GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 18:19   #1
thegriz18
Paper Killer
 
thegriz18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Friend Zone
Posts: 3,188
Buffalo Bore Ammo

Does the Buffalo Bore ammo really get up to the muzzle velocity advertised? Looks kind of suspect. Especially since they list their 40 loads as +P when there is no such thing.
__________________
‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’
— Richard Henry Lee, 1787
thegriz18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 19:19   #2
Trigger Finger
Senior Member
 
Trigger Finger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,252
I read that they perform as advertised. Some magazine tested several calibers and found them very close. I don't understand when you say there is no such thing as 40 caliber +P!!

If they load this about 10% higher pressure than the SAAMI standard for this round IMHO that would make it a +P, just like 9mm. The fact that SAAMI does not recognize 40 +P and very few, if any, other ammo companies load the 40 to this level does not change the fact that BB loads it to +P standards, and the velocity says that they do.
__________________
Land of the Free Because of the Brave!
It is easier to be critical than correct and most people tend to take the easy way!



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Trigger Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 19:24   #3
cowboy1964
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 15,440
If you're going to chance .40+P why not just get a 10mm and be able to shoot everything from weak .40 to full power 10mm?
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 19:48   #4
thegriz18
Paper Killer
 
thegriz18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Friend Zone
Posts: 3,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger Finger View Post
I read that they perform as advertised. Some magazine tested several calibers and found them very close. I don't understand when you say there is no such thing as 40 caliber +P!!

If they load this about 10% higher pressure than the SAAMI standard for this round IMHO that would make it a +P, just like 9mm. The fact that SAAMI does not recognize 40 +P and very few, if any, other ammo companies load the 40 to this level does not change the fact that BB loads it to +P standards, and the velocity says that they do.
I don't think their pressure exceeds SAAMI standards for the 40. That is why I say it doesn't exist.
__________________
‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’
— Richard Henry Lee, 1787
thegriz18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 19:49   #5
thegriz18
Paper Killer
 
thegriz18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Friend Zone
Posts: 3,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
If you're going to chance .40+P why not just get a 10mm and be able to shoot everything from weak .40 to full power 10mm?
I've thought about it. If they only made a 10mm Glock around the same size as the G19/23.
__________________
‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’
— Richard Henry Lee, 1787
thegriz18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 23:35   #6
Trigger Finger
Senior Member
 
Trigger Finger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
If you're going to chance .40+P why not just get a 10mm and be able to shoot everything from weak .40 to full power 10mm?
Smaller gun! I like the 10mm but I prefer a 40 in a 9mm size gun.
__________________
Land of the Free Because of the Brave!
It is easier to be critical than correct and most people tend to take the easy way!



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Trigger Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 23:39   #7
Trigger Finger
Senior Member
 
Trigger Finger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegriz18 View Post
I don't think their pressure exceeds SAAMI standards for the 40. That is why I say it doesn't exist.
griz, you beet me to it. I prefer the smaller size of the 40 cal weapons also.

I thought it did exceed SAMMI standards but I could very well be wrong. If that is the case then I can't understand where the higher velocities come from with BB!
__________________
Land of the Free Because of the Brave!
It is easier to be critical than correct and most people tend to take the easy way!



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Trigger Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:18   #8
NonPCnraRN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 256
Buffalo Bore warns the purchasers of their 40 S&W (call it +P or whatever) ammo NOT to fire it through Glock barrels because of likely case rupture. BB insists that an aftermarket barrel with a fully supported chamber be installed before using their ammo. BB also states that their hardcast bullets are ok in Glock barrels as they have a BHN of 21. The reported problems with lead bullets comes from the use of soft target alloys or swaged bullets. So I would deduce from this that their ammo is loaded hotter than industry standard. They also list the velocities of their ammo out of real guns, not pressure test barrels. Their 230 FMJ-FP 45 ACP will get your attention out of a 1911. I put a Fire Dragon Recoil Reducer in my Milspec to keep the gun from getting battered with steady use of this ammo.
NonPCnraRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 14:23   #9
detroitdiablo
Member
 
detroitdiablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 43
Just bought some buffalo bore .357 sig, hope it is as good as it costs!! I tried them because of all the negative posts about doubletap. I used doubletap in the early years when they were just getting hyped and the stuff was awesome. But since then a lot of negative posts, bullet switcharoos from gold dot to montana gold and reports of velocity not as advertised. I will let you know about the buffalo bore when I shoot some, but so far it looks good and uses gold dots.
detroitdiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 21:35   #10
Glockbuster
Senior Member
 
Glockbuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Middle America
Posts: 1,364
I just read from another thread that their 38 specials with 158 grain bullets clock out of a snubbie at 1040 fps.

Now, I would need to see that to believe it. When you consider a Gold Dot short barrel 135 grain 357 magnum load to go out at 990 fps, how in the world will a 38 special, no matter how you load it, propel a hevier bullet faster ?

I just chronoed some 125 grain +P Federal Nyclads at 830 fps out of my 340 PD. How the heck do they move a 158 grain bullet at 1040 fps ?
Glockbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 21:45   #11
cowboywannabe
you savvy?
 
cowboywannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: on a planet near you
Posts: 22,323
"+P" is standard pressure ammo as it was designed. over time loads have been watered down for junk guns and called "standard pressure" and when a round is loaded to its max potential they call it +p, not because its over pressure but because its where it was designed to be compared to the usual watered down stuff.

European ammo is usually "hotter' than American ammo because they dont water it down like we have over the years.
__________________
with Sarah Jane, Leela, Romana, Nyssa, and Tegan.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 22:03   #12
paragon1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockbuster View Post
I just read from another thread that their 38 specials with 158 grain bullets clock out of a snubbie at 1040 fps.

Now, I would need to see that to believe it. When you consider a Gold Dot short barrel 135 grain 357 magnum load to go out at 990 fps, how in the world will a 38 special, no matter how you load it, propel a hevier bullet faster ?

I just chronoed some 125 grain +P Federal Nyclads at 830 fps out of my 340 PD. How the heck do they move a 158 grain bullet at 1040 fps ?
Gas checked lead bullets will have more velocity than the same size jacketed. Their 158 LSWC +P goes almost as fast as their 125 Gold Dot +P. The .38 special +P velocities are legit.
paragon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 22:09   #13
Atomic Punk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,788
all the ammo for my daily ccw ( G20 ) is DT. i bought all mine about 2 or thee years ago. i expect it should be fine. but when my stock runs out i have been thinking of going with BB
Atomic Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 23:38   #14
Ak.Hiker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Homer Alaska
Posts: 2,335
I have tested Buffalo Bore ammo in many different calibers. They make some very high quality ammo and the loads I have tested are as hot or hotter than most other brands on the market. I carry several of their loads for protection when in the field.
Ak.Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 18:49   #15
ColCol
Senior Member
 
ColCol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: TN
Posts: 1,142
A couple months back I rented a USP-C in .45 and had to buy some ammo as I only had my G19 with me that I had been shooting at the range. They gave me a box of BB 230 gr +P and rest assured, this is hot stuff. It's definitely more potent than CorBon as I've shot both. That was a tough round in the lightweight H&K compact.
__________________
Kids are for people that can't have dogs.
------------------------------------------
Drop your rocks and grab your Glocks!
ColCol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 19:05   #16
Berto
woo woo
 
Berto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: WA
Posts: 30,920


Every review I have seen of BB ammo has delivered at the chrono.
Good stuff.
__________________
The West is the Best.
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 23:20   #17
PghJim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,815
I purchased some of the 40 +p from BB, but was disappointed when I found the bullet at that time was changed to Montana Gold. Since I was not going to carry it I did not chronograph it, but the recoil is wicked. Feels more like a 10mm out of a g29. I bought 357 sig rounds before Speer stopped selling BB their standard 357 sig bullet. Out of a 4" G32 I get 1,450fps and out of the 4.5" barrel I have in the gun right now, I get 1,500+fps. I think he is very honest in his velocities. DT has been a dissapointment over the past two years. Velocities used to be honest, but I have not found a 10mm, 357sig, 45 ACP or 40 S&W that came close to the advertised velocities. For BB, I do not know how the new 357sig bullet performs, but I will tell you that the velocity will be as advertised.
PghJim is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:13.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 703
168 Members
535 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31