Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-25-2010, 19:51   #1
Snowman92D

P2000 vs. USPc...?

Could somebody give me a short rundown on what the practical differences are between the USP-compact and the P2000? I'm interested in getting one in .40 S&W caliber.

I've been carrying a Sig P229 and its grip is a bit small for my (large) hand. Any durability advantages between the Sig and the HK?
Snowman92D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 21:00   #2
Benello

The P2000 came out after the USPc in order to introduce interchangeable backstraps I believe. It also can be had with a rear mounted decocker. The grips are a little smoother and overall the gun is a tad more streamlined. The USPc, however, can come with a frame mounted safety/decocker enabling cocked and locked carry and it does not have interchangeable backstraps. The grips are more aggressive and the slide seems more robust giving a slightly more "blocky" appearance. Personally, I have the USPc in 9mm and it rocks. I love the aggressiveness of the grips and the frame mounted safety. It is a tank of a gun and the German quality exudes in its precise fit and finish. Either is great though, and to be sure for yourself you need to try and at least hold each of them, if not shoot them as well to see what YOU prefer.
Benello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 21:23   #3
Snowman92D

You are a wizard. Just what I needed. Thanks...!
Old 08-25-2010, 21:30   #4
Benello

No problem. Let us know what you get! Oh and I forgot to add, I also have the Sig p229 and would bet my life on it. It is also a tank with a solid piece of stainless steel for the slide. Hogue grips would fill it out a bit.
Old 08-25-2010, 22:46   #5
Snowman92D

Like you said, I need to shoot the HK's before deciding anything. I just retired from my LE job here after 38 years, and had carried a DAK P229 for the last two years. They gave me my pistol when I retired.

I tried putting a slip-on rubber "boot" on the grip, but it shifted around too much. I put skateboard tape on the 229's front-strap, which helped a lot. Then I had a guy at a local gun shop do a really masterful job of stippling the 229's backstrap and thumb-rest area, which helped even more with it being a tad too small. It handles a LOT better now...but I wondered about the HK's.

Since the P2000 has inter-changeable grip-straps, it seems like that'd be the way for me to go with me having really large hands. I picked up a P2000 a couple years ago at a gun shop, and when I extended my arm, the front sight came up slightly low. The Sig 229, on the other hand, comes up naturally with the sights perfectly aligned. But maybe the P2000 I handled had the wrong backstrap insert for my hand.

I'm glad you have a P229 also. It was a help to me. Is one more accurate than the other for you?
Old 08-26-2010, 17:59   #6
Benello

I have about 2000 rounds through the 229 versus only a couple hundred through the USPc so I consider the Sig more accurate, but trigger time may change that.
Old 08-26-2010, 20:02   #7
Snowman92D

Good to know. Again, thanks.