Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-07-2010, 20:25   #1
trlcavscout

Switched to the 40, now what?

Ok after reading everything and asking everybody heres advice I switched to the 40, picked up a new RTF2 G22 today. So I am thinking about starting with the 3.5gr Titegroup and 180 bullet. Anybody have a better load for soft shooting mild competition use type stuff? I broke it in this afternoon with some hot factory HP's I had laying around (not the good ones though ). No I am just waiting till payday to get some dies, supplies and more brass. I have had many 40's in the past and like them for work and they are fun to shoot, just to $ when I wasnt reloading.
Old 09-07-2010, 21:25   #2
D. Manley

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlcavscout View Post
Ok after reading everything and asking everybody heres advice I switched to the 40, picked up a new RTF2 G22 today. So I am thinking about starting with the 3.5gr Titegroup and 180 bullet. Anybody have a better load for soft shooting mild competition use type stuff? I broke it in this afternoon with some hot factory HP's I had laying around (not the good ones though ). No I am just waiting till payday to get some dies, supplies and more brass. I have had many 40's in the past and like them for work and they are fun to shoot, just to $ when I wasnt reloading.
That is a sweet load in a .40. I have a lot of loads that shoot very well with that bullet which I seat both HP & FP versions to 1.130 OAL:

4.0 grains of N-320
4.5 grains N-330
5.3 grains WSF
5.5 grains Silhouette

The 3.5 TG and 4.0 N-320 loads are my favorites...both soft shooting and turn in very nice 25 yard groups. My G-35 doesn't seem too picky with the 180 or 165 grain bullets.
D. Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 21:35   #3
trlcavscout

Cool thanks. I was thinking about a 35, went to the LE dealer and seen on the board a used 35 for $400 I thought man I am in business!. Of course it sold 2 days ago and I dont want it bad enough to pay $509.

I have shot alot of 40, all factory loads, and while manageable I would never call them soft. But if you guys say you can make them soft enough for competition I am game! I like the 40 for work.
Old 09-07-2010, 21:36   #4
AZBru88

"Switched to 40, now what?"

Hope it grows up and because a 10mm!
Sorry Travis couldn't resist! Enjoy your new 22! Have fun load safe..Bru
AZBru88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 21:51   #5
trlcavscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBru88 View Post
"Switched to 40, now what?"

Hope it grows up and because a 10mm!
Sorry Travis couldn't resist! Enjoy your new 22! Have fun load safe..Bru
Hey that is 10mm's of awesome no doubt but i just dont think I could harness that much earth moving power fast enough to shoot GSSF with it, In fact I truly believe that after 1 shot the plate rack would be cut into 2 pieces and the holes in the target would be so big they would call all shots misses after the first shot took out the center
Old 09-07-2010, 22:43   #6
Glockin26

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Manley View Post
That is a sweet load in a .40. I have a lot of loads that shoot very well with that bullet which I seat both HP & FP versions to 1.130 OAL:

4.0 grains of N-320
4.5 grains N-330
5.3 grains WSF
5.5 grains Silhouette

The 3.5 TG and 4.0 N-320 loads are my favorites...both soft shooting and turn in very nice 25 yard groups. My G-35 doesn't seem too picky with the 180 or 165 grain bullets.

Same load i use for plinking, Ive been messing around with blue dot lately and up to 8 grains with 165gr RNFP 1.125 OAL. I love the muzzle flash.
Glockin26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:47   #7
shotgunred
reloading nut

for a soft IDPA load try 3.7 gr win231. 180 gr bullet
and motivated by pride and vanity.

Last edited by shotgunred; 09-08-2010 at 04:48..
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:00   #8
albyihat

i have had great results with titegroup and 180gr bullets. although i use 4.0gr, i am gettiing 850fps with 4.0gr out of my g22 (stock). recoil and flash is minimal.
albyihat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:33   #9
coachg

I use 4.2 Gr Power Pistol with a 180 gr Bear Creek Moly coated bullet. Soft and pretty cheap shooting with the 40. They recommend the slower powder with the Moly coating and it works well. 4.7 with their 155 gr is also nice and even cheaper.
coachg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:22   #10
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

I like that 3.5 TG with a 180 load.... used to load it for my Glock 23/27. However it got to a point where I thought, if I'm gonna load so soft for games.... I might as well shoot more 9mm which is cheaper...

I then dropped all my .40's and opted to carry .45ACP in a G30SF and started venturing into a 1911 platform for IDPA CDP and USPSA Single stack. I may go back to a .40 later down the line but for limited major in a 2011 gun I would think...
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:22   #11
plasticpistol

switch to a 9
plasticpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 14:04   #12
FLSlim

I've been using Power Pistol with 180 FMJ. It seems to be a versatile power in the 40. I've loaded it fairly light from 5.3 and up to midrange of 6.2 and all loads were reasonably accurate and functioned without problems out of my G23. All my PP loads were OAL of 1.123.
Florida Glockers Club #1040
Big Dogs Club #1592
FLSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 19:24   #13
trlcavscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticpistol View Post
switch to a 9
I just sold a 9 (3 of them). I like the idea of 40 so I can use it for work and play. I really like factory 40 loads for plinking, just want it a little softer for GSSF shooting. And I wont carry a 9 for work even though I could. Now I just have to shoot up 500rds of WWB 165gr FMJ and 250rds of HP's for the brass, I only have 250 pieces so far. Gonna be a fun sunday

I need to shoot up a couple hundred rounds of 223 in my AR for the brass also.
Old 09-09-2010, 19:27   #14
KiloBravo
Lifetime Newb

Quote:
I just sold a 9 (3 of them). I like the idea of 40 so I can use it for work and play. I really like factory 40 loads for plinking, just want it a little softer for GSSF shooting. And I wont carry a 9 for work even though I could. Now I just have to shoot up 500rds of WWB 165gr FMJ and 250rds of HP's for the brass, I only have 250 pieces so far. Gonna be a fun sunday

You are as bad as me shooting up all of your ammo just to have brass to reload.

I have it pretty lucky though. One of the local outdoor ranges is on state game land. It always has PLENTY of 9 and 40 for me to pick up. They are both very popular calibers around here.
Old 09-09-2010, 19:56   #15
shotgunred
reloading nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerPredator View Post
I have it pretty lucky though. One of the local outdoor ranges is on state game land. It always has PLENTY of 9 and 40 for me to pick up. They are both very popular calibers around here.
I wish that was true around here.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 21:22   #16
AZBru88

Quote:
Hey that is 10mm's of awesome no doubt but i just dont think I could harness that much earth moving power fast enough to shoot GSSF with it, In fact I truly believe that after 1 shot the plate rack would be cut into 2 pieces and the holes in the target would be so big they would call all shots misses after the first shot took out the center
I thought for major subs I'd load my light loads in my 29, last round one of my boomer loads! Hopefully if the bullets haven't knocked the plates over the extra concussion will!Maybe I better stick to my light loads and make sure my aim is on!
Hope things are going well. Went to Armorers school yesterday, that was great. Now I need to practice on my up coming first GSSF match. I did get a great laugh at your reply....I had to reweld my plate rack back together! Went to a heavy chain hanging my plates from the angle iron. Blew most of the eye bolts to pieces hitting the plates with my full house 10mm loads!
Enjoy your new gun, hope your practice is going well....Bru
AZBru88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 21:24   #17
AZson

Quote:
Good load, I'm experimenting with some red dot on my next loads.
Old 09-09-2010, 21:33   #18
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:

Or you could sell the factory stuff and buy once fired brass from any number of sources, get 2 to 3 times as much to reload.

I get 99% of my brass free at the local indoor range. I like to go on Sunday during the busy casual shooters times... politely ask if they are taking it with... then when they say no... I sweep up the entire bay....bag it and run it through the shell sorter at home... last trip was about 10 pounds worth or assorted 9, 40 and 45.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member

Last edited by Boxerglocker; 09-09-2010 at 21:37..
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 21:45   #19
AZson

I bought a crap load of reloading equipment and supplies off a guy on Craigslist a few years ago, what I didn't want I sold. So I basically reload for free now.
Old 09-10-2010, 16:51   #20
KiloBravo
Lifetime Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunred View Post
I wish that was true around here.
If I ever feel like I have enough extra laying around. I would be happy to ship you a couple hundred pieces.

The nice part is, all of the range officers love it when I pick it all up. Then they don't have to pay to get rid of it all.