Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-27-2010, 15:39   #1
chippy

200 XTP Load ?

OK, I found some 200 grain XTP's at the local re-loading supply store. I"bit-the-bullet"and bought 2 boxes. (quite expensive!) I am using Blue-Dot powder,Starline cases(new), and WLP primers. I plan on starting with 8grns. of powder and working up. Stock G-20SF with 22lb recoil spring. I was just looking for input on safe high-end loads. What do you folks load the 200grn XTP's to? Is 1150-1200fps possible?
Thanks
chippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:35   #2
Meathead9

Not exactly what you're looking for, but I was able to get 1180fps average (ES-32) out of my 6" barrel using 200gr WFNGC's, 10.5gr BD & CCI300's. Its the only 200gr load development ive done with BD so far though. I worked up from 9.5gr, so I'm sure you'd be fine starting @ 8.0gr. I will be working up some more with WLP's and CCI350's eventually. Everything else I have loaded up with WLP's has gotten better velocities than CCI300's with the same charge/bullet.

Last edited by Meathead9; 08-28-2010 at 12:36..
Meathead9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 14:38   #3
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Chippy, I use the Hornady 200grain XTP as my carry load in my G-29 and before that a S&W1006...I will say 10.5 grains of Blue Dot is my max load for these because they are a long bullet and occupy much of the powder space, seated at 1.260" with Win LP or CCI 300 primers. The Bule Dot I'm using is the older lots (cardboard 5lb canisters) from when it was Hercules, so the newer lots by Alliant will need to be worked up.

Originally Speer had shown their 200grain FMJ's (1.250") using this load doing 1175 fps from the Delta Elite.

The 200 gr XTP's with 10.5 grains Blue Dot load runs 1180-1200 fps from the S&W 1006 and 1140-1160 fps from the G-29 from my test.

Take your time, when I work on the Maximum edge I hand weigh every load and verify on two scales for percise measurement corrolation! These are loads you don't just drop from a powder drop as good to go!

Best regards!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 17:38   #4
Meathead9

I'll second Shadows advice, not that I need to, for hand weighing every charge. I hand weigh EVERY 10mm and 9x25 Dillon charge. It takes a lot more time, but the attention to detail pays off and gives me more piece of mind when loading at or near max. Be safe and have patience.
Old 08-28-2010, 19:52   #5
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

I am working on a 200 gr. xtp load right now. I have shot 50 of them today, and still have 90 more to go. I am using new brass (top brass/scharch) cci 350 (magnum) primers and 800x powder.

The hottest of these I have tested so far is the 8.4 grains of powder.

7.8gr. is the mfgr's published "max". I have been working up in 2 gr. increments starting at 7.4 gr.

The avg. speed on 10 rounds @ 8.4 grains was 1132 fps (hi=1158, low=1092, e.s.=66 and s.d. = 17)

So far, I have noticed that with every 0.2 grains of powder increased, average velocity is increasing at a rate of 20 fps - though that may change.

The 8.4 grain shot great out of my G29. Good precision and accuracy. I run a 4.45" length KKM barrel, 22lb. wolff springs+ steel guide rod.

So far, no signs of over pressure - and I am watching this carefully. Tomorrow I will continue on up to 10 grains of this magic powder.

Bottom line: I think it is wholly possible to load 200 gr. xtps up to the full 1200 fps out of a G20 length barrel BUT *NOT* WITH THE STOCK BARREL!!! Stock barrel you're looking at 1100 fps - maybe - until you start to see case fractures pushing out the feed ramp (aka smilies).

You need an aftermarket barrel with better support to stop the brass from smiling at you.

I fully intend to do 1250 with the xtps out of my gun (A G29). I expect I will get there around 9.6 grains or so, but we'll see.

I have some blue dot here too, but I'm not sure when I will get to loading up the 200 grainers to their potential using that. Everything I have read leads me to believe 800x is the way to go for maximum velocity in 200 grain 10mm loads - though AA#9 could be a contender. Blue dot will look and sound more impressive though.

NOTE: Like the other guys above suggested: I hand weigh EVERY powder charge.

Last edited by Kegs; 08-28-2010 at 20:12..
Kegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 21:10   #6
chippy

Good Info

Thanks for the input.
Eventually I plan to upgrade to a 6",fully supported barrel. Any preferences? Lone Wolf? KKM,etc.

Are you guys putting a crimp on your loads?
Old 08-29-2010, 09:00   #7
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippy View Post
Thanks for the input.
Eventually I plan to upgrade to a 6",fully supported barrel. Any preferences? Lone Wolf? KKM,etc.

Are you guys putting a crimp on your loads?
I went with a KKM barrel because they had the extended barrel in stock. My idea behind the 29 is a do-it-all gun. Concealed defensive pistol as well as deer and elk hunting pistol - I have the AA conversion for it to hunt small game with as well.

I have heard a lot of good things about KKM, and I have to say I am quite happy with my choice - however I am sure Lone Wolf is a fine barrel too, and I think they are less expensive. Either of them will fit the bill in terms of case support and precision.

As far as crimps on the loads: Yes, I put a light-medium taper crimp on my loads using the standard bullet seat and feed die (the final die in the three die lee set). I set my C.O.A.L. to 1.26 on all rounds and mark lines on both settings on the die with a sharpie marker. I use a dial caliper to check the length occasionally, but if the lines are consistent, typically the length isn't changing. You can feel the crimp too, as soon as you pull the set bullet out of the die and it "sticks" a little upon retrieval. This results in a round that quite consistent (low standard deviation) and feeds perfectly every time.

For my final choice in full-power rounds I will sort brass by weight, but that is an unnecessary step for working up a load.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:16   #8
chippy

Thanks Kegs, thats the stuff I'm looking for!
Old 09-06-2010, 16:44   #9
MSgt Dotson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegs View Post
7.8gr. is the mfgr's published "max". .
Wonder why those silly Hodgdon folks with their fancy pressure testing gear even bother recommending a max charge with a given bullet weight and powder?

Surely nothing can go wrong with simply substituting 200 gr XTPs in conjunction with max charges recommended for ...155 gr XTPs....; they just don't understand 30% more bullet weight or 25% more powder is relatively insignificant, ....apparently....

Sarcasm mode off\

(Sorry, if you don't value your pistol, fingers, and eyesight, I do.)

Just because your cases/primers are not smiling/blowing out does not mean you are not dealing with dangerous 53-60k PSI loads...

'2 cents' mode off..../
MSgt Dotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 17:08   #10
eman308

Do you guys think that 10.5 of BD is doable in a stock G20 barrel? The load that Shadow listed would fit my stuff on hand and I really dont want to buy a new barrel. This is going to be a hog load for me and I'm just trying to figure one out. Also, what recoil spring should I be looking at for these loads and who has them? I was going to post this exact thread, thanks Chippy!
Thanks,E.

Last edited by eman308; 09-08-2010 at 17:16..
eman308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 14:21   #11
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgt Dotson View Post
Wonder why those silly Hodgdon folks with their fancy pressure testing gear even bother recommending a max charge with a given bullet weight and powder?
Due to a margin of error, which is a good idea. The 7.8 grain load is 32,500 PSI. The SAAMI max load is 37,500 PSI for the cartridge. IF the pressure is as linear as the velocity I have recorded while working these rounds up, I figure I am at around 37,000 PSI @ 9.4 gr. powder.

Quote:

Surely nothing can go wrong with simply substituting 200 gr XTPs in conjunction with max charges recommended for ...155 gr XTPs....; they just don't understand 30% more bullet weight or 25% more powder is relatively insignificant, ....apparently....
Don't step out of the house today due to the FEAR that you might trip on a stone and break your neck.

"The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise" - Tacitus.
Old 09-09-2010, 14:26   #12
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman308 View Post
Do you guys think that 10.5 of BD is doable in a stock G20 barrel? The load that Shadow listed would fit my stuff on hand and I really dont want to buy a new barrel. This is going to be a hog load for me and I'm just trying to figure one out. Also, what recoil spring should I be looking at for these loads and who has them? I was going to post this exact thread, thanks Chippy!
Thanks,E.
WORK UP YOUR LOADS STARTING AT 10% less powder charge than MFGR'S LISTED MAX CHARGE ON THE RELOADING MANUALS - 0.2gr. at a time, test at least 7 rounds per charge and check every discarded cartridge case you find for signs of overpressure.

What I found with my stock G29 barrel using blue dot and 155gr. xtps is that it would start to develop case ruptures BEFORE I hit the MFGR's max charge!

The only way to find out safely is to WORK UP YOUR LOADS. Starting with a hot load (especially in a stock barrel) is quite risky in my opinion.
Old 09-09-2010, 14:54   #13
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Eman308,
The Hornady 20XTP is a longer bullet that the same weight 200 grain solids or FMJ's, is has a long suface area and takes up a little more of the space in the casing. As I stated above, the 10.5 grain Bule Dot load I'm using is the older lots (cardboard 5lb canisters) from when it was Hercules. This load has been good in my S&W1006 with 22lb recoil spring and the Glock 29 with the 21 lb recoil spring.
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 20:32   #14
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Thanks,E.

I use 10.5/10.7grs of BD in the stock Glock barrel with 180gr bullets all the time and have for years. Never once a problem. I did not catch wht bullet your using with this load, but hoss i tell ya, this has for me, in the G20 out of the stock barrel, and the stock 6" barrel been a really good load out to 100yds. I would not tell ya this if I have not been doing this. I understand your concerns and rightly so, you should have concerns. Keeps you alive ! but if you are running a 180gr bullet in a 10mm glock with BD you can go 11.0 and don't look back, and at 10.5/10.7grs your safe as well. If you are running a 200gr bullet with 10.0/10.2grs BD fine.

I have never once seen a pressure problem or had any type of problem period with these weights and loads from BD. I use 200gr Hard Cast bullets all the time in the stock Glock barrel with 10.5/10.7grs BD, and the same with 180gr bullets, and they have been most accurate, and again, NO problems. I do use a steel wolff rod and a wolff 22# spring. Using starline brass mostly, and also some winchester, with CCI # 300 primers. I get 99% of all my stuff from Lone Wolf dist. You can also order directly from Wolff springs. I use the wolff rod with the wolff 22# spring. I also use a 22# ISMI spring at times as well. Never one hickup in all these years, and all the rounds fired.

Have fun
Don't worry
Get your hog .

CM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7

Last edited by CanyonMan; 09-09-2010 at 20:34..
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 20:58   #15
eman308

I'm planing on using 200 XTPs. Lookn for a kick ass hog load that i can run out of my stock 20 with a 22lb recoil spring.
Thanks,E.
Old 09-09-2010, 22:26   #16
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
I'm planing on using 200 XTPs. Lookn for a kick ass hog load that i can run out of my stock 20 with a 22lb recoil spring.
Thanks,E.

Well. out of the stock glock barrel, what you got above will be enough. 200gr XTP 10.5 grs BD, if that is what your already using and NO signs of a problem, then go for it. I do not like posting my load data on the net. I do from time to time, but rather cover my six and not do so, but I will say again, in the stock glock barrel, with NEW brass 200gr /180 gr XTP 10.5 BD and 11.0grs BD on the 180gr. I have used hundreds and hundreds of times NO problems. An after market barrel is better, but i do it in the stock glock no problem amigo. You IMO should not keep pushing past this in the stock barrel. If you want more horse power take a rifle or a 44mag.

You will be fine, new brass 180/200gr XTP with your 10.5grs BD at close range it will be fine on the hogs. I prefer a hard Cast bullet, but if XTP is your deal it is ok.

Good luck, do not worry...

CM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by CanyonMan; 10-06-2010 at 11:22..
Old 09-10-2010, 07:39   #17
MSgt Dotson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegs View Post
Don't step out of the house today due to the FEAR that you might trip on a stone and break your neck.
[/B]
what the heck, shove/compress in a few more grains, knock yourself out, Mr. 'Courage'. Be safe.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:42   #18
MSgt Dotson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonMan View Post
You will be fine, new brass 180/200gr XTP with your 10.5/10.7grs BD at close range it will be fine on the hogs. CM
On 20-30 lb piglets, perhaps....; 200-300+ lb hogs, no.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:42   #19
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgt Dotson View Post
On 20-30 lb piglets, perhaps....; 200-300+ lb hogs, no.
As I said. 'At close range you will be fine.....' He should be if he knows where to place his shots, and if the hogs are not monsters. That is why I suggested the Hard Cast bullets. That is also why I suggested that for more horse power I would go with the 44mag, or a rifle. Guess I just did not make things clear enough. Sometimes what is in my mind does not come through my fingers !

I agree fully IF he is after 300# hogs then I would stick with a rifle or a minimum of a 44mag, BUT I do know that the 10mm loaded right and with 200gr HC bullets will at close range (within 25yds) take care of said hog just going to take more effort. Not "my" first choice.

Thanks

CanyonMan

Old 09-11-2010, 10:26   #20
eman308

I shoot 'em w a '06. The 20 is just for up close. I just want sumthing to smash them if I'm in thick stuff lookn for a injured one.
E.