Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:31   #1
albyihat

What do you add to your media?

so was reading the corn cob media thread and saw that people where adding dryer sheets to their tumbling media this was a new one for me, so i thought to ask what else is out there that i've never heard of. If you mix up some homemade concoction please be specific about the proportions so I can give it a go. Just got 2500 real dirty once fired from brassman so i can't wait to try out some new ways of cleaning it.
So if you are using some special formula for cleaning your brass please post.
albyihat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:46   #2
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

One cap full Nu-finish car polish and two of paint thinner premixed, add to media and run tumbler 5-10 minutes to mix in well then add brass. Toss the used cut up dryer sheet on top.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member

Last edited by Boxerglocker; 08-26-2010 at 12:00..
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:00   #3
unclebob

I first put the brass in the tumbler with walnut media and cut up dryer sheet too clean the crud off the brass. Then in the other tumbler I use corncob media. I add a 50/50 mixture of Nu-Finish car polish and mineral spirits. Just poor the Nu-Finish in a squirt bottle. Dishwasher soap bottles work great. Pour the mineral spirits in the Nu-Finish bottle, shape it up then add that too the squirt bottle. Shake before using. About 1 or two tablespoons full is all you need. Run the tumbler until there is no more clumps before adding the brass. More is not better. You well just gum up the media if you do.
GSSF Life Member
Old 08-26-2010, 10:49   #4
EL_NinO619
EX-Swage Monkey

Boxer does what i do, but i leave out paint thinner. Works like a champ and my media last thousands of rounds.

As Reloaders we should adapt the load to the gun, not the gun to the load.
EL_NinO619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:05   #5
unclebob

If you mix the Nu-Finish and mineral spirits together before add it too the media he helps dilute the Nu-Finish so you do not have a big clump of the Nu-Finish. Also the mineral sprit helps in removing the carbon off the case. The cut up dryer sheets helps remove the dirt and carbon out of the media.

Also some people will mix 50/50 of corncob and walnut
GSSF Life Member

Last edited by unclebob; 08-26-2010 at 11:07..
unclebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:36   #6
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

Citric acid to clean wet. Then heated drying. Then load. Then use mineral spirits with 90-10 ratio of corncob to walnut for a 10 minute tumble to polish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

freakshow10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:54   #7
PCJim

I'm a bit different. I primarily use walnut with 2-3 tablespoons of paint thinner. The walnut actually looks a bit damp when it is finally dispersed enough to add the brass. This will clean anything off the outside of the casings in two hours time.

If I want to really shine the brass, I'll then give them a tumbling with some cob with the NuFinish additive.
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:57   #8
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCJim View Post
I'm a bit different. I primarily use walnut with 2-3 tablespoons of paint thinner. The walnut actually looks a bit damp when it is finally dispersed enough to add the brass. This will clean anything off the outside of the casings in two hours time.

If I want to really shine the brass, I'll then give them a tumbling with some cob with the NuFinish additive.
THats what I do but I never care if they look any better.
Old 08-26-2010, 14:45   #9
Hoser
Mall Ninja

Car polish and a dryer sheet.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 15:00   #10
rg1

Dillions Rapid Polish occasionally.
rg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 15:08   #11
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

I like to add Nu-Finish car polish. and when the media gets dusty I add a dryer sheet.
Old 08-26-2010, 15:29   #12
gjk5
Pinche Gringo

walnut, capful of nu finish, capful of mineral spirits, used dryer sheet, christmas tree light timer on 4 hrs.
gjk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 17:58   #13
shotgunred
reloading nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
Citric acid to clean wet. Then heated drying. Then load. Then use mineral spirits with 90-10 ratio of corncob to walnut for a 10 minute tumble to polish.
As in lemon concentrate?
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:01   #14
albyihat

when using the nufinish and mineral spirits combo does it leave a film on the brass that needs to be wiped off? i've found that the lyman turbo polish (green stuff) leaves a film on the first couple of batches that needs to be tumbled or wiped off.

Also i would like to say thanks for everyones posts and it looks like the nufinish and mineral spirits combo is coming out the winner. I just got 2500 once fired from brassman and i will be trying this out as soon as i can get to petsmart for some new media.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:16   #15
XDRoX

The reloading store by my house just closed. Where do you guys get your corn cob media?
XDRoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:30   #16
PCJim

Chris,

Read down thru this current thread....
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1254333
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:09   #17
dla

I've been using a couple tablespoons of denatured alcohol in my cob as it collects the dust to the sides of the bowl and evaporates completely. I'm gonna try the dry sheet next.

dla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 13:12   #18
unclebob

Walnut media: Cleans the brass.
Corncob media: Polishes the brass
Nu-Finish car polish: helps in polishing the brass, and leaves a film that help in resizing the brass. Does not hurt anything in leaving the film on the case.
Mineral spirits: Helps in remove the carbon off of the case. Also is used too dilute the Fu-Finish car polish so it spread it out more over the media and mixes faster.
Dryer sheets. Helps in removing the dirt and carbon out of the media so that it well last longer.
Security timer: Used too set how long you want the tumbler too run.

;
GSSF Life Member
Old 08-28-2010, 14:16   #19
albyihat

went to petsmart today and picked up some walnut bird litter to try as tumbling media. added to that the nufinish and mineral spirit mix and some dryer sheets cut up. WOW what the hell have i been doing buying tumbling media. i did a side by side comparsion first i tumbled a batch using lyman store bought corncob green media, then the homemade stuff. The homemade blew the lyman away. the brass is cleaner and better looking (more shine). if you are using store bought media stop.
Old 08-28-2010, 14:22   #20
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by albyihat View Post
went to petsmart today and picked up some walnut bird litter to try as tumbling media. added to that the nufinish and mineral spirit mix and some dryer sheets cut up. WOW what the hell have i been doing buying tumbling media. i did a side by side comparsion first i tumbled a batch using lyman store bought corncob green media, then the homemade stuff. The homemade blew the lyman away. the brass is cleaner and better looking (more shine). if you are using store bought media stop.

Are great looking women with loose moral values following you around now? No? The hell with it, I'm saving the Nu-Finish so the butler can polish the Bentley. (Then he can use the dirty rag to polish the brass.)

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote