Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:02   #1
WoodenPlank
Who?

Different .357 Ranger ammo?

Dear Mas,

Recently I was checking through my stockpile of .357 Sig SD ammo. I keep my pistol loaded with Ranger T, and have a small reserve of both Ranger and Gold Dot. When looking at the ranger ammo, I noticed two different versions of the bullet. The Ranger T I have has been acquired through multiple sources, and most of it is loaded into magazines, so I have no way of knowing where the different types might have originated.

The first type of bullet seems to be the classic Ranger T - a shallow hollow point cavity, and very obvious pointed ends on the jacketing of the "petals" , complete with long taper, inside the hollow point cavity. This design seems pretty consistent with the 9mm Ranger T ammunition I own, which also features these elongated, tapered petal ends.

The second is a little more unusual - a much deeper hollow-point cavity (without pulling a round and examining it, it almost seems to extend nearly to the base of the bullet), and much more blunted ends to the petal jacketing inside the cavity. While there still seems to be a sharp point at the ends of the petal jacket, it is much shorter and significantly less tapered than the "shallow-cavity rounds".

I remember reading once (possibly here) that early Ranger T in .357 SIG suffered from a design flaw (One that would be a concern more to LEOs than to civilians using it for SD), and was subsequently tweaked to correct the problem. Is it possible that I have a mix of that older ammo (or some other design revision of T-series), or do I have non-T series ammo mixed in with the Ranger T? Also, if the "deep-cavity" ammo is the standard, non T-series ammo, would you have any concerns in terms of performance for use as carry ammo compared to the T-Series? I get the feeling either one will be highly effective, but I do feel a little concern over the ammo inconsistency.

Thanks, again, for your excellent advice and help.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:25   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Plank, ya caught me on the road this week, far from my own ammo supply and with only 9mm, .45 ACP, and .38 Special ammo with me, so I can't look at my own stuff to check.

Personally, on my own 9mm for instance, I keep track by headstamp. I switched to Ranger-T as soon as it became available, so my supply of Ranger-T is headstamped "09," distinguishing it from the earlier datestamp on my older SXT supply. However, I don't know off the top of my head if Winchester follows that protocol when stamping their .357 SIG cases in their Ranger series, or not.

I'd suggest you reach out to Glock Talk member Hotpig, either at Caliber Corner or by PM. I consider him GT's resident expert on Winchester ammo, and he has proven to be hugely helpful to the membership here in the past.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 13:27   #3
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mas Ayoob View Post
Plank, ya caught me on the road this week, far from my own ammo supply and with only 9mm, .45 ACP, and .38 Special ammo with me, so I can't look at my own stuff to check.

Personally, on my own 9mm for instance, I keep track by headstamp. I switched to Ranger-T as soon as it became available, so my supply of Ranger-T is headstamped "09," distinguishing it from the earlier datestamp on my older SXT supply. However, I don't know off the top of my head if Winchester follows that protocol when stamping their .357 SIG cases in their Ranger series, or not.

I'd suggest you reach out to Glock Talk member Hotpig, either at Caliber Corner or by PM. I consider him GT's resident expert on Winchester ammo, and he has proven to be hugely helpful to the membership here in the past.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
Mas
Mas,

Not a problem, and thanks for getting me pointed in the right direction. For your reference, neither my 9mm Ranger (of which I have a VERY limited supply), nor my .357 Sig ammo appears to be head-stamped with dates.

Have a safe trip.

-Plank
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote