Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-27-2010, 16:56   #1
Bello
America/Italia

lees new hand priming system

Reloading
ReloadingReloading
The new Auto-Prime XR eliminated the primer brand restriction so any brand is now usable. The new tool shares the body from the original tool, the rest of the components have been improved or replaced. The new tool features an unbreakable comfort cure leaver, large square trays that nicely Accept all brands of primer boxes with slide on covers for small and large primers, most important, The tool features a patent pending "elevator pin". This pin safely separated a single primer from the Others and presents it for priming reducing the likelihood of a chain fire.
Old 08-27-2010, 17:27   #2
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Had to delete the thread... the butler might see it and want me to buy him one.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 17:28   #3
Bello
America/Italia

you cant hide from me jack!! and yes i do want you to buy me one
Old 08-27-2010, 18:18   #4
fredj338

The only issue I have w/ the Lee is not the primer tray but the thumb actuated lever. Do 200rds like that w/ a bit of arthritis. The Horandy uses your entire hand, like gripping pliers, much more comfy & you don't need an extra shell holder.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 19:05   #5
dudel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
The only issue I have w/ the Lee is not the primer tray but the thumb actuated lever. Do 200rds like that w/ a bit of arthritis. The Horandy uses your entire hand, like gripping pliers, much more comfy & you don't need an extra shell holder.
You can use the old style Lee (round tray) that way. Grip the unit with the lever in your palm, and wrap your fingers around the main housing. Works, but be careful not to get your palm pinched. Learned it after a long session that resulted in a sore thumb.

A square primer tray is a big improvement. Only the old (smaller) CCI packs would fit in the round Lee tray.

Last edited by dudel; 08-27-2010 at 19:06..
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 20:58   #6
G36_Me

how much? I have 3 old models with an extra lever as spare. (already broke one lever, so bought 2). price was my factor and i'm only half a cripple, so still works for me (for now)
Glock Professional Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
G36_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 21:56   #7
Bultx1215

I like it. Soon as the old one kicks it.....I'm there.
Bultx1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:55   #8
DoctaGlockta

The lever looks much beefier. That IMO was the weak link in the current model. Will be ordering a couple when they hit the market. Thanks to Bello for the 411.

Art

- Barack Hussein Obama
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:27   #9
Bello
America/Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctaGlockta View Post
The lever looks much beefier. That IMO was the weak link in the current model. Will be ordering a couple when they hit the market. Thanks to Bello for the 411.

Art

not a problem thought about getting one myself also site says 18.00 dollars
Old 08-28-2010, 06:37   #10
FiremanMike
Way too busy

I wonder if they will come out with a square reservoir for the safety prime system on their turret press, I would love that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallNotBeInfringed
I humbly submit I have over one million Concealed Carry hours. First license is from early 80's.
FiremanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:37   #11
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudel View Post
You can use the old style Lee (round tray) that way. Grip the unit with the lever in your palm, and wrap your fingers around the main housing. Works, but be careful not to get your palm pinched. Learned it after a long session that resulted in a sore thumb.

A square primer tray is a big improvement. Only the old (smaller) CCI packs would fit in the round Lee tray.
Yeah dudel, tried it that way, just doesn't fit my hand. The Hornady is sooo much better IMO, no add'l. shell holder needed either.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
Old 08-28-2010, 09:42   #12
dudel

Quote:
Yeah dudel, tried it that way, just doesn't fit my hand. The Hornady is sooo much better IMO, no add'l. shell holder needed either.
I can't argue any of those points. The Hornady and RCBS fit a normal size hand better. They are also, IMHO, better built. They had the safety feature (blocking the primer being seated from the batch of primers) from the get go. Being able to use the same shellholder is a definite plus. Only Lee came up with needing three separate shell holder (loading, priming and trimming). Seems a bit strange since they throw in the shellholder with most dies.

For people starting out, I think the Hornady or RCBS would be a better deal in the long run. If you are really pinched for funds, the Lee might make sense. I have two from way back when. I have one set up small primer, one for large primer. They are cheap enough to have one for each, and they work well for working up small batches of test rounds during load development.
Old 08-29-2010, 16:47   #13
MoNsTeR

Definitely gonna pick one of these up, though it seems Midway isn't stocking it yet.

The Lee hand priming tools definitely feel cheap, and let's face it they are cheap, but they work great. I have an RCBS too and compared to the Lee it is a piece of junk.
MoNsTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 17:37   #14
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudel View Post
I have two from way back when. I have one set up small primer, one for large primer. They are cheap enough to have one for each, and they work well for working up small batches of test rounds during load development.
Me too, still use them cause I have them, but only for quick 20 or so rounds. If I am loading more, the Hornady goes to work.
Old 08-29-2010, 18:12   #15
Bello
America/Italia

www.factorysales.com is where i received the info!
Old 08-29-2010, 19:32   #16
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Will the Lee shellholders work in the Hornady priming tool?

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 18:44   #17
dudel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
Will the Lee shellholders work in the Hornady priming tool?
I know the Lee hand priming tool takes a special shell holder. IIRC, the Hornady (and RCBS) takes a standard shell holder (like one you would use on the press). So, yes, the Hornady should use a standard Lee shellholder (like what they include with the dies).

Always thought it was strange that Lee would include a shell holder with the dies; but not the shell holder so you could use their hand priming system.

Last edited by dudel; 08-30-2010 at 18:46..
Old 09-05-2010, 12:12   #18
meleors
Cranky Member

I ordered one of the new ones and have to say that Lee needs to go back to the drawing board on this.

Pros: The lever is beefier and is strengthened by a thicker and longer spine on the back.

Cons: They are using the same body, yet due to the "elevator pin", the tray sits lower. As a consequence, the lever is angled out more requiring a wider grip. This quickly becomes uncomfortable. Also the lever is slightly shorter giving you less leverage requiring more force to seat the primer.
If you have exceptionally large hands this may be OK for you. If you have arthritis, forget even trying this unit.

The bottom line for me was that my hand was hurting after priming only 100 cases. With the older hand primer I can prime 3x more before my hand needs a rest.

IMO, Lee would make their customers much happier by returning to the old design with a better made lever.
meleors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 13:06   #19
MinervaDoe

Quote:
The Horandy uses your entire hand, like gripping pliers, much more comfy & you don't need an extra shell holder.
Reloading

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=756549

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote