SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:37   #1
pascal

Wireless Router to Wireless Access

Hello,
I'd like to see if I understand this idea. I had a functional D-Link Wireless router that barely made it to the laptop, poor signal and dropping connection. I purchased a refurb Linksys N router. Figured it would be good for upgrade eventually and am using the G only.
I was lead to believe that an access point was sort of like a repeater. It would pickup my Linskys on G and retransmit it. This would be good as I can place it in a spot where I can get much better coverage of the downstairs area.
Am I correct in the above description. If not if you don't mind, could you S L O W L Y explain the differences and why not.
Again appreciate your help.
pascal
Old 08-18-2010, 07:54   #2
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

First, how big is this house, an access point shouldn't really be necessary. I have my router/modem in the attic, and use my laptop/netbook in the basement, in the back yard, across the street, etc. There's no reason for a router anywhere in your house, you should be having signal problems. Yeah it may not be 100%, but it should connect w/ plenty of strength for most uses.

What exact model of Linksys router do you have? I've got a WNDR3300, and while I only have G devices, I let it run on G and N, and I never have a problem.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:31   #3
Drjones

Send a message via AIM to Drjones

pascal:

A router is kind of like a traffic cop for your internet connection; it allows devices to connect to your network (get onto your "highway" so to speak") and then routes communication between each device that is connected; ensures that when you type www.google.com into your laptop, that's where it takes you, and when your wife pulls up www.glocktalk.com on her computer, she gets there as well.

SOME routers can be configured as mere wireless access points/repeaters as you desire, but definitely not all. In fact I'd say that from what I've seen, only the more expensive devices can be configured as repeaters/range extenders.

There certainly are dedicated devices that function as range extenders/repeaters but they cost right around $100, so you'd probably be better off just getting a newer better router, as you did.

You can login to your D-Link router via a web interface - do you know how to do that? You probably type 192.168.0.1 into your web browser and it should take you to a login page.

Check the settings & see if you see anything about setting it as a wireless repeater/range extender; I'm sorry to say that you probably won't, unless yours is a really nice router (which it probably isn't since it doesn't seem to throw a very good signal).

Anyway, your best bet is probably to just bust out that Linksys you bought. FWIW, I have been using a refurbished Linksys Wireless N for a few months & it has been perfect. Just got one for my girlfriend too, but so far so good with that one.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:23   #4
Pierre!
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
First, how big is this house, an access point shouldn't really be necessary. I have my router/modem in the attic, and use my laptop/netbook in the basement, in the back yard, across the street, etc. There's no reason for a router anywhere in your house, you should be having signal problems. Yeah it may not be 100%, but it should connect w/ plenty of strength for most uses.

IGF
I would agree with this - in most cases - but I have personal experience to the contrary...

I requested that another consultant I worked with off and on put in a wired drop for the client's wife to access the internet 'just down the hall'. The other consultant sent a worker who took one look, and said "No Way, don't pay the $100 for the wired link, just go wireless!".

That statement screwed me on 2 levels:
#1) The client is a demanding person as is, and the internet *better work flawless for all this $$$ I am plunking down* kinda guy. I KNEW there was a PAIR of HUGE squirrel cage fans between the reasonable location for the wireless router and the 'remote user' - which is why I had requested that they wire the connection... so now the client latches onto the wireless idea...

#2) The ID10T worker did NOT do the site survey, and planted the 'wireless' idea deep in the client... so how much do you suppose it cost to get wireless to *mostly run, most of the time* for this client??? Yah, bout $200 after trying 2 routers and then getting the additional antennas for the router and workstation... and it would still drop from time to time when both the squirrel cage fans lit up as the AC or Heater kicked on!!!

So... not every thing is as it appears to be is the moral of my story. Not meant to poke YOU in the eye, Lord knows I was poked in the eye for bout a year with this client. Ruined our friendship - He thought I screwed it up, but would not listen to me, or my other consultant who also did a site survey with me, laughed, and asked me how I got wireless to work there... (LOL)

That's my story and I am sticking to it! Just don't let this happen to YOU!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Download YOUR copy of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

My Gift to You, AND it's >FREE<
Pierre! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 13:43   #5
pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post

What exact model of Linksys router do you have? I've got a WNDR3300, and while I only have G devices, I let it run on G and N, and I never have a problem.

IGF
Hello IGF,
My router is a Linksys WRT120N. It is located in the farthest upstairs bedroom with concrete floors and connects to the laptop on the opposite end of the downstairs. Every electrical device is between them as well as most of the walls. On the D-link I was getting fair sometimes, but usually poor with drop outs. The Linksys by itself has raised that on "G only" to fair, sometimes good with no drop outs.
I recently put an old box on the TV. About halfway in between, luckily, it is in line with the upstair doorway and I have a long cord on the antenna. Managing 96 to 100% connection for netflix. Since I have the D-link if I could convert it and put it in the same area it should pickup the Linksys and rebroadcast throughout the bottom floor with more power as the distance would be halved. At least that is the hypothosis!
pascal
Old 08-18-2010, 13:49   #6
pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjones View Post
pascal:

A router is kind of like a traffic cop for your internet connection; it allows devices to connect to your network (get onto your "highway" so to speak") and then routes communication between each device that is connected; ensures that when you type www.google.com into your laptop, that's where it takes you, and when your wife pulls up www.glocktalk.com on her computer, she gets there as well.

SOME routers can be configured as mere wireless access points/repeaters as you desire, but definitely not all. In fact I'd say that from what I've seen, only the more expensive devices can be configured as repeaters/range extenders.

There certainly are dedicated devices that function as range extenders/repeaters but they cost right around $100, so you'd probably be better off just getting a newer better router, as you did.

You can login to your D-Link router via a web interface - do you know how to do that? You probably type 192.168.0.1 into your web browser and it should take you to a login page.

Check the settings & see if you see anything about setting it as a wireless repeater/range extender; I'm sorry to say that you probably won't, unless yours is a really nice router (which it probably isn't since it doesn't seem to throw a very good signal).

Anyway, your best bet is probably to just bust out that Linksys you bought. FWIW, I have been using a refurbished Linksys Wireless N for a few months & it has been perfect. Just got one for my girlfriend too, but so far so good with that one.
Howdy Drjones,
Thanks for the response and the advice. I can investigate, didn't know that some routers can and some can't. If it wasn't a company laptop I'd just put an N adapter in it. Was just tinkering in my mind.
pascal
Old 08-18-2010, 13:54   #7
pascal

Hey Pierre!,
I don't know what it is but in my experience its easier to loose friendships over computer advice than if you stole his car. Some people are really self anointed. Thanks for the head's up. I'm running, just wondering if I can get it to run better. Its alive, its alive.........
pascal
Old 08-18-2010, 14:36   #8
JimmyN

Since the router is at one end of the house, and everything that will connect to it is in the opposite direction. a reflector behind the antenna might work well in your situation.

A parabolic shaped reflector would direct most of the signal radiating from the antenna toward the center of the house and other end, since you don't have to worry about 360deg coverage from the router.

I'd try putting some aluminum foil on a piece of cardboard (use stick glue or something), then bending the cardboard into a parabolic shape and sitting it a few inches from the antenna. It should be taller than the antenna, and the distance away will depend on the curvature. Try moving it closer or farther from the antenna to 'focus' it, you should see a change in signal strength at the laptop. Reflectors can make a big difference if you only need to send the signal in one direction.
Old 08-18-2010, 16:00   #9
pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyN View Post
Since the router is at one end of the house, and everything that will connect to it is in the opposite direction. a reflector behind the antenna might work well in your situation.

A parabolic shaped reflector would direct most of the signal radiating from the antenna toward the center of the house and other end, since you don't have to worry about 360deg coverage from the router.

I'd try putting some aluminum foil on a piece of cardboard (use stick glue or something), then bending the cardboard into a parabolic shape and sitting it a few inches from the antenna. It should be taller than the antenna, and the distance away will depend on the curvature. Try moving it closer or farther from the antenna to 'focus' it, you should see a change in signal strength at the laptop. Reflectors can make a big difference if you only need to send the signal in one direction.
Hello JimmyN,
I don't know if it would work with the Linksys. All the antennas are inside.
Thanks for the idea.
pascal
Old 08-18-2010, 16:46   #10
cgwahl
Sheriffs a near

I don't know what your setup is or why you put it where you put it, but couldn't you just move the router?

Beyond that, if it's on the supported list for DD-WRT, I suppose you could try hacking it to increase it's range or turn it into an access point. But I'd do that as a last resort.

Last edited by cgwahl; 08-18-2010 at 16:49..
cgwahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 19:17   #11
pascal

Howdy cgwahl,
As luck and google would have it, I've run across numerous articles and how tos to make my specific D-Link into an access point. Now if I understood half of what they were talking about, I'd be good to go.
Thanks for pitching in!
pascal
Old 08-18-2010, 19:37   #12
srhoades

In order to for it be an access point to act as a repeater so you don't have to run a cable to it, it must support WDS bridging.
srhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:38   #13
pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by srhoades View Post
In order to for it be an access point to act as a repeater so you don't have to run a cable to it, it must support WDS bridging.
Hello srhoades,
I would like to say thanks for the information, if I understood the information. But thanks for the effort.
pascal