Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-23-2010, 23:14   #1
NonPCnraRN

Anyone use DT 200 gr WFNGC 40 S&W?

Does anyone have any experience with Double Tap 200 gr WFNGC 40 S&W ammo? I bought a box and the bullet has the largest meplat (.32 inch) of any hardcast FN ammo whether 40 or 45 cal. I figured it could serve as SD ammo for both 2 and 4 legged critters. I prefer penetration over expansion and the large meplat should ensure a large wound cavity. I was just wondering if anyone has any actual experience using this ammo. I will be using it in my G23 and G27 and I choose not to worry about whether a HP will expand or not or whether the target has hide and fur vs a leather jacket and extra clothing layers.
NonPCnraRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:50   #2
Daryl in Az
Enjoying life!

I don't doubt for a second that it'll work fine as a SD load.

I would personally be a bit concerned about shooting lead through my G23 though, since I use the stock barrel.

I like typing with both hands, after all.

Daryl

Molon Labe!
Daryl in Az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 15:26   #3
GunFighter45ACP

+1

Additionally, the DT 200gr WFNGC is more of a hunting/backwoods round. If you're stompin' around the woods more than the concrete, then this would be a good choice for double duty. If not, stick w/heavier JHPs for social work & on the days when you'll be in the woods, pack a mag or 2 of the other stuff & you should be just fine.
Lone Star Glockers #85
GunFighter45ACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 23:17   #4
NonPCnraRN

I was informed by both Buffalo Bore and the owner of Double Tap that hardcast bullets (BHN21) don't cause the problems associated with softer cast target alloy or swaged bullets. I may go to an aftermarket barrel with a match chamber for reloading the brass. It should be noted that BB strongly advises against use of a factory barrel with their +P 40 S&W ammo due to pressure levels in generously sized Glock chambers, not because they are loaded with hardcast bullets. Double Tap said their ammo was ok in Glock barrels.
NonPCnraRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:03   #5
Jr.
CLM Number 280
Charter Lifetime Member

I had no problems using it in my xd40 5"bbl. They hit HARD, the closest your 40 will ever get to a 10mm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 00:50   #6
Ak.Hiker

No problem with function in my Glock 22.
Ak.Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 00:55   #7
NoJoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonPCnraRN View Post
I was informed by both Buffalo Bore and the owner of Double Tap that hardcast bullets (BHN21) don't cause the problems associated with softer cast target alloy or swaged bullets. I may go to an aftermarket barrel with a match chamber for reloading the brass. It should be noted that BB strongly advises against use of a factory barrel with their +P 40 S&W ammo due to pressure levels in generously sized Glock chambers, not because they are loaded with hardcast bullets. Double Tap said their ammo was ok in Glock barrels.
I need to know how much pressure +P.40 is. Did BB strengthen the case? If it is +P, that pressure has to be over 40,000psi-wow.