Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-02-2011, 19:23   #1
ctaggart

.260 Remington or 6.5 Creedmoor?

I'm going to have a T/C Encore Pro Hunter built up for an all purpose long range hunting rifle. First off, I know there are accuracy issues associated with these rifles but I'm hoping with a hangar bar and professional trigger job I can have good, reliable accuracy.

I'm on the fence in regards to the caliber. The two I'm looking at are the 6.5 Creedmoor and the .260 Remington. I'm not a handloader, so I will be purchasing factory new ammunition. The two calibers seem to be pretty close in terms of ballistics. Are there significant advantages of one over the other? Thanks for your help.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:00   #2
Zak Smith
3Gunner

They provide essentially identical ballistics. You can buy 6.5CM factory "match" loads from Hornady, or .260 factory "match" loads from Cor-bon or maybe Black Hills. Hunting ammo is available in both, probably more in .260.

If you reload .260 has the advantage of more potential brass availability.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Zak Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:20   #3
ctaggart

Zak, thanks for the quick reply. Due to such similarities, I've decided to go with the 6.5CM based on the price of ammunition. It seems that the .260 is at least $10 more per box than the 6.5CM and since I don't "roll my own," I can't justify paying such a premium for the .260.

With that decision made, I have two more quick questions if you don't mind. First, would a 1/8 twist rate effectively stabilize 120 grain through 140 grain bullets? And second, I'm going to have a custom barrel made for me. I have the option of the manufacturer either giving a standard neck diameter or "tight neck." Since Hornady is the only manufactuer of 6.5CM and lists neck diameter of .2969, would it be advantageous for me to order a tight neck at .2969?

Again, thank you for your time. You're a great resource and I really enjoy reading your articles.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:28   #4
Zak Smith
3Gunner

1:8 - yes.

On the neck, I would recommend whatever Hornady specs for their chambers, not any tighter than that.

If 0.2969 is the OD of the loaded cartridge neck, I would not recommend the chamber ID be the same - it's asking for trouble.

Zak Smith is offline   Reply With Quote