SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-04-2010, 20:51   #1
MTS532

Send a message via AIM to MTS532
.45 GAP and US military interest?

Does anybody have any more information on the US Marines' interest in the G37 a few years ago?

Seems to me that a smaller .45 caliber pistol with all the ballistic performance of the proven .45 ACP would be the perfect service pistol.

http://www.tonyrogers.com/news/glock_37_usmc.htm

If the military really is interested on acquiring such a pistol, they are keeping it quiet. The .45 GAP is such a obvious choice. And the G37 would bring all the best features of together. Lightweight, simplicity, proven reliability and proven "stopping power."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
MTS532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 21:07   #2
Slug71

Interesting thread. Looking forward to further info.

Would be awesome if this pistol was looked into by more services. Who knows, maybe now that more Police are getting it, it may be striking more interest to Military.
Bull Dawgs Club #571
Rimfire Club #571
Slug71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:18   #3
DannyR

Military procurement is a strange process that defies explanation.
Bull Dawg #1

DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:20   #4
legacy38

I don't know if there has ever been any official interest by the military or not. Back during the heat of the of the Iraq War, I was speaking with a couple of people at Glock, and I suggested that they find a unit that was going in theater and offer to equip them with Glock 37s and then do a quality debrief of the troops during deployment and upon completion of their tour.

I thought it would be an interesting comparison study to the performance and reviews for the M9. Might be hard to get clearance for such a test, and I don't know if Glock even considered trying.

I'm sure they get lots of suggestions for what people think they should do. LOL.
legacy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:58   #5
nastytrigger
Mediocre Member

It won't happen. M9 is here to stay for awhile. I would think a .45ACP would beat out a GAP just based on some SF soldiers already have 1911s, HK23, etc. I like GAP and hope it has a bright future, but I don't see it in military service.
Old 09-05-2010, 14:20   #6
tuica

Unfortunate that the 45GAP is competing with two cartridges that have firmly entrenched themselves in their respective arenas for nearly 100 years. And what about the 40 S&W? That, or either of the 45's - would be chosen by me over the 9mm.
Old 09-08-2010, 15:52   #7
MTS532

Send a message via AIM to MTS532
Here's an Army Times article from 2005 about their search for a new .45 caliber handgun. It seems that the notion was at least considered before it suddenly vanished. Scroll down a bit for to read the story.

http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/show...ervice-Pistol&

Last edited by MTS532; 09-08-2010 at 15:55..
MTS532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:19   #8
NIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS532 View Post
Does anybody have any more information on the US Marines' interest in the G37 a few years ago?

Seems to me that a smaller .45 caliber pistol with all the ballistic performance of the proven .45 ACP would be the perfect service pistol.

http://www.tonyrogers.com/news/glock_37_usmc.htm

If the military really is interested on acquiring such a pistol, they are keeping it quiet. The .45 GAP is such a obvious choice. And the G37 would bring all the best features of together. Lightweight, simplicity, proven reliability and proven "stopping power."
That article originally by David Crane was proven to be bunk and he received a lot of flak over it.

Hate to break it but we will not see a new Military sidearm for at least another 10 years.
Who blind your eyes and steal your dreams
It's Heaven and Hell

Last edited by NIB; 09-09-2010 at 04:19..
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote