Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-02-2010, 19:06   #1
Aquagear

Wolf primers

hello new to this forum, was wondering if anyone els has had trouble with wolf primers. I have a Glock 19 and a 34, the 34 has a reduced power striker spring, I use it for IDPA. I have had some failures to fire in the 34, anyone else had this trouble?
Aquagear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 19:24   #2
AZ_Quailhunter
NRA Life Member

No....I have used the Wolf and Tulammo primers.....they work fine, even though a lot of people give them a bad rap.
Old 09-02-2010, 19:24   #3
Glockin26

How long ago did you buy them? I just bought 10k of the brass ones, I shot 5 primers and everyone went off. I haven't loaded any bullets yet though. I remember hearing some people were having problems with wolf primers but at 18$/k i had to try.
Glockin26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 19:28   #4
Aquagear

Mine are the silver colored ones no trouble in my Smith & Wesson revolvers just the Glock
Old 09-02-2010, 19:34   #5
frankmako

so far i have not had any problems with them. at first a stayed away from them, then primers got hard to find and the price was too high.
frankmako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 19:39   #6
LoadedTech

What's happening, light strikes, or maybe you're not seating them in far enough? You should probably post this in the reloading forum and take some pic's of the unfired rounds, primers. Just some advice from a handloader. Maybe you need a factory striker spring?

Last edited by LoadedTech; 09-02-2010 at 19:40..
LoadedTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 19:54   #7
G36_Me

for what its worth, my G17 with non-factory parts was having the same issue with CCI Leadfree Small Pistol primers. I swapped moved back to "factory strength" and all the problems went away.

Interesting enough, my G36 has the same non-factory setup and works fine on all the primers I run through at it. I really like the reduced springs and connector feel. When I'm out of the Leadfree primers, I might try to go back. We'll see. For now I'm happy.
Glock Professional Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
G36_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 20:30   #8
Aquagear

same with my 19 (oh well) I checked seating all were seated well, and the Winchester primers worked just fine. Could have just got a hard batch. Just thought I would ask some fellow Glockers
Old 09-03-2010, 10:22   #9
MrVvrroomm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquagear View Post
...34 has a reduced power striker spring
I went through 10K Wolf small pistol primers, most of them fired through my STOCK sprung Glocks. I didn't have a single one misfire.

Certified Glock Armorer
MrVvrroomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:28   #10
DRAGON1970

I have also loaded and fired a few thousand and not one misfire in the lot.
DRAGON1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:38   #11
amazon

I am one who had a terrible experience. Out of each 100 rounds, easily 20% would FTF. There was a good solid strike on the primer.

I picked them up at a gun show - REALLY cheap. I was happy when I got through the 1000 that were loaded. I wrote it off to either being really old stuff, or not stored properly. Too many folks don't have problems with it.

Got to practice slap, rack, bang alot!
Old 09-04-2010, 09:48   #12
unsigned

I've used 10K wolf primers, only had one or two go click. Another member in my pistol league has had about a 5% failure rate. His was a later batch and to me the failures were very surprising.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:06   #13
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

I've run Wolf SSP for a while now. Just got a new case of 5000 SPP from Wideners last week at $18 a K (bought 2 to split Hazmat ans shiping with a buddy).
Loaded 500 yesterday afternoon for last nights for USPSA practice, all went Bang in my G34 and EMP9
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member

Last edited by Boxerglocker; 09-04-2010 at 10:06..
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:58   #14
njl

There was somebody, either here or on the BE forum who got a batch of Wolf primers with no anvils...and they gave him the run around on replacing them.

Like Wolf ammo, I've been reluctant to try Wolf primers. I still have a box of Wolf 9mm a friend gave me 10 years ago...haven't fired a round from it.
Old 09-04-2010, 14:30   #15
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by njl View Post
There was somebody, either here or on the BE forum who got a batch of Wolf primers with no anvils...and they gave him the run around on replacing them.

Like Wolf ammo, I've been reluctant to try Wolf primers. I still have a box of Wolf 9mm a friend gave me 10 years ago...haven't fired a round from it.
Prior to reloading I shot alot of Wolf 9mm, .40S&W and .45ACP I woulf buy it online from ammoman.com back in the day for $110 delivered for 1000 rounds of 9mm delivered when I lived in CA. It all went BANG, can't recall a single issue with it firing out of my Glocks other than it was dirty.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Boxerglocker; 09-06-2010 at 18:14..
Old 09-04-2010, 15:27   #16
shotgunred
reloading nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
I've run Wolf SSP for a while now. Just got a new case of 5000 SPP from Wideners last week at $18 a K (bought 2 to split Hazmat ans shiping with a buddy).
Loaded 500 yesterday afternoon for last nights for USPSA practice, all went Bang in my G34 and EMP9
No wolf SSP even listed now.
Are tulsa the same as wolf?
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 15:36   #17
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunred View Post
Yeah Mike, looks like they are out now... the order me and another buddy made was early-mid August I just opicked them up from him last week. I've heard rumors that the Tulsa are made in the same factory as Wolf, but am not sure.
&
Old 09-04-2010, 15:44   #18
D. Manley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquagear View Post
hello new to this forum, was wondering if anyone els has had trouble with wolf primers. I have a Glock 19 and a 34, the 34 has a reduced power striker spring, I use it for IDPA. I have had some failures to fire in the 34, anyone else had this trouble?
If you do some searching both here and in the Brian Enos reloading forums you will find a ton of information relative to the problem you describe both with lightened Glock triggers and tuned revolvers. I had about a 6% fail-to-fire ratio using the new version, nickle plated Wolf SPP in my range Glocks with tuned triggers. Experimentation showed that they would ignite just fine in stock setup and a compromise that also works is a stock firing pin (mine are lightened) using a Glock OEM FP spring minus 5-coils...not quite as good trigger pull but, still OK and it will light the primers.

Some loaders have reported that the Wolf primers are harder to seat flush however, I had no problems in this regard. It will certainly do no harm to give them a little extra, "umph" when seating them though. IMHO, they are just a little harder to light...may be a little harder/thicker cup material or, may be the priming compound is just not as sensitive but regardless, I can tell you they ARE harder to light than Federal or Winchester. My guns have never once failed to light Winchesters or Federals and I eventually sold off the Wolf to a friend running guns that handled them fine.
D. Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 19:38   #19
Bultx1215

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunred View Post

Tula is the parent company that makes Wolf. Now it seems they needed another brand name and chose their own.

http://www.wolfammo.ru/en/

One thing I have always noticed about Wolf ammo...the primers are always set a tad deeper. I've always wondered if this is part of the problem some have with Wolfies. My press will set them just under flush, but still not as deep as the factory stuff.
Bultx1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:01   #20
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

I shot 100 Wolf SPPs yesterday in .38 SPL and every one went bang first time. Of course, this was in a Ruger Security Six, which has the hammer force of Thor...

I've shot thousands of Wolf primers, LPP and SPP in revos and 1911s and never noticed any serious problems. I have a S&W 625 in .45 Colt which has a VERY light trigger, and it sometimes (<1%) needs two DA strikes to fire, but that happens with Win primers as well. Only Federals are 100% in that gun.

Cleaning primer pockets and DEEP seating primers help a lot, too.
gwalchmai is online now   Reply With Quote