SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-30-2010, 22:08   #1
glockaviator

Muzzle brakes

Zak,

What are your opinions of muzzle brakes on rifles such as 308? The gunsmith is going to give me a threadon one that I can remove and put on a thread protector. It will reduce MUZZLE FLIP, he says so I can see my shot hit the paper. That intrigues me. He says it will reduce recoil (always a good thing). No change in accuracy though I might have to rework my reloads a bit. Only downside is it increases noise. Of course I wear ear protection (usually both plugs and headset), as does everyone else at the range.

Opinion?
Old 09-01-2010, 13:04   #2
Zak Smith
3Gunner

There's not really any reason to not have one, unless you want a suppressor instead. The .308 doesn't have a lot of recoil in a heavy precision rifle anyway and .308 doesn't have a lot of gas volume to work on the suppressor, but there will still be positive effects. It will definitely reduce recoil.

If you are getting muzzle flip or bouncing off target during recoil from the prone position, with a rifle over 14#, you have a problem with rifle ergonomics, fit, or your shooting position. I can spot hits with my .308, .260, 7mm RM, .338LM, and .50BMG.

There is a wide variation in effectiveness between muzzle brakes on the market. Some have marginal benefits and some work very well.

I recommend the Badger FTE brake.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Zak Smith; 09-01-2010 at 13:05..
Zak Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 00:20   #3
glockaviator

You can spot hits with all those rifles even without muzzle brake? Hmm, when I shoot, I lose sight picture. How do you do it? Know of anyone in Colorado that could teach me how?

I am loading my own ammo and shooting a Sako TRG 22 now with a Nightforce out to 1000 yards. Quite a step up from my lightweight Browning hunting rifle and Nikon scope. But I will admit, I haven't mastered the ability to see my bullet hit. I lose sight picture.

Your writings about long range shooting got me started BTW. Thanks much!
Old 12-22-2010, 03:24   #4
Zak Smith
3Gunner

I didn't say or mean that, though reading the statement in context I could see how it could be interpreted that way now.

All my LR rifles use either a suppressor or brake; however, I can spot hit/misses with the .308 and .260 without either. 7RM would be marginal. The rest, no.

Ray and I and the rest of the gang are in Colorado, so come out and shoot with us and we'll see what's going on.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:04   #5
glockaviator

I hope to shoot in some of the matches down in Raton. I also know of the monthly matches Gunsite in Arizona. Do you know of any other matches in Colorado area?

I frankly have no idea how I would do in a match. Sometimes I go out and can hit my 10" steel at each 100 yard increments out to 600 yards then it falls to 50% hits until 800 and falls to 1/4 of the time out to 1100. That is with very little wind. My group sizes are 1/2moa to 1 1/2moa. When the wind comes chaos starts reigning and my first hits can drop to near zero beyond 300 yards or so. It has happened.

I really could use some private instruction. I understand the technical stuff (ranging, moa, mils etc), can work JBM for ballistic tables that are pretty close, but have never had any instruction in "how to shoot", how to hold the rifle, how to absorb the recoil, working under timing restraints etc.

Keep up the good writing and thanks again!
Old 12-22-2010, 15:11   #6
Zak Smith
3Gunner

All the LR matches I'm aware of are in the coloradomultigun web site, other than NRA HP long range. They are going to expand the KD matches at CRC this year, I believe.

If you can make those hits and understand the technical stuff, you have the building blocks to step up to the next level: field shooting. There is no substitute for doing it, so I recommend that you come out to the Sporting Rifle match and shoot that. The "weird position" shooting there is limited (unlike the Steel Safari where we make things harder)