SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-05-2010, 21:59   #1
BurkGlocker
Texas Redneck

40 S&W Black Talon 180 gr testing/G27

I bought some Black Talons awhile back, but also had some Ranger LEO SXT's as well. I figured since they are the same bullet, I could do some testing with the SXTs without wasting out of the black box of twenty.

I used water for this bout of testing. Its been awhile since I have made a block of gel, but had plenty of jugs saved up that I put to good use, something in the neighborhood of 30 jugs. I wanted to make sure I had enough. I know that water nor gelatin is a perfect substitute for flesh and bone, but it gives an approximate idea of expansion and penetration. All testing was done with my G27.

The first bullet from left was into water at 30 feet. Penetration was ~4 jugs, and I say around because it bounced off of the back wall and didnt penetrate the fifth jug. Thats 24" of water, which using an approximation of a 2:1 water vs. gel ratio is close to 11-12" of penetration. Expansion was right at .750". Bullet number two was fired at 10 feet from the jugs. Penetration was 3.5 jugs, as I found it settled in the middle of the jug, but left no indention on the backside. Thats around 10.5-11 inches and expansion was just a little under .740". Bullet number three and four were through 4 layers of denim. Third bullet at 10 feet, and the fourth at 30 feet. Both penetrated completely through 4 jugs and came to rest in the bottom of the fifth. Bullet three measured .685", and the fourth bullet, even though it looks smaller, measured .750" over the talons, which protruded farther than the exposed lead surface.
Caliber Corner

Bottom view of Black Talons:
Caliber Corner

It had been along time since I have seen an expanded Black Talon, and even when comparing them to my Ranger T-Series, I noticed so many differences. Of course the obvious being the Lubalox coating on the BTs, but that should go without saying. LOL But the other main difference was the talons themselves. The Black Talons are ALOT sharper, and I cannot emphasize that enough. One actually stuck in my finger just by picking it up and drew blood. No, I'm not babying, just stating a fact. The Rangers are sharp, but nowhere near the BTs, but their talons are stiffer. I also noticed that the jacket is thicker on the T-Series than it is on the Black Talon.

The Black Talons have come a long way since their inception in the early 90's, and I am glad that I was lucky enough to be able to own some again before prices to start to really skyrocket even further out of control. They are still around today, just naked in a since, letting its black dress off and skinny dipping in the guise of the Ranger T-Series.

Burk
Old 09-07-2010, 02:49   #2
youngbuck
He's Tyrone!

If you dont mind me asking where and for how much did you get those Talons for?
youngbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:54   #3
cadillacguns

Funny, back in the day, I tested on my own BT's too, just in 9&45, I had expansion in some, many filled with wet newspaper, telephone books, whatever I used and did not expand. Some did some didn't, yet to this day I have a total of nineteen in two mags I use as back up in my BUG G-27. I have retired them and replaced them with PDX-1. Still I ponder what the real best overall bullit the "Majic Bullit" is, I have BT/PDX/Gold Dots in 165 and 180 gr flavors. I watch TN Outdoors u-tube scientific water barrel and Koolaid jug killing just to see which round to wear out on the town tonight. At the same time I eat Federal 180 gr Wal-Mart FMJ each week at a local indoor range. Thats what I should carry, the ammo I use all the time, go's boom, feeds well, and groups nicely. Yet I just got a box of Hornaday Critical Defense in a on line deal.

Will it ever end?
GLOCKS #1 FAN!!!

"IN GLOCK WE TRUST"
cadillacguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 13:36   #4
BurkGlocker
Texas Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngbuck View Post
If you dont mind me asking where and for how much did you get those Talons for?
I bought the actual box of Black Talons at a gun show in Wichita Falls for $50. The rest of them that I saw were going for $60 a box, no matter what caliber. The Ranger LEO SXTs I bought from a guy online, a dollar a round for 100 rounds. That was a good deal IMO. They didnt come with the original boxes, but I guess thats why the price was right. No complaints here though.

Burk
Old 09-07-2010, 13:53   #5
BurkGlocker
Texas Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacguns View Post
Funny, back in the day, I tested on my own BT's too, just in 9&45, I had expansion in some, many filled with wet newspaper, telephone books, whatever I used and did not expand. Some did some didn't, yet to this day I have a total of nineteen in two mags I use as back up in my BUG G-27. I have retired them and replaced them with PDX-1. Still I ponder what the real best overall bullit the "Majic Bullit" is, I have BT/PDX/Gold Dots in 165 and 180 gr flavors. I watch TN Outdoors u-tube scientific water barrel and Koolaid jug killing just to see which round to wear out on the town tonight. At the same time I eat Federal 180 gr Wal-Mart FMJ each week at a local indoor range. Thats what I should carry, the ammo I use all the time, go's boom, feeds well, and groups nicely. Yet I just got a box of Hornaday Critical Defense in a on line deal.

Will it ever end?

My carry rounds are 165 gr Ranger T-Series in the G27 and 180 gr HSTs in the G22. I also use the 180 gr Federal FMJ for practice, but use all of that brass to load up 180 or 155 gr Hornady XTPs. I have a whole slew of different types of ammo, mostly that I have used for testing purposes to find out what ammo would function properly in my firearm and what the terminal performance would be if I had to ever use them.

I bought the BTs mostly for nostalgia purposes, but if the SHTF, I would have no qualms using them up.

Burk
Old 09-07-2010, 14:33   #6
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Nice results... obviously the teflon coating did its job.
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote