SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-01-2010, 18:35   #1
wongman1

Dam that Midway!! - Winchester 231

So I get this email from Midway 3hrs ago -

Hello Jonathan,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Per your request for notification, we received the following:
<o:p></o:p>
Winchester 231 Smokeless Powder 8 lb
Thanks for Your Business,
<o:p></o:p>
Larry Potterfield,
Founder and CEO of MidwayUSA
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=372783

So I gotta order it. $156 delivered using this $10 off promo code 109110. I had to call it in since the website said it was unavailable.

So now I gotta put the Chono and bullet puller on hold for 2 weeks until the next paycheck. Ive now successfully and easily doubled my reloading budget and I still have not yet loaded one single round yet.... WAT IS WRONG with ME?!?!?!? UGGG!!
wongman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 18:53   #2
oldsoldier

You might be able to get it a few bucks cheaper from Powder Valley. Guess it would depend on your shipping cost. Hodgdon HP 38 (same powder) is $106 for 8lbs and in stock too.

Last edited by oldsoldier; 09-01-2010 at 18:54..
oldsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 19:18   #3
BK63

Shooting and reloading is a sickness for which there is no cure, so there is no sense trying to fight it or find sense in it. It is what it is. Accept the fact that there is nothing you can do about it and you'll be much better off.
BK63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:13   #4
dudel

But just think of all the money you'll save (when you get some money).

Welcome to the addiction. How's the reloading monkey on your back feel.

Save money reloading. Yeah, right......

Long, long, long ago, I just bought rounds. Now there's presses, dies, measures, toolheads, powders, projectiles, moulds, ingots, primers, drop tubes, barrels, guages, micrometers, etc. And not just one of each mind you, but multiples. All sorts of things that aren't "needed" to reload; but make the process easier, cleaner, faster, better, etc.

It doesn't end.

Last edited by dudel; 09-02-2010 at 02:16..
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:14   #5
wongman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
You might be able to get it a few bucks cheaper from Powder Valley. Guess it would depend on your shipping cost. Hodgdon HP 38 (same powder) is $106 for 8lbs and in stock too.
Thx Soldier.. Really Hodgdon HP38 is the same as Win231?

I checked a few places PV included, for win231 about a week ago and everyone was out... bummer.. couldve saved a few bucks here.. oh well..
Old 09-02-2010, 10:18   #6
wongman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK63 View Post
Shooting and reloading is a sickness for which there is no cure, so there is no sense trying to fight it or find sense in it. It is what it is. Accept the fact that there is nothing you can do about it and you'll be much better off.

Considering that I started this process 2 months ago (and still havent loaded a round yet) I still have to pay my dues, and many more dues before I resign to the fact Im in it for the long haul now.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:45   #7
PCJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by wongman1 View Post
Considering that I started this process 2 months ago (and still havent loaded a round yet) I still have to pay my dues, and many more dues before I resign to the fact Im in it for the long haul now.
Well, with enough powder on order to load over 11K of 9mm ammo, I'd say you are kidding yourself if you don't believe you are already in it for the long haul.

Welcome to the addiction.
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:57   #8
AZBru88

You NEVER get into reloading to save money. You reload so you can shoot more! The saving money thing is the BIG LIE told by the reloading companies to get you to buy their machines! Heck they got me to buy 5 so far!
AZBru88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:00   #9
wongman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudel View Post
But just think of all the money you'll save (when you get some money).

Welcome to the addiction. How's the reloading monkey on your back feel.

Save money reloading. Yeah, right......

Long, long, long ago, I just bought rounds. Now there's presses, dies, measures, toolheads, powders, projectiles, moulds, ingots, primers, drop tubes, barrels, guages, micrometers, etc. And not just one of each mind you, but multiples. All sorts of things that aren't "needed" to reload; but make the process easier, cleaner, faster, better, etc.

It doesn't end.
That damn monkey is not only breakin my back, but burnin a hole in my pocket. A SanDiego and Cancun trip got shelved cuz of that monkey.

Once the initial setup is done and paid for, it will all be good again.... I hope.. but then again.. you just reminded me of the fact that eventually I may wind up makin my own lead bullets....oh sheesh...
Old 09-02-2010, 12:43   #10
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Quote:
That damn monkey is not only breakin my back, but burnin a hole in my pocket. A SanDiego and Cancun trip got shelved cuz of that monkey.

Once the initial setup is done and paid for, it will all be good again.... I hope.. but then again.. you just reminded me of the fact that eventually I may wind up makin my own lead bullets....oh sheesh...

A recent Obama Executive Order prohibits the possession and or transfer in any manner of lead material with the intent of casting firearms projectiles by anyone under 59 years of age and who possesses less than 29 years casting experience.

The exalted President Obama stated that he was signing the order for the protection of the children. Finally, he did something that makes sense.

Better put off those vacations for a few more years... buying bullets gets expensive.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:46   #11
at_liberty

W231 is not that easy to come by, especially in bulk containers. You should be happy that Midway's alert system worked for you.

Understand that Midway doesn't actually stock powder (they drop ship it), and that they cover their waiting list and a grace period before making it available for general order on the website. Probably what happened is that the distributor alerted Midway that they could ship the 8 pounders again, or was that (2) four pounders?

I bought 8 pounds each of (2) powders from Midway because they had it in four pounders and because I already had primers. I missed the lesson to order both from the same place and pay hazmat once, but am not going to meltdown over $20. When I bought primers well before that, I was not close to settling on which powder(s) to order in bulk, so it wasn't totally senseless. I first used a couple pounds of various things bought locally. Primers were not available locally at the time.
at_liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 13:24   #12
wongman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by at_liberty View Post
W231 is not that easy to come by, especially in bulk containers. You should be happy that Midway's alert system worked for you.

Understand that Midway doesn't actually stock powder (they drop ship it), and that they cover their waiting list and a grace period before making it available for general order on the website. Probably what happened is that the distributor alerted Midway that they could ship the 8 pounders again, or was that (2) four pounders?

I bought 8 pounds each of (2) powders from Midway because they had it in four pounders and because I already had primers. I missed the lesson to order both from the same place and pay hazmat once, but am not going to meltdown over $20. When I bought primers well before that, I was not close to settling on which powder(s) to order in bulk, so it wasn't totally senseless. I first used a couple pounds of various things bought locally. Primers were not available locally at the time.
Thanks.. that kinda makes me feel better.... Ive read that it was difficult to get w231, so I jumped on it as soon as i got the email without checking other places. Something I usually dont do. Im really not upset, happy I gots w231 now, but it sets me back 2 weeks from getting my first round loaded...kinda,,,just wanted a chrono before I start punching them out by the hundreds... got a shoot in 2 weeks, and I holding off on buying ammo.

I got the 8lb jug. Yes they said it was drop shipped and would take 2 weeks. 4lb'rs were also available. I may have been mistaken, but when I tried to order primers too, it was another hazmat charge of $25. I said forget it. Its probably due to being dropped shipped from another manufactuer. Luckily my local shop has em for like $40 a brick.

Powder Valley says its in stock online. I wouldve saved $5 from them. Midway forgot to apply the promo code after order, so they gave a $10 credit to use, which is better cuz there is no restrictions on it like the promo code. Im waiting for the CED m2 to go onsale now for my next order.

With the great customer service from Midway, ie-promo code issue, product alerts, fast shipping, easy returns... Im glad to pay few more dollars for something.

Last edited by wongman1; 09-02-2010 at 13:29..
Old 09-02-2010, 13:42   #13
wongman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
A recent Obama Executive Order prohibits the possession and or transfer in any manner of lead material with the intent of casting firearms projectiles by anyone under 59 years of age and who possesses less than 29 years casting experience.

The exalted President Obama stated that he was signing the order for the protection of the children. Finally, he did something that makes sense.

Better put off those vacations for a few more years... buying bullets gets expensive.

Jack
You lost me there Jack, with the Obama reference. But I'll have 2 of whatever youre having.... i think...

But yur rite, bullets are $$$ as I am finding out...
Old 09-02-2010, 13:45   #14
wongman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBru88 View Post
You NEVER get into reloading to save money. You reload so you can shoot more! The saving money thing is the BIG LIE told by the reloading companies to get you to buy their machines! Heck they got me to buy 5 so far!

Ya, they keep telling me that. Really 5 of them?
Old 09-02-2010, 14:06   #15
at_liberty

Quote:
<>Im really not upset, happy I gots w231 now, but it sets me back 2 weeks<>
BTW when I ordered powder and got the two week delay notice like you, it was actually shipped the next day. It did take a week to get to me on the east coast from Montana (Western Powder), but that was not as bad as waiting two weeks just to get underway. I think Midway puts that two weeks in there as a cushion for passing the order to the distributor, but it seems the system is much more efficient than that, at least on a good day. You'll be fine, is my bet.
at_liberty is offline   Reply With Quote