GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 20:04   #1
BicycleDay43
00 Buck dude
 
BicycleDay43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oak Grove, Kentucky
Posts: 2,762
Sig P220 Impressions

Last week I bought a used 1998 P220, shot it for the first time today. It has the Hogue wraparound grip with really soaks up recoil. It was flawless using the factory mag, but when I used 10-round Pro-mags that came with it it jammed a lot. Doing an internet search I find the Pro-mags are pretty worthless.

Since I don't know anything about the gun would it be a good idea to change the recoil spring or should I leave well enough alone?

Anyone have opinions about using aluminum jacket ammo in this pistol? (I don't reload.)

For the range I still like my 1911 better, but for a $450 car/travel gun you can't beat it. I looked at a cheaper Ruger P97 also but it had some trigger creep and slide play, unlike the Sig.
BicycleDay43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 23:32   #2
Cobra64
Deals in Facts
 
Cobra64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Depends on where I am.
Posts: 17,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.A.F 2 View Post
Last week I bought a used 1998 P220, shot it for the first time today. It has the Hogue wraparound grip with really soaks up recoil. It was flawless using the factory mag, but when I used 10-round Pro-mags that came with it it jammed a lot. Doing an internet search I find the Pro-mags are pretty worthless.

Since I don't know anything about the gun would it be a good idea to change the recoil spring or should I leave well enough alone?

Anyone have opinions about using aluminum jacket ammo in this pistol? (I don't reload.)

For the range I still like my 1911 better, but for a $450 car/travel gun you can't beat it. I looked at a cheaper Ruger P97 also but it had some trigger creep and slide play, unlike the Sig.
If it's not a CPO, and you are not comfortable servicing your own pistols, SiG has this service package:

SIG SERVICE PACKAGE

Detailed stripping and complete and thorough ultrasonic cleaning of the entire pistol. Professional safety inspection of critical components by factory
certified personnel. Replacement of springs prone to wear ( trigger bar spring, slide catch lever spring, recoil spring) and any needed small parts.
Then lubrication to factory standards, reassembly and function testing. ALSO INCLUDES THE FACTORY INSTALLATION OF SIGLITE NIGHT
SIGHTS.



As for "aluminum jacket" ammo...

Perhaps you are confusing that with Blazer "aluminum case" ammo?
Cobra64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 23:58   #3
backbore
Senior Member
 
backbore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 329
Send a message via Yahoo to backbore
The Sig Service plan is a good deal. If you intend to skip that then just clean it, swap out the recoil spring and shoot the poop out of it. And correct, dump that Promag and never buy one again. CDNN has good pricing on 7 and 8 rd mags from MecGar and Sig and shipping is cheap. I pick mine up from them. Enjoy that thing, it's a good pistol.
__________________
220ST, P228, Two P6's
backbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 20:26   #4
BicycleDay43
00 Buck dude
 
BicycleDay43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oak Grove, Kentucky
Posts: 2,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra64 View Post
If it's not a CPO, and you are not comfortable servicing your own pistols, SiG has this service package:

SIG SERVICE PACKAGE

Detailed stripping and complete and thorough ultrasonic cleaning of the entire pistol. Professional safety inspection of critical components by factory
certified personnel. Replacement of springs prone to wear ( trigger bar spring, slide catch lever spring, recoil spring) and any needed small parts.
Then lubrication to factory standards, reassembly and function testing. ALSO INCLUDES THE FACTORY INSTALLATION OF SIGLITE NIGHT
SIGHTS.



As for "aluminum jacket" ammo...

Perhaps you are confusing that with Blazer "aluminum case" ammo?
Yes, I meant aluminum case ammo. Anyone use it in a P220.

Didn't know about the Sig service package. Seems like a deal, especially since my nitesights are pretty dim.
BicycleDay43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 21:06   #5
lawdog734
Senior Member
 
lawdog734's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.A.F 2 View Post
Yes, I meant aluminum case ammo. Anyone use it in a P220.

Didn't know about the Sig service package. Seems like a deal, especially since my nitesights are pretty dim.
I shot some blaser aluinum case ammo thru my sig 229 in 40 cal with no issues.
lawdog734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 21:54   #6
Cobra64
Deals in Facts
 
Cobra64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Depends on where I am.
Posts: 17,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.A.F 2 View Post
Yes, I meant aluminum case ammo. Anyone use it in a P220.
Do you think that Speer/CCI would make ammo that doesn't work in combat pistols like SiGs?

Before I got into reloading, Blazer aluminum was my #1 choice for high volume usage range ammo. I've cycled over a dozen cases of Blazer aluminum through these:


The Sig Sauer Club


.
Cobra64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 23:39   #7
NMPOPS
Senior Member
 
NMPOPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Arizona / New Mexico
Posts: 850
Send a message via ICQ to NMPOPS
Is yours a two tone (chrome slide / blued lower) ?
__________________
"AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY"
NRA Endowment Life Member, Glock Armorer
NMPOPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 23:54   #8
Cobra64
Deals in Facts
 
Cobra64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Depends on where I am.
Posts: 17,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMPOPS View Post

Is yours a two tone (chrome slide / blued lower) ?
Nope. All stainless steel.


The Sig Sauer Club


.
Cobra64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 14:10   #9
8th SPS USAF
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 581
P220

Pro mags are not reliable IMO. Their 9mm AR mags work fine. TGS has

deals on 220 mags. I just bought some. and ordered new recoil springs

from Brownells. I shot CCI Al out of all my semi autos for years and 9mm

in IDPA for about 5 years. Just shot several hundred out of my 220R

DA/SA, and 220 Carry SAS DAK no problems. I just find CCI AL around

here more(if you can find it) that Walmart's Fed. And I load my own

45acp and 9mm. 8th
8th SPS USAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 19:20   #10
rfd339
Senior Member
 
rfd339's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hendersonville, N.C.
Posts: 3,984
Send a message via Yahoo to rfd339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra64 View Post
If it's not a CPO, and you are not comfortable servicing your own pistols, SiG has this service package:

SIG SERVICE PACKAGE

Detailed stripping and complete and thorough ultrasonic cleaning of the entire pistol. Professional safety inspection of critical components by factory
certified personnel. Replacement of springs prone to wear ( trigger bar spring, slide catch lever spring, recoil spring) and any needed small parts.
Then lubrication to factory standards, reassembly and function testing. ALSO INCLUDES THE FACTORY INSTALLATION OF SIGLITE NIGHT
SIGHTS.



As for "aluminum jacket" ammo...

Perhaps you are confusing that with Blazer "aluminum case" ammo?
This^^^^ and buy some factory Sig mags and you should be good to go . Congrats on the P220. I love mine.


My P220/DAK
The Sig Sauer Club

Last edited by rfd339; 09-08-2010 at 19:21..
rfd339 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 18:19.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,127
332 Members
795 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31