SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-02-2010, 14:01   #1
Daryl in Az
Enjoying life!

Plastic bullet boxes

I was loading some .40S&W yesterday, and ran out of ammo boxes to hold them. It's a new cartridge for me to load, although I've shot it off and on for years with factory loads, so I don't have too many storage boxes that will hold them..

Anyway, I emptied a box of Sierra bullets, and was wondering what to store the ammo in besides Ziplock bags when I thought of that box.

By turning them nose-up, then nose down, just like .22 LR used to be stacked in the old cardboard boxes, 40 cartridges fit perfectly into the box.

I had some Gold Dots that I then loaded, and 40 of them fit back in the Speer box just as nicely.

I stuck a load data sticker on the top of each box, and filled it out with the proper info. If needed, a small piece of tape will insure that the box doesn't open unintentionally.

Seems like a cheap (free), neat way to store ammo. Much better than the bags I and other handloaders have resorted to at times.

Just thought I'd pass the idea along.

Daryl

Molon Labe!
Daryl in Az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 14:19   #2
AZBru88

Daryl I don't know what I'd do with out my ammo cans. I find as I get older I like the 30cal, better then the 50cal. The 50's when full get a little heavy to haul out shooting. 30's are still OK....hope I don't get to old for them!
AZBru88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 14:22   #3
WiskyT
Malcontent

I use peanut butter jars. If a liberal happened to be nearby, the peanuts would kill him instantly since liberals can smoke weed but seem to have health issues with peanuts.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 14:23   #4
Daryl in Az
Enjoying life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBru88 View Post
Daryl I don't know what I'd do with out my ammo cans. I find as I get older I like the 30cal, better then the 50cal. The 50's when full get a little heavy to haul out shooting. 30's are still OK....hope I don't get to old for them!
Even in ammo cans, I like to store my ammo neatly.

Daryl

Molon Labe!
Old 09-02-2010, 14:58   #5
MrSmoofy

Gosh I wish you lived closer I'd help you shoot those off HAHA

Like you I like to keep my ammo neat

I use http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products...es-handgun.php
and also I always pick up one or two of http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products...ammo-cans.html when at the gun show.

I also have http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
keep one of those in my gun cases and ammo cans
Florida Glocker #104
MrSmoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 15:05   #6
CitizenOfDreams

My favorite ammo boxes:
http://www.ammoboxes.com/p-100-9-29.html

Reloading
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 15:19   #7
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

My normal Saturday trip to the range... before lunch.
Reloading

Those little plastic boxes you guy use are cute... do you store your vitamin pills in them?

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 15:22   #8
CitizenOfDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
Those little plastic boxes you guy use are cute... do you store your vitamin pills in them?
Hey, at least we are not trying to compensate for our inadequacies with big long bullets.
Old 09-02-2010, 15:26   #9
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
Hey, at least we are not trying to compensate for our inadequacies with big long bullets.

'Inadequacy' presumes that something works... even a little.

Thank God for better living through chemistry.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 18:24   #10
Daryl in Az
Enjoying life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmoofy View Post
Gosh I wish you lived closer I'd help you shoot those off HAHA

Like you I like to keep my ammo neat

I use http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products...es-handgun.php
and also I always pick up one or two of http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products...ammo-cans.html when at the gun show.

I also have http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
keep one of those in my gun cases and ammo cans
I use MTM Caseguard products too, and have for many years.

I have many of their 100 round boxes for rifle and small caliber pistol cartridges (the heavy green ones), and several of the black/red/yellow/etc colored clear ones for .45 Colt, .45 ACP, and 9mm. I just don't have many that will hold .40 S&W.

and hey, any port in a storm, right? I needed a place to store ammo, and those little empty plasic boxes work pretty well. Heaven knows I've thrown enough of them away, thinking they weren't good for anything.

The gunshops here are pretty sad when it comes to reloading stuff. One carries a decent supply of powder and primers, but very, very few bullets and even less in the way of accessories (like ammo boxes). I was in Tucson this morning, but only had a few minutes to stop in at Murphy's. They didn't have the bullets I was looking for, and I forgot to look for ammo boxes.

For now, those empty bullet boxes are working pretty well.

Daryl

Molon Labe!
Old 09-02-2010, 18:34   #11
AZBru88

I do use those MTM plastic boxes for my 300 Win and Whtby. Mag rounds. I shoot to much pistol to waste time with the little boxes. I switch back and forth with my 223 ammo. My plinking, ammo cans...my hunting rounds, I spoil those Berger bullets!

Daryl the best selection in Tucson for reloading components is at Sportsmans Warehouse. On the expensive side, but they keep a good selection of brass, bullets, and powders. Not really any higher then anyone in town, price wise. I haven't found a cheap reloading source in Tucson for many years..after the shop by the Res. closed years ago. It was so long ago I can't even remember the name of the place, my buddy and I where talking about it about a week ago.

Last edited by AZBru88; 09-02-2010 at 18:38.. Reason: added info
Old 09-03-2010, 09:15   #12
8th SPS USAF

Plastic boxes

I use Dillon and MTM. Both work well. Lock the lid down tight.

8th
8th SPS USAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:56   #13
FLSlim

The moral of this story: use whatever works, but keep that press working.... A little time back there was a discussion of small boxes for ammo storage and fredj338 (I believe) gave a link for some very inexpensive cardboard boxes. Run a search if you are interested.
Florida Glockers Club #1040
Big Dogs Club #1592
FLSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:28   #14
Daryl in Az
Enjoying life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSlim View Post
The moral of this story: use whatever works, but keep that press working.... A little time back there was a discussion of small boxes for ammo storage and fredj338 (I believe) gave a link for some very inexpensive cardboard boxes. Run a search if you are interested.
Thanks.

I'll buy some MTM boxes eventually, but they aren't worth a trip to Tucson to get them right now.

Daryl

Molon Labe!
Old 09-03-2010, 12:38   #15
Daryl in Az
Enjoying life!

Quote:
Daryl the best selection in Tucson for reloading components is at Sportsmans Warehouse. On the expensive side, but they keep a good selection of brass, bullets, and powders. Not really any higher then anyone in town, price wise. I haven't found a cheap reloading source in Tucson for many years
Agreed. I usually go to SW for such things, but I was in a hurry on this trip.

A few month back, my regular doctor found a swollen knot in my neck, and was concerned about it being lymphoma (a VERY serious form of cancer from what I understand). As a result, I was seeing a doc at the Az Cancer Center on Campbell, just south of River Road.

The appt was at 9:00, and all was well (tests came back negative, and the swollen spot was gone). I left at 9:30, and had to be back in Sierra Vista by 11:00. Since Murphy's was only a few blocks east of Campbell on my way south, I stopped by there real quick-like.

If I'd had an extra hour (or three), I'd have slipped down River Road to SW, and maybe even to Arizona Sportsman on Pima, although they've gone way downhill since ol' man Jensen owned it as "Jensen's" with their distributorship Lathrop Shooter's Supply next door. That's been a few years.

Daryl

Molon Labe!
Old 09-03-2010, 17:47   #16
dudel

Berry's (of plated projectile fame) makes some nice plastic boxes. Good prices as well.
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 18:08   #17
CitizenOfDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudel View Post
Berry's (of plated projectile fame) makes some nice plastic boxes.
Yep, those boxes are perfect for storing Precision Delta bullets which come in plastic bags.
Old 09-03-2010, 18:12   #18
AZBru88

Daryl glad to hear about your good health! Congrats!
Ya I miss old man Jensen and the boys, Butch the manager. Miss those deals! Really miss Big Dave from next door.
The bunch from Murphy's used to come down to Benson and hit our restaurant. Fed them good, got some killer gun deals...amazing what good food will do for you!
Man I still can't recall the name of the gun shop over by the Res. it was back off Valencia. Had the big Winchester Logo on the truck trailer on the side of the building (up to 3 trailers at a time in the lot).
I ordered some MTM for my 300 win and shipping was $2 less then the boxes!Gun show coming Sept 18 &19 at the Fair Grounds!
Glad to hear you got a clean report from the doc!
Old 09-03-2010, 18:16   #19
Rico567

All my plastic ammo boxes are stored....somewhere. A number of years ago I discovered the Ziploc bag, and have never looked back. And they seal so much better than those boxes!

-Virgil
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 18:21   #20
dudel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
Yep, those boxes are perfect for storing Precision Delta bullets which come in plastic bags.
I've done (am doing) that. They also make ammo boxes as well as those utility boxes. I wish they'd ship the 1000's in those boxes.
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote