Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-03-2010, 23:36   #1
GoBuffs!

What ammo to start out with?

Picked up my first handgun a few weeks ago and went with the G19 gen4. In the past I have only had rifles and pretty much stuck with Remington ammo and that has worked well.

From reading the forums here it seems that buying a large variety of ammo is a good way to go as Glocks need a thousand or so rounds through them to be considered broken in. So far I just have 100 rounds of cheap federal walmart ammo through this gun. I am wondering if anyone has any tips on what brand/type of ammo seems to mesh best with Glocks?

There are so many brands out there, I was wondering what the popular choices are for cutting paper at the range and then what brand is most common among Law Enforcement?

Thanks!
GoBuffs! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 23:51   #2
cowboy1964

Literally any ammo at all should work fine in Glocks.

Glocks really don't need breaking in. You should no more have a jam in the first 100 rounds than in any 100 rounds years down the road, unless there is something actually wrong with that particular Glock.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 00:20   #3
DannyR

Federal Champion 115-gr ammo is the most underpowered ammo available and may not function with a brand new gen4 G19. A far better choice is Winchester USA 115-gr.
Bull Dawg #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 00:29   #4
GoBuffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post
Federal Champion 115-gr ammo is the most underpowered ammo available and may not function with a brand new gen4 G19. A far better choice is Winchester USA 115-gr.
That sounds good. I picked up a box of the Winchester and also a box of Remington, both of the 115 gr variety.

Does the +P stuff fly differently? I imagine the ballistics of a hollow point round changes from that of FMJ.
Old 09-04-2010, 00:32   #5
J_Rico

Quote:
Not saying you are wrong. I have no chronometer for testing.

I will say I have put a couple thousand Federal Champion through a G19 and a Star BM with zero issues.
Old 09-04-2010, 00:36   #6
Diesel_Bomber

Buy whatever's cheap and go shooting. A lot. Your Glock will burn through anything without a problem, and if this is your first handgun then you probably need a lot of trigger time.

You might look into a .22 conversion kit, ~$300. Will pay for itself quickly.

Diesel_Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:11   #7
ronin.45

Every Glock I've owned has fed all brands. I would buy the cheapest, quality ammo you can find in the largest quantity you can afford. As for breaking in a Glock, I've never heard of one needing a break-in. They usually run right out of the box.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:08   #8
AZBru88

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBuffs! View Post
That sounds good. I picked up a box of the Winchester and also a box of Remington, both of the 115 gr variety.

Does the +P stuff fly differently? I imagine the ballistics of a hollow point round changes from that of FMJ.
I think at the range you will be shooting your pistol, you won't see a huge difference in +p or JHP's. Once your comfortable and know how your pistol is shooting, try some out. It won't be a earth shattering moment thats for sure. Enjoy your new Glock.
Did you have trouble with the Federal ammo in your gun? I've shoot 2K through my Glocks and never had any problems. It is on the weak side as Danny said. Still cuts paper fine for the price.
AZBru88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:18   #9
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

Never had a problem with any ammo feeding and firing in Glocks. Some is better than others but all has worked.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:09   #10
DannyR

The Gen4 9mm Glocks have stiffer recoil springs than the Gen3's. Weak ammo, like Federal Champion, Blazer and UMC may cause failures to eject, at least while the spring is new. Using normal strength ammo, like Winchester USA and Americal Eagle, avoids this problem. If you want to buy weak ammo and enjoy the pistol clearing exercises, it's your dime.

Just remember, not all ammo is created equally. And also remember we are talking about Gen4 Glocks.
Bull Dawg #1

Last edited by DannyR; 09-04-2010 at 05:10..
DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:39   #11
glock031

Quote:
Are you sure about that Danny?

While shooting out back fed champion 115 rds blast clear through certain timber where as usa white box 115 just knocks off the bark of the same timber. Disclaimer=( i cut these trees down anyway shortly after) Unscientific i know but a reality in my back yard testing. Would love to see a current chrono reading of todays white box ammo. Many stated that win white box has been loosing quality as of late. Not what it once was.

If you do a search about gen4 g17's FTF many were using the white box usa 115gr ammo.

Last edited by glock031; 09-04-2010 at 09:16..
glock031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:01   #12
mervstump

Winchester and Remington

Quote:

Both the Winchester and the Remington are good choices. I've been using both in a G17 for sometime and never had a failure of any kind. BTW, I find the Remington a little dirtier than the Winchester but not enough to make a difference if you clean regularly.

Merv
mervstump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:29   #13
GoBuffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBru88 View Post
I think at the range you will be shooting your pistol, you won't see a huge difference in +p or JHP's. Once your comfortable and know how your pistol is shooting, try some out. It won't be a earth shattering moment thats for sure. Enjoy your new Glock.
Did you have trouble with the Federal ammo in your gun? I've shoot 2K through my Glocks and never had any problems. It is on the weak side as Danny said. Still cuts paper fine for the price.
That I did. First round didn't eject properly but I think it was more to do with me having a little oil on my fingers and the slide not getting pulled back properly before that first shot. No problems after that but I have heard that the spring needs some wear before that cheap federal ammo will compress it far enough to consistently feed another round.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:01   #14
AZBru88

Like Danny says there is a difference, all my Glocks are Gen 3's. Try some other ammo, hope your problem goes away! I know I'm working on a light load for my 10mm's, my G20 I've shot almost 6k through it and my 29 not many. Needless to say my 20 will shoot some very light loads, my 29 had a couple bobbles with. Next session I pump a lot of my full 10mm load through my 29 to loosen it up a bit. Then try some more light loads. Best of luck, enjoy your Gen 4, might have to break down and try one soon!
AZBru88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 23:57   #15
GoBuffs!

Thanks for the tips so far guys. I have Winchester, Remington and Federal to take to the range next time.

I noticed on the box of the Federal ammo, it says not for use by law enforcement. Anyone know what ammo is popular among LEOs?
Old 09-10-2010, 03:12   #16
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Thanks for the tips so far guys. I have Winchester, Remington and Federal to take to the range next time.

I noticed on the box of the Federal ammo, it says not for use by law enforcement. Anyone know what ammo is popular among LEOs?

My department issues .40 165g Speer Gold Dots for duty use.

We shoot Speer Lawman 165g at training and range quals. The Lawman is supposed to shoot identical to the Gold Dots with less expense.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote