Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:05   #1
PBKing

Well I never.

You never hear anyone using other brands bashing Dillon. How come so much hate coming from the blue.
After all they made fine boolits before dillon.
Seriously, I would like a 1050. From my perspective any other dillon model or other brand will meet each and every others needs.
If I go blue does the arrogant attitude come with the warranty?

Lets get along. We need to appreciate and respect the experience behind the handle.
It is a tool, like a hammer. It is more critical to know where to hit than the brand of the hammer.

Last edited by PBKing; 08-21-2010 at 08:28..
PBKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:12   #2
Colorado4Wheel

Not the way I see it at all. A little history is in order.

Hornady has only been making a good press for the last 3 years at the most. Before that it wouldn't even load 9mm ammo reliably. They even had a disclaimer on the LnL website telling people to not modify the wire. So when people claimed the LnL was just as good as the Blue it was a little hard to not say something.

Now things are a little different. Hornady has fixed the press and it does work as advertised. People still remember the past and it's hard for them to let go of the past. Now it's more of a Ford vs Chevy thing. Before they really could only be compared favorable IF you loaded the calibers the LnL liked.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:23   #3
PBKing

[QUOTE=Colorado4Wheel;15844627]Not the way I see it at all. A little history is in order.QUOTE]

Your posts suggest little history?

Funny, your the first to eat feet. I recall you like it non sugar coated.

Last edited by PBKing; 08-21-2010 at 08:24..
Old 08-21-2010, 08:25   #4
George Tucker
George Tucker

The Customer Service at Dillon is unequiled, plus they make a good product, i have used Dillon for 20 yrs, before that i used Star Reloaders, Dillon has always been there when i need them, enough said, and i have been Reloading for 50 yrs, George.

Last edited by George Tucker; 08-21-2010 at 08:27..
George Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:35   #5
AZBru88

I've been loading on Dillon's for years. I have loaded over 55K of 44 mag and 10mm on one press. Close to 100+K on all 4 of my Dillon's. Reliable, I've had 3 minor breakdowns, clips and something else (years ago my old mind can't remember). Called Dillon, no questions ask, parts arrived the next day in 2 cases, one called Friday afternoon, stuff arrived Monday. Again no charge, and no BS.
If you want something that just plain works, Dillon is the answer. Personally I like the 550B better then the others. Easy loading rate at 400+ an hour. Thats drinking my coffee, checking every round. 600 is possible, but I don't like to work that hard any more.

"If I go blue does the arrogant attitude come with the warranty?"

Not sure what you mean. I think most people that own Dillon's love the way they work, and work.
Some people try to save a buck when they buy a progressive press. Many have gone back to Dillon so I'm sure there are some hard feelings involved.
No one needs a Dillon to load on. Just saw a program showing some guy loading rounds over in the sandbox, with a pair of pliers and a hammer on top of a rock!
As to getting along I think this reloading forum is full of free thinking fun people that love to give each other a hard time. Grow a thick skin and join in on the fun!
AZBru88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:42   #6
n2extrm

I never faulted anyone for what they like. I have posted here several times that a LNL is a good choice, and comparable to the 650. I like the 650 more then the LNL. Thats an opinion of taste like vanilla or chocolate. I use a Rock Chucker to load almost all of my rifle stuff. It is good solid press and is easier for me to pull cases and reinsert them there then on the 550 or 650. I prime them all charge off the press etc, so it makes more sense to leave the progressive set up for pistol stuff I need more of. I think we all (for the most part) enjoy ribbing eachother over red and blue.

As for the tool part of it, yes the guy behind the tool is more important then the tool for the most part. But it is easier to drive a 10" spike with a sledge hammer then a 2 ounce tack hammer.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:44   #7
PBKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBru88 View Post
!
Lets be clear. No one is questioning the quality or service of any company. All American manufactures get my money...Dillon being one of the best.
The issue is the bashing down of anything that aint blue. It is not productive.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:50   #8
AZBru88

Lets be clear about what I said!

Quote:
As to getting along I think this reloading forum is full of free thinking fun people that love to give each other a hard time. Grow a thick skin and join in on the fun!
Because we like to give each other grief in a fun way. You take that as bashing! Like I said grow a thick skin and join the fun! Not really hard to understand!
Old 08-21-2010, 08:53   #9
geminicricket
NRA Life member

I'm pretty sure the arrogant attitude comes without the Dillon press.
You don't get the hot chick, either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
geminicricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:00   #10
n2extrm

Quote:
Lets be clear about what I said!

Because we like to give each other grief in a fun way. You take that as bashing! Like I said grow a thick skin and join the fun! Not really hard to understand!

Exactly!

My Dillon has been called boat anchor to smurf poop! I love it! This place is fun and you get good info. Who cares if you think I spent too much for a boat anchor and I don't own a boat.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:00   #11
PBKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminicricket View Post
I'm pretty sure the arrogant attitude comes without the Dillon press.
You don't get the hot chick, either.
Thanks for the heads up...good to know
Old 08-21-2010, 09:01   #12
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Simply put, when people pay more for an item, they want to believe that it is superior in any way. They also like to defend thier position, usually strongly. Same thing with people that drive BMWs, etc.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:03   #13
Bello
America/Italia

i like lee presses classic cast but one day i will buy a dillon to see the hype but i kinda like single stage as of now
Old 08-21-2010, 09:03   #14
PBKing

Oh, I got thick skin. I just dont want to end up ...Just Thick
Old 08-21-2010, 09:13   #15
AZBru88

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBKing View Post
Oh, I got thick skin. I just dont want to end up ...Just Thick
PB for wanting to "get along" you sure make some odd statements! Are you here trolling, or defending some press, or what? I guess I'm not following what you want out of this thread. You started it by saying lets get along. But your first reply bash Colorado4Wheel for giving you what he thinks is the historical reason people like Dillon and not other progressive presses. What are you after? Let us know, maybe we can answer you! Maybe I'm the one that thick?
Old 08-21-2010, 09:52   #16
PBKing

Quote:
PB for wanting to "get along" you sure make some odd statements! Are you here trolling, or defending some press, or what? I guess I'm not following what you want out of this thread. You started it by saying lets get along. But your first reply bash Colorado4Wheel for giving you what he thinks is the historical reason people like Dillon and not other progressive presses. What are you after? Let us know, maybe we can answer you! Maybe I'm the one that thick?
Nothing personal and certainly nothing directed towards you.

After I pushed the Submit Reply button I could hear the sound of blue chips falling off the shoulders of owners nationwide. No offence. Dillon makes some of the best equipment on the planet. Again I am considering 3 dedicated 1050's for our range.
Fact is the 1050's are in stone anyway....why go for anything less than what meets your needs.
I just dont want to turn into a .... Blue Drool Zombie

Last edited by PBKing; 08-21-2010 at 10:02..
Old 08-21-2010, 09:58   #17
AZBru88

Quote:
Nothing personal and certainly nothing directed towards you.

After I pushed the Submit Reply button I could hear the sound of blue chips falling off the shoulders of owners nationwide. No offence. Dillon makes some of the best equipment on the planet. Again I am considering 3 dedicated 1050's for our range.
No offense taken here...just trying to figure out what you want answered. 1050's are great I have a buddy that has 8 of them, loves them. I don't need that kind of speed, plus the 1050's are commercial and don't carry the same warranty.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:12   #18
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

If we couldn't each other over the equipment we use what fun would this place be and what would we talk about, reloading? Hell, you can teach a monkey to load... give him enough time and he'll learn by himself. (I speak from personal experience, and yes, I still have all my fingers... no tail however.)

I started out loading metallic cartridges with the Ideal Lyman tong tool, (which is enjoying retirement on a shelf in the room) and over the years have owned and used every permutation of press ever made; single stage, straight line C & H progressive, Star, Dillon, Hornady LNL, you name it, I've spent money on it. Bottom line, they all do what they're supposed to do... produce ammo. Some faster and easier than others but none produce a superior product over the others.

I replaced my Stars with two Dillons almost 20 years ago and never had a complaint. I added two LNL's over the last year and a half and lo and behold... no complaints. Is one better than the other... no. They're just different. Do I like using one over the other? Yes, I like the LNL but not because they're better machines the ergonomics simply meet my physical limitations better. I still use the Dillons, a lot, I just can't use them as long at each session. Not the machine's fault.

The only comment that I take exception with every once in a while is concerning the Dillon warranty. There is a misconception that because Dillon has an excellent warranty and customer service that there is no way anyone else could meet that bar of excellence. Based on my experience and others who have commented on the subject, Hornady is every bit as good if not getting the slightest nod to being better for the simple fact that they are playing catch-up and trying to build a top notch reputation.

(When I bought my second case feeder there were two small parts missing out of the factory sealed box, maybe $20 or $25 worth of parts. I called them that afternoon and was told they would overnight the parts. The next morning I opened the UPS delivery... they had sent me a complete machine minus the huge feed bowl and tubular bar. How do you ask for more than that? While Dillon offer great service they certainly do not hold a monopoly.)

So, if you buy a press, be it Lee, Dillon, Hornady or whatever and choose to inform us of your purchase please know that you will get ... what else do we have to do?

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:18   #19
shotgunred
reloading nut

Quote:
You never hear anyone using other brands bashing Dillon. How come so much hate coming from the blue.
After all they made fine boolits before dillon.
Not true a lot of people bash Dillon.

I don't bash the lnl and even recommend them as a valid choice.
When it comes to lee on the other hand I will bash away. When they finally make a good progressive press I will admit it. until then I will try to steer people to a better choice. Lee has been in business since 1958. they could build and sell a press that rivals Dillon and lnl if they wanted to!.
Instead they have decided to be the value line. As such they cut corners to be the cheapest. The Lee family apparently doesn't know the difference between cheap and value.

John Lee
Quote:
If you like to own the best, then treat yourself to the Lee Classic Turret. The finest reloading system made.
If or when Lee makes this statement true instead of marketing fluff it will benefit the whole reloading community.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:52   #20
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunred View Post
Not true a lot of people bash Dillon.

I don't bash the lnl and even recommend them as a valid choice.
When it comes to lee on the other hand I will bash away. When they finally make a good progressive press I will admit it. until then I will try to steer people to a better choice. Lee has been in business since 1958. they could build and sell a press that rivals Dillon and lnl if they wanted to!.
Instead they have decided to be the value line. As such they cut corners to be the cheapest. The Lee family apparently doesn't know the difference between cheap and value.

John Lee

If or when Lee makes this statement true instead of marketing fluff it will benefit the whole reloading community.
Ah, managed to get a little stick in on Lee, huh? Go figure. i have yet to get a bad Lee product. Call it budget, call it cheap, whatever. Lee has good customer service, but I have never used it, because my Lee equipment hasnt failed.

Last edited by ilgunguygt; 08-21-2010 at 10:52..
ilgunguygt is offline   Reply With Quote