is nothing since the rounds are so light for the caliber. The boom is magnum sized though. Kinda odd really, big boom and hardly any recoil.

Now I'm not a magsafe spokesman. I'm not saying you should run out and grab a pack of 8 for $20+. But I have talked with the inventor of the round personally (around the early 90's). I did see side-by-side comparisions against other popular rounds and the magsafe simply beat them in terms of not being affected by heavy clothing, bone etc. I don't think the little pellets would cause all that much damage, But I do think an entry would that you can stick your thumb into all the way to the second knuckle might go a long way towards ruining someone's day. Is it a magic bullet or the ultimate round? No. Is it a good target round? No. But say out of a snubby at normal combat distance it 'may' be just as good or better than a HP. The only thing I'd be concerned about is shooting through auto glass. But in normal CCW/off-duty situations that just isn't a big concern. Someone coming at you person-to-person is a concern.

Just thought I'd toss this out there for consideration.

Last edited by Deputydave; 08-30-2010 at 20:54..
Old 08-30-2010, 20:57   #9
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

cant afford enough of it to function for reliablity tests in my guns.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
Old 08-30-2010, 21:37   #10
Deputydave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
cant afford enough of it to function for reliablity tests in my guns.
That is a major concern. If the gun doesn't function reliably then all other considerations are moot. That's why I would use it in a revolver over a semi-auto.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:30   #11
fuzzy03cls

I have 60 or so rounds of it. It is HOT. Very heavy recoil compared to any other .40 I have shot.
Does it work. IDK. I bought them to try. They blew a hole through a leather jacket over a card board target, but then I read so many mixed reviews, & people in the ammo world saying these are a waste. So I'm just not comfortable. Then I saw the FBI tests for the bonded 180gr they use. I load up with that.
Closed Thread