Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:18   #1
pant3ra

Unsupported casehead question

Hey guys, I went shooting with a buddy the other who who recently purchased a gun in .40 SW. Me shooting 9mm most of the time decided to give his firearm a shot. The recoil was not nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be and in my opinion at best I could HARDLY tell a difference between my glock 19's recoil and his glock 23.

Anyhow, on to what this topic is really about, I hear glocks in .40 SW have "unsupported casehead" is this for all glocks? old glocks? certain model glocks in .40? And if so, can I see pictures on this?

If this have "fixed" this, I really wouldn't mind getting a g23 to use as CC for when I'm bird hunting this fall, since wild hogs are a big pain in Texas and have been known to really do some damage to people here.

Hope to hear any feedback soon, Thanks!
pant3ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:02   #2
BOGE

Firstly, it`s nothing to worry about if you don`t reload. Secondly, you need a revolver with heavy hard cast bullets to stop hogs consistenly, e.g.. .44 Spcl. or Mag.
BOGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 14:24   #3
pant3ra

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOGE View Post
Firstly, it`s nothing to worry about if you don`t reload. Secondly, you need a revolver with heavy hard cast bullets to stop hogs consistenly, e.g.. .44 Spcl. or Mag.

given proper shot placement would I be better off sticking to my glock 19 as opposed to using a 23 for hogs then?
Old 08-29-2010, 23:00   #4
Preußen
Wildey's here

fully-supported chamber

Caliber Corner

where the arrow's pointing to
Preußen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:36   #5
Daryl in Az
Enjoying life!

I had a G20 from the early 1990's that had an "obvious" lack of support in the area pointed to in the above picture. The feed ramp took part of the chamber away, causing the brass to get a "smilie" type bulge. It was never an issue with new cartridges, or handloaded cartridges using new brass. I did have some reservations about reloading cases that had been shot in that chamber. Whether they are substantiated or not, I really don't know.

My concern was that the bulged area, if pushed back in with a small base type die, would be weaker after being stretched. If that same place on the brass lined up in the same position in the chamber, then it might cause problems.

Some dies do not resize this area of the cartridge, and in that case one might have a problem with chambering.

However...

I have a new G23 that I bought in early July of this year, and the chamber appears to be fully supported. It's definitely supported enough so that I'm not concerned at all about reloading for it.

I haven't read anything to support my view, but it appears that Glock fixed the issue.

Daryl

Molon Labe!
Daryl in Az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:15   #6
pant3ra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preußen View Post
Caliber Corner

where the arrow's pointing to
If I'm not mistaken, that's what my G19 looks like too though.....
Old 08-30-2010, 12:17   #7
pant3ra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl in Az View Post
I had a G20 from the early 1990's that had an "obvious" lack of support in the area pointed to in the above picture. The feed ramp took part of the chamber away, causing the brass to get a "smilie" type bulge. It was never an issue with new cartridges, or handloaded cartridges using new brass. I did have some reservations about reloading cases that had been shot in that chamber. Whether they are substantiated or not, I really don't know.

My concern was that the bulged area, if pushed back in with a small base type die, would be weaker after being stretched. If that same place on the brass lined up in the same position in the chamber, then it might cause problems.

Some dies do not resize this area of the cartridge, and in that case one might have a problem with chambering.

However...

I have a new G23 that I bought in early July of this year, and the chamber appears to be fully supported. It's definitely supported enough so that I'm not concerned at all about reloading for it.

I haven't read anything to support my view, but it appears that Glock fixed the issue.

Daryl
Cool, the next question would be, which I think a previous poster already answered - the .40 SW being adequate for hogs?
Old 08-30-2010, 12:41   #8
MSgt Dotson

If the hog will simply hold his head perfectly still while slicing/dicing you with his tusks, I feel the .40 with FMJ/FP ammo will be adequate, assuming contact/eye-shot distances.

.44 Mag, 250-275 gr hard cast bullets.....
MSgt Dotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 13:25   #9
BOGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgt Dotson View Post
If the hog will simply hold his head perfectly still while slicing/dicing you with his tusks, I feel the .40 with FMJ/FP ammo will be adequate, assuming contact/eye-shot distances.

.44 Mag, 250-275 gr hard cast bullets.....

¨Skin that one, Pilgrim, and I'll get you another!¨

Last edited by BOGE; 08-30-2010 at 13:26..
Old 08-30-2010, 14:39   #10
Daryl in Az
Enjoying life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pant3ra View Post
Cool, the next question would be, which I think a previous poster already answered - the .40 SW being adequate for hogs?
:Adequate" is a subjective term. There are folks out there who hunt hogs with a sharp knife, or a .17 HMR. Not my cup o' tea, but they say it works.

SD is a different situation. I'd prefer a .41 mag, .44 mag, or heavy loaded .45 Colt, but if I had to carry concealed then I'd suffice with a .40 S&W.

But I believe that legend oft-times exceeds reality, so what do I know?

Daryl

Molon Labe!
Old 08-30-2010, 15:30   #11
pant3ra

hmmm .44 magnum seems a bit much for me, since I'd like a fun gun I can take to the range and shoot.

What if I just went with a revolver chambered in .357 magnum with some heavy 180-200 grain SD loads then? Then at least I could afford to go to the range and practice with .38 spl ?
Old 09-01-2010, 00:04   #12
cole

There is the "old" Glock .40sw case support and the "new" Glock .40sw case support.

My Gen3 G23:
Caliber Corner

Comparisons to other guns (note: Glock is a Gen2 G22)
Caliber Corner
- When I was strong they came for the weak but I did nothing. Now I am weak and they come for me.
cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 00:31   #13
SiGlocKid

Caliber Corner
Old 09-01-2010, 07:46   #14
BOGE

Quote:
hmmm .44 magnum seems a bit much for me, since I'd like a fun gun I can take to the range and shoot.

What if I just went with a revolver chambered in .357 magnum with some heavy 180-200 grain SD loads then? Then at least I could afford to go to the range and practice with .38 spl ?

That is the WORST thing you can possibly do. The recoil difference between the .38 & .357 Mag. is vastly different. At this point I think you'd be better off with a rifle or shotgun.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:18   #15
Daryl in Az
Enjoying life!

Quote:

Well, I believe in being honest. Like I said, I would prefer a larger, more powerful cartridge.

I already have larger caliber handguns though, and usually carry one if I'm hunting where they might be needed. A .45 Colt using 300 grain bullets loaded to 1300+ fps is a thumper that will shoot lengthwise through a hog.

I would not feel too undergunned carrying my G23 in bear or hog country, simply because it's been my experience that black bears and such are not quite as hard to stop as legend would have us believe. A 180 grain .40 caliber bullet at 1000+ fps is no slouch.

But my advice is to buy the gun that works for you and your needs. If a .357 magnum works better for you, then I've no doubt it'll work for you if you can use it well. I shot a LOT of .357 magnum ammo back in the 1980's and early 1990's, although I don't own one any more. It's an excellent cartridge that's well suited to woods carry and SD situations. With the right powder, you can push a 180 grain bullet to ~1400 fps, although factory fodder may or may not reach that level.

This is why so many shooters own so many guns.

Daryl

Molon Labe!
Old 09-01-2010, 14:02   #16
Ceapea

I don't see the difference between the barrel on my .40 Sigma and my G22 RTF2...

Attached Thumbnails
Caliber Corner - Click for larger version   Caliber Corner - Click for larger version  

Last edited by Ceapea; 09-02-2010 at 07:06..
Ceapea is offline   Reply With Quote