Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-25-2011, 18:30   #1
iluv2viddyfilms

Carrying a full size 1911 really isn't that bad.

I watched the Nutnfancy project and several other youtube videos about people saying it is sooo difficult to carry a full sized stainless steel 1911. Well I have a Colt series 70 mkiv and it's not bad at all. And I'm a fairly compact person, 5'7" about 160 lbs. The weight doesn't bother me with a decent belt. I have an OK belt and an OK Galco IWB holster, but the two belt clips are very close together so if my belt isn't on tight the angle does shift around slightly.

For winter carry it's fine, even for fall and spring. I have a g27 for summer that I can carry with tight t-shirts.

But while I understand that the 1911, might be a bit on the heavy size, I don't find it unreasonable. I just ordered a Crossbreed Supertuck online after about a year or two or hearing about them. Yes, I finally broke down.

We'll see how it goes, but my primary reason is to distribute the weight of my 1911 around the 2-4 position of the belt.

Carry Issues
Note: This is not my gun, but it's almost exactly the same, except mine is stainless steel. You can see mine on my 1911 youtube video.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
videos on youtube.
iluv2viddyfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 18:37   #2
Deye76

"Carrying a full size 1911 really isn't that bad. "

But a Glock 39 is soooo much better/comfortable.
Deye76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 18:46   #3
iluv2viddyfilms

I've never carried a Glock 39, but isn't it a bit more wide than a 1911. Also it has only six rounds of a smaller .45 cartridge. I could be wrong though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
videos on youtube.
iluv2viddyfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 18:51   #4
Deye76

Slightly wider, half the weight. Yes 6 rounds, one well placed shot with the frontal diameter of a .45 usually get's it done.
Deye76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 18:56   #5
rohanreginald
Novice

I sometimes carry a full size 1911. It is my second choice to a G26. The weight is the only issue for me.

Be Kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.
rohanreginald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 19:05   #6
Kahr Fan!

My belt gun when I ccw is an all stainless steel Sig P220 in 45ACP. Dimensionally it is very similar to an all steel 1911. I carry mine all day comfortably either in a OWB galco combat master or an IWB cross breed super tuck and I also have a high quality galco belt. In my experiences as long as you have a quality belt/ holster the size and weight of a belt gun does not matter. The P220 is pretty thin compared to other guns so maybe a thicker gun would bother me. I generally carry at 4:00.
Kahr Fan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 19:07   #7
Fastbear

Series 70 was my first big gun 39 years ago. Still have her, with a few updates the old girl shoots fine. The Glocks replaced her for work carry as they are easier to live with for the all shift carry. Always like to look at the Series 70-beautiful gun.
Fastbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 19:29   #8
Sheepdog Scout
Behind you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deye76 View Post

It all depends on the person. I carry a Beretta 92 100% of the time when I'm not at home. I've traveled across the country with it on my hip. It has never bothered me or been uncomfortable.

Sheepdog Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 19:42   #9
Wayne D

A full size 1911 is dimensionally close to a G34/35. I carry a G35 IWB under a tee shirt with no problems. Like Sheepdog says, it depends on your body size/type.

Last edited by Wayne D; 11-25-2011 at 19:43..
Wayne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 20:34   #10
BK63

I love shooting 1911's and have a couple of my own. The right holster makes it work, but for me I just can't get used to that cocked and locked thing, so I carry other things.
BK63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 20:49   #11
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

I carry a 5" 1911 all day every day from the moment I arise until I go to sleep.

Sparks gunbelt, VM II and a spare mag/surefire combo pouch on the right side to boot.

Hardly notice them at all.
Old 11-25-2011, 20:56   #12
fuzzy03cls

It's not the size it's the weight. My 1911 & Beretta M9 stay in the safe. I carry a G22. Big but not a brick.
fuzzy03cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 21:01   #13
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

Please.................
Old 11-25-2011, 23:08   #14
xmanhockey7

You are part of the smaller amount of concealed carriers who carrying a full size 1911 doesn't bother them. If I'm open carrying I don't mind carrying a G22 with me but for concealed carry I find it prints pretty bad if I sit down. Standing is fine though.
xmanhockey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 23:23   #15
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

mostly depends on your build.

im 6'04" 240 lbs, i can carry a G20 IWB without difficulty, as well as a full sized 1911. im not average sized.

dressing around a gun can make it easier to carry many kinds, but in the summer that isnt pratical for many.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 23:36   #16
JK-linux

Two ends of the extreme for me. A full sized steel framed 1911 or an alloy and steel Colt Cobra. I'm a lazy CCW'er who doesn't like to play dress up with holsters and belts and untucked shirts just to run out for some smokes and gas, so the Cobra usually rides shotgun 90% of the time. The 1911 is there when I have more time, or more reason to carry something better.
JK-linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 23:43   #17
ancient_serpent

I've never had a problem carrying a full sized 1911, either.
ancient_serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 23:44   #18
Tank44
Tank44

I carry a full size 1911 and have for years. I tried polymer guns and just could not get comfortable with them. I carry mine in a Galco Royal Deluxe and don't have any problems with concealment. I love the weight of an all metal gun and find I can control it much better than lighter guns.
Sometimes I sit and think. Sometimes I just sit.
Tank44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:54   #19
Bodyarmorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deye76 View Post

Carrying a pistol is not supposed to be comfortable, it is supposed to be comforting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
You are part of the smaller amount of concealed carriers who carrying a full size 1911 doesn't bother them. If I'm open carrying I don't mind carrying a G22 with me but for concealed carry I find it prints pretty bad if I sit down. Standing is fine though.
The whole printing thing really gets me. First, the majority of the sheep around you will never notice the print. For crying out loud, a few years ago a guy walks into a major shopping mall wearing a short jacket with the barrel of an AK47 sticking out the bottom of it, nobody noticed until he started shooting.

If someone does see it "printing" so what. Almost everyone is walking around with some giant smartphone on their hip. Again, nobody notices and if they do they think it's a phone.

Carrying concealed is not about convenience or comfort, it's about committment to your safety and that of those around you. My off-duty dress is most commonly a pair of cargo shorts and a polo shirt. I quite easily conceal a full sized 1911, Glock 22, 23 and a spare mag without an over-sized shirt. I am 5'10/190. No, you won't catch me wearing those ever so stylish Ed Hardy or Affliction t-shirts that every Jersey Shore wanna be tool is wearing, but hey at least yoou'll be a stylish looking corpse as you struggled to get your .32 Kel-Tec or Ruger LCP that was "better than nothing" out of the pocket of your skin tight True Religion jeans.

Not a flame on the posters I quoted, merely used to illustrate my commentary.
End of rant
Bodyarmorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:58   #20
JuneyBooney

I prefer the 4 inch barrels but the 1911 firearms are nice and flat.

Cool songs:

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote