Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-30-2010, 21:56   #1
trlcavscout

357 sig and newbie brass question

First what is the best plinking loads for the 357 sig? Best bullets? I will probably start useing unique powder since I bought that for the 9mm reloads. I will load some hotter loads in the future but for now just cheap plinking loads.

Also being new to pistol reloading how many times can you reuse brass before it gets loaded in the SHTF storage cans? 9mm mainly.

Thanks guys I am trying to pick up all the info I can. My 9mm loads have worked out pretty good so far with the exception of one bulged case? Still wanting to see how low I can go on the 9mm for GSSF loads, right now I am loading at 5.0gr unique, 124gr HSM bullets at 1.15" OAL and they work pretty good so I may stick with that.

Last edited by trlcavscout; 08-30-2010 at 21:57..
trlcavscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:09   #2
fredj338

You need to use a truncatesd cone style bullets in the 357sg, most 9mm bullets will not work. Unique works in the 357sig, but you have to push it very hard to get close to factory vel. I load light 1200fps+ plinkers w/ 7gr. I prefer Longshot, BlueDot, PowerPistol, AA#7 & AA#9 all work for factory equiv loads. My current fav is LS w/ AA#7 close behind.
Brass life is very dependent of the pressure levels loaded. I have 45acp brass that has been loaded maybe 15X-20X, can't even tell what brand anymore, the head stamps are battered so much. The same can be done w/ 9mm if you stay off +P loads. At factory equvi loads, 10x would be a good safe count IMO.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 08-31-2010 at 02:12..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:35   #3
trlcavscout

Ok thanks. I dont plan on loading anything hot for a while at least. The rounds I use for work I will buy in 357 sig. When I loaded 308 I had the 2 die set so I wasnt sure on the 9mm with the 3 die set how much extra stretching wore them down.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:18   #4
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlcavscout View Post
Ok thanks. I dont plan on loading anything hot for a while at least. The rounds I use for work I will buy in 357 sig. When I loaded 308 I had the 2 die set so I wasnt sure on the 9mm with the 3 die set how much extra stretching wore them down.
The extra die is used for belling the case, It causes some add'l. work hardening, but don't over bell & the cases last quite awhile.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote