Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:16   #1
silvrevo

Best Laser for my G19...

Looking more into getting a laser site for the G19.

Seen Crimson Trace and Laser Max. And just seen one at the local gun store that activates from the rail, you push the slide left or right of the barrel for flashing or solid red light.

Im kinda liking the Laser Max as it sits flush into the gun, and dosnt effect the grip and dosnt add girth to the gun itself. Maybe better for holsers.

I did a little search on here for lasers and found some info.

Just thought I would ask here.

Looking for good quality, long lasting, few problems. Easy to work with while not getting coated in gunpoweder residue.

I think the Laser Max is the most expensive at $300+. But that dosnt matter , if its going to be a good additon to my Glock for many years.

Thanks in advacne.
silvrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:46   #2
AZBru88

I have CT's on all my carry guns, love them. No internal parts to change. Grip is a little thicker, no holster problems that I've found. I have them on a G26, two 17's, 19C, and a 29. I like the fact that when you grab the gun they are on! No switch to remember! Think of possible situations you might need your gun, you've just been whacked on the head and are on the ground at the ATM. You draw are you going to remember to switch your laser on? Your foggy at night just awakened by a bump in the night, will you remember? Those are the questions that ran through my head when I went with CT's.
Check out the video's on there website.
The down side if you have small hands they do add a little, not much. Best of luck. Lots of guys are very happy with Lasermax. I think either way you go you will be happy.
AZBru88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 13:09   #3
silvrevo

After reading a little more,, In the Laser section,,, maybe should have posted there.

Some are having issues witht he Laser max,, fits loose and after a few rounds the slide isnt moving easy and the switch is hard to turn on?

I seen a few CT lasers on ebay new for the g19 for $168.

Now which generation G19 do I have. I bought it new about 4 years ago. Whats the tell tail signs of generation to generation?

Thanks.

Was leaning towards LaserMax,,,, Now Crimson Trace.
Old 09-01-2010, 13:26   #4
bentbiker
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrevo View Post
Now which generation G19 do I have. I bought it new about 4 years ago. Whats the tell tail signs of generation to generation?

Was leaning towards LaserMax,,,, Now Crimson Trace.
Gen3 has finger grooves and accessory rail; that should be you.

Make sure you check out the green lasers. Up to 50 times brighter.
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 13:28   #5
rsxr22

i like the CT's as well, but it makes the grip kind of large for me
rsxr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 13:49   #6
silvrevo

I seen that about the green lasers,,, also they eat the battery about 4 times as fast.

Btw,,, what is the battery life in these CT and LM red lasers?
Old 09-01-2010, 13:52   #7
Wooderson76

Crimson traces are nice...a little over priced but nice.Havnt had or heard of problems with them
Wooderson76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 14:09   #8
Havasu

I have a LaserLite on my G19 and I love it. It replaces the rear sight, but still leaves you with iron sights. It has on and flash modes. I have put at least 1K rounds through the gun since install and there are no problems. Since most holsters don't extend to the rear sight there are no issues there.
Old 09-01-2010, 14:11   #9
silvrevo

I have the stock night sites from Glock,,, So dont want to lose them.

Guess its between the Crismson and the LaserMax?

Just the price of the LaserMax is about the price of a used glock....
Old 09-01-2010, 14:51   #10
bentbiker
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrevo View Post
I seen that about the green lasers,,, also they eat the battery about 4 times as fast.

Btw,,, what is the battery life in these CT and LM red lasers?
I'm confused; if you don't know the battery life on the CT and LM red lasers, how can you say that green lasers "eat the battery about 4 times as fast?" See http://www.viridiangreenlaser.com/ad...uctcomparison/ for a comparison.
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 16:08   #11
mikegun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havasu View Post
I have a LaserLite on my G19 and I love it. It replaces the rear sight, but still leaves you with iron sights. It has on and flash modes. I have put at least 1K rounds through the gun since install and there are no problems. Since most holsters don't extend to the rear sight there are no issues there.
i changed from crimson trace and lasermax to laserlite on my glocks and love then, fits any holster, tough and work well, a lot cheaper as well
Old 09-01-2010, 16:24   #12
sniper350

The best Laser I found ( and now testing ) IS C.T. "Laserguard" for the G19.

I have had people pick up my G19 and not even notice the laser right away.
Better than any grip laser in that it is completely IN-LINE with the bore of the Pistol. Has a hidden, but accessable master switch, so you can turn off the laser in a matter of seconds. It does interfere with most holsters BUT , Desantis makes a model that is made especially for the C.T. Laserguard.

I don't like the kind of laser that doubles as a Guide Rod ......... as I have seen them fall apart inside the Glock and completely jam up the gun. It took me 10 minutes to get the pistol apart ......and the batteries & spring and other small parts just fell all over the Range floor.

The Laserguard holds zero .....after 300 rounds. So far I have no complaints about this product.

JF.
sniper350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 16:51   #13
glockfanbob

I have a lasermax on my g29sf. In bright day light its all but useless. Once they make green guide rod lasermax's I'm all over it. Any other times besides bright daylight the current lasermax is pretty good.

For what it's worth I previously owned a crimson trace laser on my old g23 and it added not only girth in the grip but also the laser "bulb" stuck out to the point of printing (I carry IWB 12:30-1).
glockfanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 17:11   #14
RayB
Retired Member

We've owned several laser designators and currently have two LaserMax guide rod lasers and one LaserMax UNI-GREEN. No, I do not work for LaserMax... I bought the guide rod units from MidwayUSA, and received the UNI-GREEN as a gift.

Based on my great experience with the LaserMax guide rod unit in my G21, when I bought Judy her new G19, I installed a LaserMax guide rod laser immediately. The new gun had some fail-to-feed issues, and immediately some GT members said, Lose the LaserMax! It turned out to be one of five new magazines--an OEM stock part!

But I don't question that defects surface--with any product. I've seen refurbished Crimson Trace Laser Grips for sale at places like MidwayUSA... A recent GT post described two-in-a-row failures with new Viridian X5Ls... Another GT member couldn't get the laser in his new SureFire X400 aligned, and had to return it... It happens...

At any rate, our own experience with LaserMax has been excellent and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another!

I do like the Crimson Trace Laserguard, but it does preclude the use of a weapon light.

By the bye, green lasers do consume far more energy than comparable red lasers do--it's just a fact. As I understand it, the current green lasers are actually based on infrared lasers, which are re-modulated into the green wavelengths of light; and that requires more circuitry and greater power consumption (they also have a narrower range of operation temperature-wise). My LaserMax UNI-GREEN is far hungrier than our LaserMax guide rod lasers are!

As for the Viridian, it's designed to carry much larger power cells than say, the UNI-GREEN does; which is why it's also much bigger!

Still, if I were limited to one laser, for my own purposes, I'd go green!

--Ray
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 17:24   #15
MerlinX

I love my laserlyte... just replace the rear sight and your good to go. Compact so it fits in holsters and it has a pulse setting to conserve batteries. These pics are of it in my Comp-Tac IWB holster
Sights, Optics and Lasers
And they are surprisingly cheap in comparison.

Last edited by MerlinX; 09-02-2010 at 04:36..
MerlinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 17:27   #16
crzn01
G23 Gen 4 (32)

This is the one I have on my G23. It will fit the G 19. I didn't get mine from Crimson Trace because of the price but I did get it on the internet from a gun dealer for $262.00. I noticed someone on here has one for sale.

http://www.crimsontrace.com/Home/Pro...1/Default.aspx

This one has an on / off switch on one side of the grip. I turn my off during the day & turn it on after dark just in case.

Last edited by crzn01; 09-01-2010 at 18:14..
crzn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 17:43   #17
MrSmoofy

I looked at the LaserMax and CT for my G27 which I carry.

I went with CT for the following reasons. The CT is grip activated. The LaserMax is a switch. When I'm in a fight for my life situation I don't want to have to think about turning it on when I draw my weapon it will be on with the CT and as soon as I see the red dot on the BG I'm gonna start pulling the trigger and won't have to worry about turning on the laser.
Florida Glocker #104
MrSmoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 00:23   #18
Havasu

The October issue of Guns and Ammo (just came today) has an article that compares all these lasers. It should be a good read for anyone considering one.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:27   #19
RayB
Retired Member

Activating the laser is a bit like flipping the safety off, or switching on a weapon light; you practice till you do it quickly, smoothly, and without thinking about it.

I prefer deliberate activation on a bedside, or home defense weapon.

But instant-on is a good thing on a CCW or BUG! No question about it!

For certain tactical applications the green laser's easily traceable beam might be problematic... We use green lasers in astronomy to point out targets in the sky...

But for home use, I love the 24-hour visibility of the green laser! I also prefer the pulsing beam.

The idea behind the pulsing beam is exactly the reason that aircraft anti-collision and emergency vehicle lights flash--they're noticed more quickly; plus, they stand out better on a complex background. Our peripheral vision picks up a moving or blinking object faster--it's designed that way. It can also be argued that the pulsing dot is more intimidating to the target... In the case of laser designators, it also greatly extends battery life, which on my UNI-GREEN, ain't a bad thing!

--Ray

Last edited by RayB; 09-02-2010 at 03:33..
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:20   #20
silvrevo

Went looking last night , after getting on Ebay and pricing out.

Ebay has the Model LG-619 Crimson trace for $167 free shipping, lifetime batteries. msrp is $229.

Also I guess the newer model the LG - 417 for $237...msrp of $329.

Cabells said the 417 was like $369? Didnt have any price on the boxx, and I waited 35 mins. to be helped out. Other Gun Range didnt have any in stock. But they did have a rear mount LaserMax on a Model 19 Glock...Kinda looked like it came with a duck tail?

I think Im going to get the 619, as it has the back of the grip activation. Unless the 417 is a better unit?

Im not going for the Rod Guide one, as I have read many issues with them,,, plus it has to get dirty as crap being so close to the barrel end.

Wish I could get to that issue of Guns and Ammo,,, But when Im the buying hunt,,, I like to strike,,, hehe.

I think I will be happy with either model Crimson Trace.

Thanks Guys!