Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-24-2010, 19:52   #1
ChesterCRD

Arasaka type 99

I know there is a ton of information on this rifle available on the web, but I'm having trouble finding a particular piece of it.

I have one and it seems to be in reasonable condition. However the forward section of the stock slides off, and I'm wondering what is supposed to retain it. All the parts appear to be present. So my question...

There is a hole in the stock just forward of the magazine cover (in the wood, forward of the screw at the front of the mag cover). This seems to be about where the threaded end of the cleaning rod (aka stacking rod?) would be when the stacking rod is inserted. There appears to be nothing there for the rod to thread into. I'm wondering whether the rod threads into something and secures the two halves of the stock from sliding apart at the rear barrel band, or if my stock was cut at some point at the rear barrel band in which case I have a damaged stock that shouldn't require anything to hold it together.

Any info is appreciated.

Last edited by ChesterCRD; 08-24-2010 at 19:52..
ChesterCRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 21:12   #2
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Yup, the lower/main stock should be one piece. They were easier to get into a duffle bag if you cut the stock.

Is the mum on the top front of the receiver intact? (as compared to being ground off)

There's a small, square, spring loaded 'button' in the stock just behind the bayonet lug that retains the cleaning rod.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

U.S. Army-MNNG 73-83 95 Bravo
NRA Life Member
When wondering who's advise to consider, check their profile to see if they have posted anything about their training or experience.

Last edited by Butch; 08-30-2010 at 21:21..
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:13   #3
ChesterCRD

Yep, the mum is intact. I guess the stock is what people call "duffle cut". I've read a few posts about how to repair that. I'll have to give it some thought.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:04   #4
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterCRD View Post
Yep, the mum is intact. I guess the stock is what people call "duffle cut". I've read a few posts about how to repair that. I'll have to give it some thought.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
An intact mum and the 'duffle cut' would certainly make the rifle appear more likely to be a real battle field pickup (as compared to being a souveneir rifle issued to troops after the war).

More info-> http://curioandrelicfirearmsforum.yuku.com/forums/15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

NRA Life Member
When wondering who's advise to consider, check their profile to see if they have posted anything about their training or experience.
Old 08-31-2010, 13:28   #5
Berto
woo woo

Saw one the other day at the range.
Had the mum, bipod and airplane sights, appeared to be early war production, darkish bore.
Old 08-31-2010, 19:30   #6
nagant123

i know a guy who has an arisaka with bipod AA sights MUM inact and not a duffle cut. perfect condition not refinished. his uncle shot a guy and took it off him. hasn't been shot since that day

Last edited by nagant123; 08-31-2010 at 19:31.. Reason: Forgot info
nagant123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:13   #7
ChesterCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagant123 View Post
i know a guy who has an arisaka with bipod AA sights MUM inact and not a duffle cut. perfect condition not refinished. his uncle shot a guy and took it off him. hasn't been shot since that day
That's pretty much the situation here. I have the rifle with intact mum, monopod, and AA sites. I inherited it from my Grandfather who (I'm told) picked it up off the battlefield. As far as I know it has not been shot since. It hasn't been refinished. It had some surface rust when I got it, most of which came off with a cloth and oil. Everything seems to work properly.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:20   #8
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagant123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterCRD View Post
That's pretty much the situation here. I have the rifle with intact mum, monopod, and AA sites. I inherited it from my Grandfather who (I'm told) picked it up off the battlefield. As far as I know it has not been shot since. It hasn't been refinished. It had some surface rust when I got it, most of which came off with a cloth and oil. Everything seems to work properly.
Pictures would be great!

Here's an old picture of mine, no monopod, dust cover, or cleaning rod though....
Military Surplus Forum

NRA Life Member
Old 09-01-2010, 12:45   #9
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

I took some new pics.....

Military Surplus Forum
Military Surplus Forum
Military Surplus Forum
Military Surplus Forum
Military Surplus Forum

NRA Life Member
Old 09-08-2010, 15:51   #10
jrs93accord

My Type 99 Arisaka (Kokura Series 20) circa 1939-40

Military Surplus Forum

Military Surplus Forum

A bad day shooting beats a great day working!
jrs93accord is offline   Reply With Quote