GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-17-2010, 17:59   #1
FCastle88

Does anybody have any experience with the new Winchester SXP Defender?

I've been looking for a used 1300 Defender since they were discontinued without luck, and I saw an SXP Defender at a show about a month ago, but I can't find much info about it. I prefer the balance of the 5 shot Mossberg 500 to that of the 7 shot model, and the new SXP has the shorter 5 shot mag so I'm guessing I would like the balance more than that of the original 1300 Defender, and it has the original 1300 speed pump design, as well as an Inflex Technology recoil pad. It's $300 for the SXP that already has a recoil reducing stock compared to about $420 for a Mossberg 500 with a Knoxx Spec-ops stock, so does anybody have any experience with the SXP? Also does anyone know if the 1300 Defender accessories will fit the new model?
FCastle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 19:10   #2
DHart

No idea on the SPX. I'm not crazy about the fact that they're made in Turkey. Not saying they aren't a solid gun, I just don't know.

What I do know is that you can find top condition 1300's on Gunbroker. In recent months I have found and bought three for myself and one for a friend - all in like new or close to new condition and all ranging from 299 to 325. Here are two of the three I bought:

Tactical Shotguns

With capacity of 8-shots in a gun with just an 18" barrel, they make a great defense gun. More front heavy than what you mentioned, but I find them to handle great and they are my top choice in bump-in-the-night guns.

These are fine guns... made in the USA. Keep searching Gunbroker... you'll find them. And now that I have the three I want, you won't have me to compete with in bidding!

Last edited by DHart; 08-20-2010 at 19:14..
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:45   #3
vista461

I love my 1300 Defender, the SXP doesn't look like it is related at all to the 1300.
The only thing I don't like is no one seems to carry anything but Rem and Mossy for accessories around here I have been wanting a sidesaddle
On the plus side I did fine a Hogue overmolded stock set in the Cabelas bargin cave for $30

Tactical Shotguns
vista461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:13   #4
mixflip

Thats the down side to going with a gun that is good but not popular. Accessory availability really sucks!!! You have to really be in love with a less popular gun and be ok with its limited aftermarket support before you buy it.

My Benelli suffers from the same issue but there are still more parts available to it than the Winchester.
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 14:33   #5
DHart

Jamie... with internet shopping you will find pretty much anything your heart desires for the Winchester 1300... if you really want to add a bunch of stuff to your gun (which I don't feel it needs, personally.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
Thats the down side to going with a gun that is good but not popular. Accessory availability really sucks!!! You have to really be in love with a less popular gun and be ok with its limited aftermarket support before you buy it.

My Benelli suffers from the same issue but there are still more parts available to it than the Winchester.
MixFlip... actually, this is wrong information when it comes to the Winchester 1300's. What can't you get for the 1300 that you really need? Just do a quick internet search and you will find pretty much any accessory for the 1300 that you want... including side saddles.

Thing is, just because you can buy a lot of stuff to hang on a shotgun doesn't necessarily mean that they will be real "improvements" to the utility of the gun. Some of the stuff that people pile on their shotguns actually make the guns handle poorly and reduce the fast use-ability of the weapon. Many shotgun fighting experts prefer their fighting guns without a lot of stuff on them. Personally, I wouldn't have a side saddle on my shotguns, but to each his own. For civilian home defense use, I feel that the 8-shots on tap are plenty for my needs. I'm not going to war in Afghanistan with my shotguns and don't feel the need to prepare for that either.

There are all the accessories I would ever want for the 1300 available, like lights, reduced LOP stocks (Hogue, Speedfeed), Speedfeed Birdshead grip, plenty of accessory brackets, night sights, side saddles, slings, recoil pads, and rails galore! There are more accessories you can put on a 1300 than I would ever want. And just because you don't find them on the shelf at your local Wal-Mart or gunshop doesn't mean that you can't easily get what you need.

So, what do you need on a 1300 that you can't get?

These two Defenders of mine are complete as they appear here. My Mossberg 500, 590, and Remington 870Police are all set-up similarly, simple, lean, quick & easy to handle. But these two Defenders are my "go-to" guns should trouble arise.

You do your part well and these guns will get the job done very well indeed.

Tactical Shotguns

Last edited by DHart; 08-21-2010 at 15:15..
Old 08-21-2010, 17:26   #6
mixflip

I agree, adding a bunch of accessories to the basic pump shotgun platform isnt really needed and often takes away from its true purpose as far as a home defense shotgun.

I probably spoke to soon when I mentioned the lack of easily available parts and accessories for the Winchester 1300 since I dont own one but my comment was more aimed at any shotgun that isnt as popular as the shotguns available at WalMart and Big 5 ect ect.

The internet does make it easy to get anything you need for the Winchester.
Old 08-21-2010, 17:34   #7
DHart

mixflip.... you and I are on the same page, my friend. And you are a gracious gentleman.
Old 08-21-2010, 20:37   #8
GlockPride
Glock 23

I have one 1300 and three 870's...if that tells you anything.
Eph6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.13Therefore put on the full armor of God
GlockPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 20:50   #9
DHart

Funny... I have three 1300's and one 870P if that tells you anything. I do plan to get another 870P as well. They're both great guns, but the Defender has the advantage of a one-piece mag tube which runs the full length of the 18" barrel, giving a 7+1=8 capacity. No need for extensions or brackets. Real quick take down and reassembly for cleaning as well. The 870 has to use an extension to get 6+1=7. I much prefer the one-piece mag tube to a tube with an extension tacked on. But that doesn't keep me from appreciating the 870P or the 500 and 590. They're all great guns, each for their own unique reasons.

Last edited by DHart; 08-21-2010 at 20:52..
Old 08-22-2010, 01:56   #10
mixflip

Good point on the mag tube. Extensions can be a weak point on some shotguns. I have seen a video of an extension breaking off under normal conditions. You can jab someone in the face with the muzzle end of a 590 and 1300 and the only thing breaking will be the face. If you really had to that is? Butt-stroke is always the preferred melee technique lol.

Last edited by mixflip; 08-22-2010 at 01:56..
Old 08-22-2010, 02:33   #11
FCastle88

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
No idea on the SPX. I'm not crazy about the fact that they're made in Turkey. Not saying they aren't a solid gun, I just don't know.

What I do know is that you can find top condition 1300's on Gunbroker. In recent months I have found and bought three for myself and one for a friend - all in like new or close to new condition and all ranging from 299 to 325. Here are two of the three I bought:

Tactical Shotguns

With capacity of 8-shots in a gun with just an 18" barrel, they make a great defense gun. More front heavy than what you mentioned, but I find them to handle great and they are my top choice in bump-in-the-night guns.

These are fine guns... made in the USA. Keep searching Gunbroker... you'll find them. And now that I have the three I want, you won't have me to compete with in bidding!
I've been checking gunbroker every once in a while, but most of the 1300's I found in near new condition were going for $400 and up, the SXP I saw looked to be decent quality, the action wasn't loose like a Mossberg and the finish was nicer than the 870 Express, I'm not even considering getting an 870 because Remington should be ashamed to put that finish on their guns.

I'm looking for a cheap shotgun to keep around for home defense/SHTF, and like I said the SXP comes with a recoil reducing stock, I'd have to pay another $130 for a Spec-Ops stock to put on a 1300 or Mossberg 500, plus the SXP felt lighter and better balanced than the 1300. As for accessories, I was mostly interested in whether or not the Spec-Ops stock for the 1300 would fit the SXP in case I don't like the stock it comes with.

Pretty much all I can find on the SXP is it was supposed to be available in 2008 or 2009 but it was delayed, supposedly due to quality control or other manufacturing issues. The fact that it's now made in Turkey doesn't really bother me, I've never really understood what's supposed to be so great about being made in the US, it seems every time foreign manufacturers open plants in the US quality control goes downhill fast.

It will probably be at least a few weeks until I actually purchase a shotgun, so I'll keep an eye on gunbroker for a 1300, but I'm seriously considering biting the bullet on the SXP, because the one I saw seemed to be a pretty nice gun for $300.
FCastle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:51   #12
DHart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
Good point on the mag tube. Extensions can be a weak point on some shotguns. I have seen a video of an extension breaking off under normal conditions. You can jab someone in the face with the muzzle end of a 590 and 1300 and the only thing breaking will be the face. If you really had to that is? Butt-stroke is always the preferred melee technique lol.
Yes. And from time to time you hear of feed jams because the follower somehow gets a little kinked at the junction of the extension and the main tube. Generally, I think the extensions work ok, but given the choice I would always opt for a one-piece mag tube vs. a tack-on extension. On a gun you will rely on for defense of your life, I'm a little leery of extensions. This, again, why I'm such a fan of the 8-shot 1300 Defenders with their one-piece mag tubes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCastle88 View Post
I'm looking for a cheap shotgun to keep around for home defense/SHTF
If you can muster up a little more patience I'm sure you will find nearly-new or very nice condition 1300 Defenders for $300-$325 on Gunbroker. In the past couple of months I found FOUR of them in that price range, bought three for myself and a friend who really liked mine bought the fourth.

(Side Note: the premium priced FN Tactical Police Shotgun is actually a Winchester 1300!)

You can definitely go cheaper than that if you want to by choosing a used Mossberg or Maverick. They're great guns too. And Big5 and other big sporting goods stores often have sales on Mossbergs and Mavericks where you can find a new one for $250-$300.

As for the Turkish made SPX... they may be a good gun, but they just don't look right to me and will never have the appeal for me that the 1300 does. I believe they use the same mechanical design as the 1300, which is good. But for some reason they don't make them with the full-length mag tube, which is a HUGE factor to me in choosing a 1300. 8-shot capacity with a one-piece mag tube and an 18" barrel is a sweet defense set-up!

If you do buy an SPX, please do a thorough review with pics for the rest of us to learn from. I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig myself, though.

Last edited by DHart; 08-22-2010 at 12:53..
Old 08-22-2010, 17:53   #13
rjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Tactical Shotguns
How do you like that birdshead grip? Do you like it more than the short hogue buttstock?
Old 08-22-2010, 18:55   #14
DHart

rjm... I like the birdshead for some limited applications (much better than a pistol grip because the angle is just like the neck of a regular stock). It makes a good truck gun, for example, because you can maneuver the gun easier in tight quarters. It's not good for use at very much distance, though. Generally speaking, the full stock is a better way to go. If I had to choose one or the other it would definitely be the full stock, but I like having the birdshead version around as well. Takes some practice to shoot it well!
Old 08-23-2010, 11:48   #15
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by vista461 View Post
I love my 1300 Defender, the SXP doesn't look like it is related at all to the 1300.

I haven't seen one in person, but I found a quote from a 2008 Field and Stream article that said it was the same design.

http://tamtac.wordpress.com/2010/07/...defender-pump/

Quote:
The 1300 is back, now called the “SXP.” It’s now made in Turkey but it’s the same design although now it comes only in matte black.
From looking at Winchesters web site it looks like it is the same rotary bolt design.
educate children." -- Confucius

Last edited by vafish; 08-23-2010 at 11:49..
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 17:54   #16
0tact

I've got one...

I picked one up a couple of months ago. It does have the same action type as 1300 according to Winchester although I've not directly compared them. The fit and finish is great.

I've only got a little over a hundred shells through it so far and it has been 100%. These have all been slugs, 00, and #4 buck. The recoil pad works very good. At the last range trip a friend brought out his 870 and the recoil shooting the same ammunition was noticeably worse on the 870. I don't know the specifics of the pad on the 870 but it was a wood stock.

All in all it seems like a quality shotgun but of course only time will tell.

For accessories I did add the 1200/1300 side saddle from tacstar and it fit perfect. I also bought their +2 magazine extension but I am not going to use it. It is a good 2 to 3 inches longer than the barrel when installed. Also the mag tube has a plastic plug under the magazine cap held by dimples in the tube kind of like the newer 870s.
0tact is offline   Reply With Quote