Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:15   #1
Kwesi

How to adjust a JHP recipe for FMJ's?

I'm loading 9 & 10mm + 45 acp. Is there a safe standard, when the published recipe is for JHP's when I have FMJ's with same grain projectiles?

What if the weights are different :
124 JHP vs 115 FMJ
165 JHP vs 180 FMJ

Thanks!
Kwesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:42   #2
Daryl in Az
Enjoying life!

The "standard" is to back off 10% from max load for the listed bullet when you change any other component, and then work back up. There is no standard or formula to figure for a lighter weight bullet, or differences in seating depth from a different type of bullet. There are just too many variables to deal with in reloading for that to happen.

When you change bullets, and especially when you change bullet weights, you need to find new data.

Sometimes, depeding on the cartridge, chamber, and powder being used, you can compensate for slight variations in bullet lengths by adjusting the seating depth. This is not always the case, however, and you need to know exactly what you're doing if you try it.

It's easier and safer to find data for the correct, or at least a very similar bullet.

Daryl

Molon Labe!
Daryl in Az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 13:08   #3
FLSlim

In general, I agree with D in AZ. If you change weights in you jacketed bullets, go back to the drawing board (i.e., load manuals) for start loads and work from there. When I go between jacketed HP and FMJ in the same weight I don't alter the powder charge unless it is near max. Even then I'm not sure it is a problem, but it would seem prudent to back down a few tenths and test a few rounds. A bigger issue might be OAL, as the same brand of JHP and FMP can seat at significantly different depths if your dies aren't readjusted. Keep one or more manuals handy; they are essential to safe handloading.
FLSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 13:10   #4
fredj338

When it comes to JHP vs FMJ, it's bearing length & OAL. Typically, the JHP will seat slightly deeper & have a slightly longer bearing surface. Seating to a longer OAL reduces pressures. Obviously reducing by 10% & working the load back up is prudent, particularly if you are already pushing max. If you are shooting midrange loads, there won't be much diff in pressures swapping any component out, within reason.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 20:56   #5
Kwesi

Thanks! I've run into this situration several times and was not able to find the FMJ recipe.
Kwesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:35   #6
W4CNG

Send a message via AIM to W4CNG
I have several of the One Caliber Books that I have purchased in the last several years. They have lots of bullet weights and types including FMJ. SWC, JHP's. They also have many types of powder's for each bullet. A lot of the Hard backed books do not have this level of detail. It has helped me gin up favorite loads all of which go onto my master Excel Spreadsheet for tracking. Good Luck with your reloading.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
W4CNG is offline   Reply With Quote